Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Keith J said:

It will all be resolved with citrus oil apparently.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/greater-anglia-new-trains-problems-citrus-oil-1-6417275

I wonder now if GA will retract their earlier statements, or at least clarify, that it wasn't (as implied) wholly a "signalling problem", but a wheel contamination problem with the new units? 

• Like 3

I did discover this false idol (made of sand) upon an altar at Great Yarmouth station today.........

DSCF4691.JPG.61a196f5e13a98879e0fdfbf0e3eae7f.JPG

Unfortunately the letters S and H appear to be missing from the start of the exhortation stated on the base.........

I'm not going to be in a hurry to use GA again after the shambles of the last 7 days, and, given the seeming lack of passengers on the trains I've been travelling on, I wonder how many others GA have lost as a result of this fiasco?

All 755s appeared to be having the "safety inspections" (which the other trains don't need...) conducted by someone with a bottle/spray set up before being allowed to operate, said services running late as a result.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I did discover this false idol (made of sand) upon an altar at Great Yarmouth station today.........

DSCF4691.JPG.61a196f5e13a98879e0fdfbf0e3eae7f.JPG

Unfortunately the letters S and H appear to be missing from the start of the exhortation stated on the base.........

I'm not going to be in a hurry to use GA again after the shambles of the last 7 days, and, given the seeming lack of passengers on the trains I've been travelling on, I wonder how many others GA have lost as a result of this fiasco?

All 755s appeared to be having the "safety inspections" (which the other trains don't need...) conducted by someone with a bottle/spray set up before being allowed to operate, said services running late as a result.

Did you not have a pen with you?

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 09:37, russ p said:

I can't understand why they aren't trying to hire some stock, I know it wouldn't be too popular up north but hire 153s and 156s off northern and keep the 142s a bit longer.  They couldn't be used on GA as no one signs them 

Then there is always the short set(s) but the modern railway is too obsessed with image to let BR stock replace their shiny new white  elephants 

When BR had problems with 143s and 155s they used anything to keep the job running and 158s were kept out of it when it was realised they needed track circuit actuators until they were fitted 

Something I actually agree with you on!

I suspect it falls into the "too difficult to make happen" file.  I would have thought trying to recall the departed 153s/170s on a temporary basis might have been an idea. I suspect GA would have probably been told "no" anyway.

1 hour ago, admiles said:

I suspect it falls into the "too difficult to make happen" file.  I would have thought trying to recall the departed 153s/170s on a temporary basis might have been an idea. I suspect GA would have probably been told "no" anyway.

This is the thing - no one here can say (publicly) what they might have tried to do behind the scenes. Perhaps they have been trying to get more stock in, and it's not been possible for whatever reason, I imagine some enquiries have been launched in the direction of various suppliers at least (but that's just me speculating). Nobody has a big batch of route cleared DMUs which the staff know just sitting there waiting for the call, so anything else would have several moving parts. And for all we know they might be expecting the new trains back in full service in a matter of days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

This is the thing - no one here can say (publicly) what they might have tried to do behind the scenes. Perhaps they have been trying to get more stock in, and it's not been possible for whatever reason, I imagine some enquiries have been launched in the direction of various suppliers at least (but that's just me speculating). Nobody has a big batch of route cleared DMUs which the staff know just sitting there waiting for the call, so anything else would have several moving parts. And for all we know they might be expecting the new trains back in full service in a matter of days.

From what GA management are saying on the local news sounds like a prolonged problem 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Surely DRS have a load of route cleared 37's, 68's and mk2 coaches? They did earlier in the year!

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Surely DRS have a load of route cleared 37's, 68's and mk2 coaches? They did earlier in the year!

Mk2s non compliant after Xmas and additionally they are not authorised for passenger use on all routes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

I observed a 4 car set crossing the A1075 near Thetford this morning. The crossing operated correctly but the unit was vislibly travelling very slowly, unusually so from my limited experience.

I think Croxton has had a TSR for a while now.but @russ p will be better able to comment

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

Probably absolutely nothing to do with this debacle but I saw 37425 idling at the RTC in Derby this morning, apparently it was thrashing away on the load bank later. Completely debranded it's been there untouched for quite a while.

Also 37419 was seen running a few days ago.

We can but dream

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, great central said:

Probably absolutely nothing to do with this debacle but I saw 37425 idling at the RTC in Derby this morning, apparently it was thrashing away on the load bank later. Completely debranded it's been there untouched for quite a while.

Also 37419 was seen running a few days ago.

We can but dream

Its supposed to be getting an overhaul 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, russ p said:

Croxton has had a 40mph on for years because someone thought that the road was too fast upto the crossing why they didn't put a speed limit on that....... don't ask!

Its down to 40mph for sighting reasons.... I thought that the fact that it has barriers was so that you don't need to look to cross the thing.....

Andy G

Edit: Its easier to put a speed on the railway than a road, as unless someone has died its difficult to get that limit down, whereas a phone call can get an ESR on (I know I've done it!)

Edited by uax6
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, russ p said:

Croxton has had a 40mph on for years because someone thought that the road was too fast upto the crossing why they didn't put a speed limit on that....... don't ask!

Always wondered why they were slow at Croxton. It's far enough away from Thetford for them not to be going that slow. But then one of my first experiences when it became a regular drive for me was the lorry coming the other way not quite stopping behind the line and the barrier coming down on his cab roof.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

Edit: Its easier to put a speed on the railway than a road......

And no doubt that "Highways" would argue (possibly correctly) that the road was there before the railway came along, so the railway should adapt to the road "conditions" rather than the other way round.

8 hours ago, admiles said:

Written elsewhere by respected journalist that Abellio have instructed GA to release the 153&156 fleets on the planned dates. They move to EMR,  another Abellio franchise.

Also suggestion that the GA class 90s, which were off lease at end of this month have been subleased from FL until March but further extension unlikely as the FL 86/6s start becoming due major overhauls at that point which won’t be funded.

an interesting few months awaits in Anglia region.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2