Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

17 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Yes they are - Ely/Stansted is on OHLE

When I was in the box on saturday, the SSM mentioned that the service was starting but our area manager told us that the 755s werent cleared to use the overheads anywhere yet as they still haven't fixed the problem with the auto lower function on the pantographs and also because there hasn't been sufficient testing on the cambridge-stanstead OHL section. Unless they've suddenly deemed it "tested" so they dont miss the new timetable. The units wont make it from Norwich to Stanstead and back on a tank apparently. I'll check when I get back in at 18:00.

Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

23 minutes ago, Siggie in the east said:

The units wont make it from Norwich to Stanstead and back on a tank apparently.

That sounds like they'd need refuelling between Norwich - Cambridge (or Ely) runs as well, which would be a rather small capacity tank.

I could probably believe that they won't do a whole day of diesel only Norwich - Stansteds on one tank, but one round trip being too much is a bit of a stretch. Which is not to say it isn't true!

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

That sounds like they'd need refuelling between Norwich - Cambridge (or Ely) runs as well, which would be a rather small capacity tank.

I could probably believe that they won't do a whole day of diesel only Norwich - Stansteds on one tank, but one round trip being too much is a bit of a stretch. Which is not to say it isn't true!

They are putting fuel troughs in at Shippea Hill!

• Funny 12

17 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

For some reason I thought they weren't yet cleared for the ohl between Ely and Cambridge. 

Useful to know they've started the Stanstead services, hopefully it's a path that stays. I can remember it being spoken about a while ago, I do like the idea of being able to walk up the road to the station and get to Stanstead easily, no worrying about driving or parking costs. I think the most difficult bit will be persuading the wife she can walk the 30min to the station next time we plan a holiday...

Friend of mine has this sorted, drive wife and luggage to station, drop off, drive car home and walk back.  Repeat in reverse order on return.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I didn't want to contradict those with superior knowledge but each of the ones I have had and one I've seen running since the bridge bash and the current woes have all been on diesel between Stow and Ipswich.

C6T. 

I suspect at the moment there's a "take the path of least resistance" approach, so on diesel all the way is easiest and minimises the risk of another bridge bash.

I haven't see Ely / Stansted but others down that way have and "confirm" they are on overheads. (in "" because they are enthusiasts, albeit a few of them, rather than GA lads)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

755327 (the second /3 into service) has (apparently) launched on 2S30, 18:55, Norwich - Cromer

Unfortunately the return working of 2S30 has been sitting at Hoveton for over 90 mins now - trouble at t'mill ? - there's an on going trespass incident at the moment and it may be affecting this service, so may not be a Basil moment.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Unfortunately the return working of 2S30 has been sitting at Hoveton for over 90 mins now - trouble at t'mill ? - there's an on going trespass incident at the moment and it may be affecting this service, so may not be a Basil moment.

The problem was caused by a trespasser at Whitlingham Jct so not a Basil moment.

Annoyingly this mornings delivery of 745106 is running 45 early, so in the pitch black, meaning no photograph for me - only the second delivery I've missed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The latest from the local comic.....

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/greater-anglia-new-trains-cleared-1-6428610

Interesting that the problem is now being said to be affecting all types of trains on the Sheringham line, but that there are no problems anywhere else........(apart from the minor fact they haven't got enough stock to run the IPS-PBO service until the new year...)

If its the signalling on the Sheringham line, can we look forward to a further shambles when the Wherry lines are converted to new signalling in February?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Interesting that the problem is now being said to be affecting all types of trains on the Sheringham line, but that there are no problems anywhere else........(apart from the minor fact they haven't got enough stock to run the IPS-PBO service until the new year...)

If its the signalling on the Sheringham line, can we look forward to a further shambles when the Wherry lines are converted to new signalling in February?

The track circuits on the Cromer / Sheringham line are different to other lines, hence the uniqueness of the issue there. The resignalling of the Yarmouth and Lowestoft lines should not see the same issues, whether it brings other issues is a different matter of course.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, beast66606 said:

The track circuits on the Cromer / Sheringham line are different to other lines, hence the uniqueness of the issue there. The resignalling of the Yarmouth and Lowestoft lines should not see the same issues, whether it brings other issues is a different matter of course.

Youre correct there. The signalling system is an american system fitted back in 2000 according to the S&T tech who looks after Colchester PSB. It's a complicated system I have to admit but works completely differently to say the TCB system used in the Up/Down main to London. 

The system on the Brundall and Lowestoft workstations is another different system that I believe is working g with axel counters just like the ESK. I'll check that when I get in later as the technicians are working on it at the moment from our end.

The chap who built the superb O gauge model of Cromer told me about the signalling on the line. He may or may not have said (having replicated it faithfully in operation as well as appearance) it's five times more complicated than it needs to be.

Was the line a guinea pig test ground for the system for appraisal purposes?

C6T. 

5 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

There is no shortage of trains, this is incorrect and is yet more rumours from people outside the railway industry who have no knowledge of what is going on. I feel sorry for Greater Anglia when constant rumour is being spread about them that has no basis on reality. 

