Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I've had two journeys now with which there's been a noticeable "clunk" as the unit sways on track undulations. I'm more often than not in the rear carriage to Needham and lead coach to Stowmarket, the driver must be aware of this. 

A suspension failure has been mentioned previously, do we know if this was spring or yaw damper related? There's no "active" (ie powered) suspension on these is there?

C6T. 

Sounds like secondary suspension if it is is transmitting to the vehicle body. (And why should it  just be us having to put up with it on Crossrail 345s if the situation isn't repeated in other new designs? :rolleyes:)

29 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sounds like secondary suspension if it is is transmitting to the vehicle body. (And why should it  just be us having to put up with it on Crossrail 345s if the situation isn't repeated in other new designs? :rolleyes:)

Sorry Mike, poor reporting on my part. 

It's noticeably audible rather than tactile through the source-frame-seat. Quite alarming though nonetheless. It appears to be linked to body roll so I suspect, like you, a bogie - body interface gremlin. 

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The broken down Flirt has been dumped just city side of Stratford and the knock on from this morning's failure is causing cancellations this evening. Second night in a row after points failure last night.

10A is closed, presume Flirt is blocking the line?

Edited by ruggedpeak
update

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, beast66606 said:

745010 has failed at Forest Gate and 37611 is attending for the rescue.

And a right royal mess it has caused for the entire day. Still suffering delays and cancellations. All trains moving past the casualty were cautioned due to staff on the tracks. The 20mph Stratford - Forest Gate limit did nothing to improve timekeeping and was not explained to the frustrated crowds waiting at Stratford. 

37611 attempted to couple at the east (country) end. When I passed there were still a few folk on board who appeared to be passengers. And there were some puzzled-looking orange-clad people milling around the 37. 

Freights were queued from Forest Gate back to Ilford. Up fast trains were crossed to the slow “electric” line at Ilford possibly using the carriage road to Manor Park. 

Upon my return some hours later 37611 was at Stratford station but the F**t had gone. Up fasts were still using the Up Electric and a freight was still waiting at Forest Gate on the Up Main. 

Of passing interest a Goblin 710 was noted on the spur at Woodgrange Park. Has that been parked there since the route was blocked (and if so why can it not use Platform 1 in Barking station?). Or was it too awaiting a path up through Forest Gate (if so where would it be going?  South Tottenham via the Lea Valley?). 

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

1 train breaks down this morning and GA is in meltdown.  And they let almost empty Norwich InterCity sets to carry on through and not pick up at Stratford despite crowded platforms.

That does seem odd. Out in carrot crunching land they've put in an additional stop for the Peterborough service at Needham if the Cambridge job is up the poke. 

They can't proffer the keep all other services on time regardless argument, their loco hire, NR penalties and delay repay costs negate any of that. Not to mention FL are gonna want their pound of flesh.

Farcical, something I thought happened on other folks lines, not mine. 

C6T. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Oh dear, hope they get everything sorted by the middle of April as I'm booked on a UK Railtours charter (hauled by Clan Line) from Kings X to Norwich on Saturday April 18th with a 4 1/2 hour break at Norwich during which time I was thinking of a trip to and from Lowestoft on one of the new units.

Don't fancy the idea of being marooned at Lowestoft or somewhere else in between and missing dinner on the charter back to London!!

Keith

Well, if the trains go all mammaries akimbo there is a frequent (half hourly) limited stop bus service which will get you back to Norwich in an hour and a quarter so you needn't worry about being trapped in Lowestoft, which let's face it is a nightmare prospect for anyone at anytime.

Even when I lived in Norfolk I avoided Lowestoft as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

17 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Well, if the trains go all mammaries akimbo there is a frequent (half hourly) limited stop bus service which will get you back to Norwich in an hour and a quarter so you needn't worry about being trapped in Lowestoft, which let's face it is a nightmare prospect for anyone at anytime.

The Triangle Tavern is worth getting trapped in.......

• RMweb Gold

Another Basil has sat down at Kennett - Kennett is the Basiluda Triangle.

Suggestion that 3-car sets may be suffering from some form of interference which may need some immunisation work - note this is a rumour

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

On 26/01/2020 at 07:23, Pete 75C said:

Yes, lets.

Personally, I think they are starting to settle down.

A whole fleet of new trains with good reliability from day one... historically, has that ever happened?

Like them or loathe them, we're stuck with them.

Really they are settling down? not a day goes by on the Norfolk local lines without some fault per shift

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

What a palaver :(

I struggle to understand how it took 5 hours before being de-trained.

And if we believe the comments above they can get bailiffs down to the train to keep people on it but can't get anyone there who can do anything useful.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Siggie in the east said:

It's been there since 9:15! All the passengers are still on it and land sheriffs have had to attend the scene to stop people forcing the doors open and leaving the train. To make things worse, the 37 tried to couple up, messed it all up and caused an air leak, so tried a different coupler and it wouldn't work. So not sure what the plan is next but a train from Liv St. is being prepped to go and help remove the passengers. This is getting worse as the days go by. Not looking forward to work tomorrow :(

Bloody land sheriffs,  in their minds they think they look and act like robocop,  to everyone else the look and act like paddy and max!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

What a palaver :(

I struggle to understand how it took 5 hours before being de-trained.

