Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

1 hour ago, admiles said:

In fairness to AGA that service would probably usually been a 3 car class 170 but as AGA only have a couple of 170s left it was probably the best of what was available (2 car 170, 2 car 156 or single car 153!).

The transition to the new fleet was always going to be tricky. More so when the 170s are leaving before enough 755s are ready to take over. I believe AGA didn't have a choice as to when the 170s left!

And if what I've been told comes to pass the 156s will be out the door by year end as well. Indeed several should be going by the end of this month, believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

And if what I've been told comes to pass the 156s will be out the door by year end as well. Indeed several should be going by the end of this month, believe it when I see it.

One been to and one currently at Derby (Etches Park) to get their maintenance schedule in line with EMRs

170205 is the last remaining 3-car 170

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 08:43, beast66606 said:

For info :

755s (412) commenced public service on the Felixstowe line this week (as mentioned above). It's settled down after failing at Brandon on it's first day in service

755402 became the first unit to traverse the Chippenham Jct - Cambridge section of line yesterday and 755s should enter service on that line on Monday but will not call at Kennett on the outbound (to Cambridge) service nor Elmswell on the return due to on going SDO issues. Minibuses have been arranged to ferry passengers between Bury St Edmunds and these station.

Does anyone know if the 755's are running on the Ipswich - Cambridge service today? I've had a look on Realtime trains and it says this service is pathed as a Class 321 EMU which I don't understand.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Keith J said:

Does anyone know if the 755's are running on the Ipswich - Cambridge service today? I've had a look on Realtime trains and it says this service is pathed as a Class 321 EMU which I don't understand.

Tomorrow is the debut - as mentioned on the previous page. Paths are in RTT for performance characteristics, not for actual unut allocation.

6 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Tomorrow is the debut - as mentioned on the previous page. Paths are in RTT for performance characteristics, not for actual unut allocation.

Ah! OK, thanks. 

Tin Rocket in again this morning so 412 is my first new train scoop on the 16:29 NMT-SMK. Difficult rail conditions admittedly but a very juddery get away. I'd prefer a less upright seat with perhaps a bit more cushion to it too as in the 170s, but compared to a Cl.153 wedgefest, I'll take it.

_20191126_164026.JPG.7a53a295021bce265c221d1d49daba76.JPG

C6T. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

336 is indeed on the Felixstowes this morning.

Today is also the first day on which there are more Flirts in service than "heritage" units, 11 10 vs 9 (thanks to MR for info)

Edited by beast66606
755423 trapped in depot so not in service.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Didn't last long, 156412 covering 755423 diagram and 755419 has failed on the Ipswich / Cambridge circuit.

They must have turned 419 off and on again then Skip, she whisked me hoom from Needham and is en route to Cambridge.

C6T. 

As an aside, if anyone rocks up to a station looking to Flirt, if the public information display omits mentioning coach numbers, it's likely to be a Stadler working, possibly, I think. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

They must have turned 419 off and on again then Skip, she whisked me hoom from Needham and is en route to Cambridge.

C6T. 

As an aside, if anyone rocks up to a station looking to Flirt, if the public information display omits mentioning coach numbers, it's likely to be a Stadler working, possibly, I think. 

They did, resumed working on the 14:20 (iirc).

The 156 was swapped for 755415 so numbers were back by the afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently they are now running on OHLE from Ipswich - Stowmarket where the pan is dropped and can get up to 100mph with ease so when they settle the quality of the service should be good.

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, great central said:

According to a post on WNXX, staff have been told in quite 'robust' terms not to call the units 'Stragglers'. 

Also mentioned is the nickname given by maintenance staff of Basil's for the 4 car variant and Sybil's for the 3. Because they're always Fawlty:diablo_mini:

Enthusiasts have adopted Ironman as the class nick

23 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Apparently they are now running on OHLE from Ipswich - Stowmarket where the pan is dropped and can get up to 100mph with ease so when they settle the quality of the service should be good.

I tell you what, whatever the reason is, the two I've had from Needham on the 16:29 departure thus far have had a notable dwell before setting off. I don't think it's a pax ingress/egress issue because even the three car Turbo's didn't hang around. I can only assume that they pick their skirts up and decelerate really well between Ipswich and Needham. I'd be interested to see comparative start/stop performance figures with other traction.

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve not been down to Peterborough station for awhile due to health issues but with the Class 170’s fast disappearing, what’s been replacing them on the Ipswich - Peterborough route?  Also, have the new units made an appearance along the route yet?

Edited by jools1959

On 25/11/2019 at 14:00, great central said:

Probably depends on the Rosco deal and the subsequent user.  Those GOBLIN 172s left the East London before their late delivered replacements arrived, and that was a "London" railway. The 170s have moved to Canton before Greater Anglia could deliver enough Stadlers to service.

The 156s may be a little lower down the food chain but I suggest it might be the paperwork which comes to the fore.  

12 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I tell you what, whatever the reason is, the two I've had from Needham on the 16:29 departure thus far have had a notable dwell before setting off. I don't think it's a pax ingress/egress issue because even the three car Turbo's didn't hang around. I can only assume that they pick their skirts up and decelerate really well between Ipswich and Needham. I'd be interested to see comparative start/stop performance figures with other traction.

C6T. 

It's a 100mph electric train replacing a 75mph DMU. In a drag race there's only going to be one winner.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve not been down to Peterborough station for awhile due to health issues but with the Class 170’s fast disappearing, what’s been replacing them on the Ipswich - Peterborough route?  Also, have the new units made an appearance along the route yet?

Not on the Ipswich - P/boro yet, you will probably get 156s or if you're "lucky" a 153

All 170s except 170271 have gone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

Th extra dwell is (as mentioned above) because the new units have superior acceleration and braking so are often ahead of time, I would assume that the timetables will eventually be recast to suit that performance.

• Informative/Useful 1

Travelled on my first 755/4 to Ely and back today. Despite the trip to Ely running late and being full to standing by the time it got to Brandon, very impressed by the acceleration and braking on the journey and it was making up time well.

Trip back was quieter and I actually got (a very comfortable) seat. Carriage was quiet and smooth and reminded me of travelling with SBB on our Swiss trips. A very big improvement from the 170 and 156 last time I did the trip :)

• Like 4