The issues on the Peterborough Line are caused by the earlier fault with the signalling system which has meant that whilst there are enough trains, they have not yet been cleared to run on the Ipswich to Peterborough Line. Do you really expect them to run trains before they have trained their staff on the line and established it is safe?

Several trains on some of the rural lines such as Norwich and Ipswich to Cambridge have been hit by signalling system issues again today causing some pretty hefty delays. Instead of constantly berating Greater Anglia, try blaming Network Rail. 

The signalling issues over the past three weeks are what have caused issues on Greater Anglia. This has effected both new and old trains and the idea that new trains are the problem really doesn't hold any water.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you read much of this thread yet then? You seem to have happily jumped to the conclusion that it is all NR's fault.....

If you know whats going on, what are the signalling issues that are NR s fault then?

Andy G

(One of those on this thread that are on the inside of the lineside fence...)

• Agree 7

GA have been open and very transparent and honest with what is going on. The amount of conspiracy theories about the new trains on here, twitter and other social media must be very frustrating for GA who are transforming rail services in East Anglia.

The new trains are not the problem. There is nothing wrong with their performance or their design. How ever much people keep adding 2+2 together and coming up with five because of a false perception, it won't change things. 

Unfortunately GA have been unable to run a good service, because of a fault with the signalling system. No matter how much you try and blame Greater Anglia for this, they do not run the signalling system, Network Rail do, so perhaps give them a call.

The signalling problems are continuing to seriously effect the Norwich to Sheringham line. Despite rumour from those who know nothing, as Greater Anglia have said, all trains., including diesel trains and freight trains have been affected by these problems. The constant banging of the drums that only the new trains are having problems because of the fault with the signalling system is simply not true. 

Edited by Rail Way

• RMweb Premium

Wow, That's a strong statement of 'facts'. Sadly how do you explain that there new trains seem to have issues operating level crossing equipment, but no-one elses do?

If you actually take the time to properly read this thread you will notice that its actually very balanced, and huge amounts of inside knowledge is being levied out to what is actually going on.

Or you can continue to only half read and think that GA's trains are not the problem and its all Nr's...

Andy G

• Agree 6

7 minutes ago, Rail Way said:

GA have been open and very transparent and honest with what is going on. The amount of conspiracy theories about the new trains on here, twitter and other social media must be very frustrating for GA who are transforming rail services in East Anglia.

The new trains are not the problem. There is nothing wrong with their performance or their design. How ever much people keep adding 2+2 together and coming up with five because of a false perception, it won't change things. 

Unfortunately GA have been unable to run a good service, because of a fault with the signalling system. No matter how much you try and blame Greater Anglia for this, they do not run the signalling system, Network Rail do, so perhaps give them a call.

The signalling problems are continuing to seriously effect the Norwich to Sheringham line. Despite rumour from those who know nothing, as Greater Anglia have said, all trains., including diesel trains and freight trains have been affected by these problems. The constant banging of the drums that only the new trains are having problems because of the fault with the signalling system is simply not true. 

Right.  So what you are basically saying is in the Autumns prior to 2019 there were still signalling problems, but they didn't really cause the level of disruption we have witnessed in the past three months ? Some of that may be the case because NR have commissioned a lot of new signalling over the last year or so.

But sorry, I am not totally buying it.  GA would not be cleaning wheelsets with citrus oil if they knew the Stadlers were not a problem.  Don't get me wrong, Stadler have a huge reputation, and I find it very difficult to believe their products don't interact with the infrastructure here in the UK like they do in Holland, Germany and Switzerland.

Was the testing at Velim concluded satisfactorily ?

17 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Wow, That's a strong statement of 'facts'. Sadly how do you explain that there new trains seem to have issues operating level crossing equipment, but no-one elses do?

If you actually take the time to properly read this thread you will notice that its actually very balanced, and huge amounts of inside knowledge is being levied out to what is actually going on.

Or you can continue to only half read and think that GA's trains are not the problem and its all Nr's...

Andy G

Have you read any statement that Greater Anglia have put out? There is a very good FAQ on their site that explains it. Are you really saying that the operator is being economical with the truth? That's a pretty big accusation to make without any actual proof. 

If we are talking about the line where there was a near miss, if it was just the new trains, can you explain why the changes to level crossings, speed reductions and new approach by Network Rail to dealing with these crossings is applying to all trains? If it was only the new trains, surely they would only apply such process to them, right? 

• RMweb Premium

Do you know what NR has actually done then?

They have done what the law requires them to do, mitigate against a risk that has now arisen. So having some crossings on local control and introducing severe speed restrictions over others is part of managing that risk. It DOES NOT mean that the fault is with NR's equipment. NR are just doing what they have to.

If you had any understanding of how trains actually get from A to B you would realise that it is sometimes easier to tar all things with the same brush, than to deal with the individual culprits. On a panel it would seriously overload the signalman to do this, so the long tar brush approach is used.

What proof have you got that the faults isn't with the new trains? What proof do you have to that GA are telling the true truth?

Andy G

• Like 4