Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fenman said:

That makes it worse, doesn’t it? If Bombardier’s products are just developments of ancient designs (BR disappeared a quarter-century ago), *and* it knows the UK market better than any other company, why are its trains so very late compared to the delivery schedule?

Still, we can hope that they’ll be faster to settle in than the admittedly more complex Flirts (though the reliability tables in Modern Railways don’t look hopeful).

Paul

Absolutely not, the BR trains were built with years of experience and testing.  The 170s did have a few problems but nothing like this and they evolved from the 165/168s which evolved from the 158 and so on

While it pains me to say it as I hate the bloody things 66s have been so successful because they are evolutions of locos that go back to the 30s 

14 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Tivetshall

27 January 2020

37800, Cassiopeia, and 745002 on 5Q09, 08:50, Parkeston H.S. - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (10:20)

DAS849032.jpg.427491e2a3ca2d6c2eb1db434c028d80.jpg

This formation is probably a vision of the future.

Stu

• Funny 4

It's been there since 9:15! All the passengers are still on it and land sheriffs have had to attend the scene to stop people forcing the doors open and leaving the train. To make things worse, the 37 tried to couple up, messed it all up and caused an air leak, so tried a different coupler and it wouldn't work. So not sure what the plan is next but a train from Liv St. is being prepped to go and help remove the passengers. This is getting worse as the days go by. Not looking forward to work tomorrow :(

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, hope they get everything sorted by the middle of April as I'm booked on a UK Railtours charter (hauled by Clan Line) from Kings X to Norwich on Saturday April 18th with a 4 1/2 hour break at Norwich during which time I was thinking of a trip to and from Lowestoft on one of the new units.

Don't fancy the idea of being marooned at Lowestoft or somewhere else in between and missing dinner on the charter back to London!!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Siggie in the east said:

It's been there since 9:15! All the passengers are still on it and land sheriffs have had to attend the scene to stop people forcing the doors open and leaving the train. To make things worse, the 37 tried to couple up, messed it all up and caused an air leak, so tried a different coupler and it wouldn't work. So not sure what the plan is next but a train from Liv St. is being prepped to go and help remove the passengers. This is getting worse as the days go by. Not looking forward to work tomorrow :(

5Z00 approaching Stratford now.

Unusually the down main through Forest Gate was used for 6V12 in an up direction.

Edited by beast66606
Wrong place !
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

Its 06:22, as I type, and already 2R00 and 2D66 have failed requiring full reboots of the on board software. 2E70 failed but was then reinstated and is now running 26late and the same for 2j61 which is 17 late.

Not looking good again today.

Apparently the units all needed new updates but they failed to download and it's now causing all kinds of issues. 

Thanks

That is interesting as it suggest that software problems might be playing a role in the list of failures.  Unfortunately it is a common problem with modern trains and equally unfortunately it does take time to get it right - for wide variety of reasons.  However if it is all down to software while the current situation is clearly very frustrating it does suggest that it is solvable - eventually.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Oh dear, hope they get everything sorted by the middle of April as I'm booked on a UK Railtours charter (hauled by Clan Line) from Kings X to Norwich on Saturday April 18th with a 4 1/2 hour break at Norwich during which time I was thinking of a trip to and from Lowestoft on one of the new units.

Don't fancy the idea of being marooned at Lowestoft or somewhere else in between and missing dinner on the charter back to London!!

Keith

New signalling and Basils - what could go wrong ?

• Funny 4

9 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Good news @Siggie in the east - 755337 also had a brain f@rt at Haughley (on the branch) for nearly an hour but the driver managed to get it going again.

Yeah I noticed it when I came back from my break. Sat down and watched it for a while and then it got going. Diesel issue so got to stow and put the pan up.

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

It's been there since 9:15! All the passengers are still on it and land sheriffs have had to attend the scene to stop people forcing the doors open and leaving the train.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the passengers brought a test case for false imprisonment.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It is becoming obvious that the solution is staring us in the face on the GEML and GA lines, which is to revert to something that worked for decades and still does today - Class 37 hauled passenger trains.

Even better, flatten the Olympic Park and build a diesel depot to maintain them :jester:

Back to the future.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

17 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

It is becoming obvious that the solution is staring us in the face on the GEML and GA lines, which is to revert to something that worked for decades and still does today - Class 37 hauled passenger trains.

Even better, flatten the Olympic Park and build a diesel depot to maintain them :jester:

Back to the future.

Meanwhile back in the real world......

• RMweb Gold

I've had two journeys now with which there's been a noticeable "clunk" as the unit sways on track undulations. I'm more often than not in the rear carriage to Needham and lead coach to Stowmarket, the driver must be aware of this. 

A suspension failure has been mentioned previously, do we know if this was spring or yaw damper related? There's no "active" (ie powered) suspension on these is there?

C6T.