The train came to a stand between stations on a very busy section of four-track main line.  There is no end-door egress from these trains meaning that the only option available is to de-train to one side or another.  In this location that would require shutting all four lines (for safety) for around an hour which would have caused much more dislocation and chaos than having one train blocking one line.  In the end and with the failure of the rescue loco to rescue the failure owing to coupling issues the only sensible decision was to evacuate train-to-train alongside which at least allows two lines to continue in operation.  

Whether that decision should or could have been taken much sooner is for an enquiry to determine.  I certainly understand the frustration, anger and distress of passengers being trapped aboard a train for hours.  It has happened more than once recently and on each occasion someone has said it must never happen again.  And yet it has.  Fortunately, perhaps, not on a hot day with air-conditioning shut down and no drinking water available.

As a minimum all trains other than those on purely local trips (let's say scheduled for less than an hour) should carry an emergency supply of drinking water appropriate to the likely numbers aboard.  OK it takes a little space and a cupboard might have to be found somewhere to store it but how many more long-term issues are we going to have before there is a fatal medical emergency on board?  Scottish trains used do (and I believe still do) carry emergency hampers in case they become stuck in winter weather.  Such things might need to be looked at for wider use.  And no, we cannot rely upon the catering trolley/buffet because there isn't always one aboard. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The train came to a stand between stations on a very busy section of four-track main line.  There is no end-door egress from these trains meaning that the only option available is to de-train to one side or another.  In this location that would require shutting all four lines (for safety) for around an hour which would have caused much more dislocation and chaos than having one train blocking one line.  In the end and with the failure of the rescue loco to rescue the failure owing to coupling issues the only sensible decision was to evacuate train-to-train alongside which at least allows two lines to continue in operation.  

Whether that decision should or could have been taken much sooner is for an enquiry to determine.  I certainly understand the frustration, anger and distress of passengers being trapped aboard a train for hours.  It has happened more than once recently and on each occasion someone has said it must never happen again.  And yet it has.  Fortunately, perhaps, not on a hot day with air-conditioning shut down and no drinking water available.

As a minimum all trains other than those on purely local trips (let's say scheduled for less than an hour) should carry an emergency supply of drinking water appropriate to the likely numbers aboard.  OK it takes a little space and a cupboard might have to be found somewhere to store it but how many more long-term issues are we going to have before there is a fatal medical emergency on board?  Scottish trains used do (and I believe still do) carry emergency hampers in case they become stuck in winter weather.  Such things might need to be looked at for wider use.  And no, we cannot rely upon the catering trolley/buffet because there isn't always one aboard. 

Sorry but carrying water against a possible problem is a non starter to my mind.

I can have nearly 500 people on a full and standing 4 car 158. Small bottles of water come in cases of 24. 

We carry a supply through the summer when air con may not be able to cope, more than 5 cases I can barely get in the cab. So a 12 car commuter service could easily have well upwards of 1000 on board. More like half a coach to store enough water!?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Slightly :offtopic: thanks for the info regarding the limited stop bus, I was thinking about that as a back-up but had not investigated it.

Know what you mean about Lowestoft but it played a small part in my life. Grandad was a fitter at 32C and lived at the end of Denmark Road overlooking the railway so he was to blame for my interest in trains as we spent many an hour in the front bedroom watching the trains during our summer holidays. I'm told that at 3 1/2 years old I was sent to live with the grandparents and when I returned home (in SE London)  six months later I found that I had a baby brother!  Am also told that I returned home with a Suffolk accent but I soon lost it back in London. Pity really!

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One thing which seems not very useful on the Basil's is that it takes about 20mins to reboot them.... Yes that is 20 mins. Who on earth designed the software to require such a long reboot time? Its probably ok on a quiet railway in the foothills of the Alps, but over here that is just going to screw traffic.

I do wonder what actually gets put in the tender documents as a specification....

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, russ p said:

I'm taking the ploughs for a test on Thursday,  could be interesting if one fails ahead of it and behind... check mate!

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00802/2020-01-30/detailed

Last time I was passing Riverside, both ploughs were facing the same direction. Do you connect to the first plough, turn around at Crown Point, then come back to put the 2nd on the other end?

• RMweb Gold

There were a lot of postings on the Anglia Facebook pages but I think I'm right in saying that aside from the above mentioned a further Basil had problems at Kennett but the driver recovered the situation and it limped on with one engine.

06:00 ex Norwich cancelled because of yesterdays train fault apparently (I'm not convinced)

05:40, Colchester - Peterborough required a reboot at Thurston but is running Ok (for) now ... albeit 20 late.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1