Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold

Well I got a cracking run back from Ely tonight East Midlands train was late not sure if any basils had gone down too, even got a green approaching Trowse bet the spiders that live in that aspect got a shock when that lit up!

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Was oop north the other day travelling on the TPE Nova 3's. I suggest 68 and Mk5 push pulls are the future rather than these silly old fashioned multiple units.

Novas even had proper buffers at each end so you could move them in an emergency. Proper state of the art technology that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Well I got a cracking run back from Ely tonight East Midlands train was late not sure if any basils had gone down too, even got a green approaching Trowse bet the spiders that live in that aspect got a shock when that lit up!

If I'd have realised you were on (the second) 5Z55 I'd have gone out, Basil drags are getting a bit routine these days.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2020 at 20:39, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Wow, this does sound quite exceptional for new trains. I wonder if the basils are breaking some sort of record for the amount of failings per day for new trains or just overall in general the amount of failings during the introduction of new trains. 

Not even close to the abysmal record of the Networkers, which on one day somehow managed to record an average of 46 miles per casualty for the entire fleet...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Titan said:

Not even close to the abysmal record of the Networkers, which on one day somehow managed to record an average of 46 miles per casualty for the entire fleet...

Wow, that is terrible. Introducing new fleets just seems like a nightmare for passenger units at least. Not so sure how reliable freight locos are when introduced. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Not just there, several Basils have fallen by the wayside today and the usual Ipswich / Felixstowe / Cambridge / Peterborough cancellations are happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Fortunately the only Tractor I've seen the last two days is a light 37/4 heading north thru Needham before my crossed fingers, rabbit foot and blind faith powered pax service (hopefully) arrives. 

Had a six minute informative natter on the way hoom too. I'll say no more than that for fear of dobbing a friend in but, sheesh, talk about clusters...on a nebulous scale.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, SBB Crocodile said:

Spotted approaching Manningtree 37+7553?? Heading towards COL or Harwich about 1400. What happened?

Can't see anything but lots of "man down!" Basil incidents today - one on going as I type (at Acle)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Meanwhile back in my old stompping ground of the Derwent Valley line (Derby to Matlock line). It would seem the new/old class 156 are very welcome in that parish. Amusingly the latest news on the FDVL website is that they have caught wind of the, shall we say hick-ups of our new class 755.

http://www.friendsdvl.btck.co.uk/News2020/NewsItem118   

Regards

Ross

Edited by 17A
making a link.
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, 17A said:

Meanwhile back in my old stompping ground of the Derwent Valley line (Derby to Matlock line). It would seem the new/old class 156 are very welcome in that parish. Amusingly the latest news on the FDVL website is that they have caught wind of the, shall we say hick-ups of our new class 755.

http://www.friendsdvl.btck.co.uk/News2020/NewsItem118   

Regards

Ross

I think we need to set up a posse and steal our proper trains back.......sounds like we have a driver and signaller and more on here, how hard can it be?!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Man Down ! - at Acle this time (as mentioned above), it looked like it had recovered but the 37 has gone to rescue it, hopefully no failures for a while as the Thunderbird is out of the way for a while !

• Thanks 1

Hmm, it doesn't look good for my Friday plans. 

I have a work to Norwich and pass back diagram, so I was going to take a spin to Yarmouth,  possibly treat myself to an all day breakfast on the seafront or nip to Gorleston for a haircut. 

Wonder what my chances are?

Fall back plan is the X1 bus, only takes about 45 minutes so quite possibly quicker than a failed train. 

The Lowestoft line isn't open this week either I believe, that'll need another 3 or 4 Basil's in service:rolleyes:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Man Down ! - at Acle this time (as mentioned above), it looked like it had recovered but the 37 has gone to rescue it, hopefully no failures for a while as the Thunderbird is out of the way for a while !

Need some more Thunderbirds methinks, are 37401 and 37402 still parked up at Norwich? 

Could be some spot hire work for them if they can be coupled to Basil's and Sybil's

45 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

I think we need to set up a posse and steal our proper trains back.......sounds like we have a driver and signaller and more on here, how hard can it be?!

You keep your hands off our trains, GA got themselves into this mess....:help:

Although it would have been nice if they'd given them a wash before sending (back) them to us!

Edited by great central
Added word
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2020 at 23:40, ruggedpeak said:

Was oop north the other day travelling on the TPE Nova 3's. I suggest 68 and Mk5 push pulls are the future rather than these silly old fashioned multiple units.

Novas even had proper buffers at each end so you could move them in an emergency. Proper state of the art technology that.

Buffers and hooks at each end. And most importantly a big diesel engine :)

IMGP0161red.JPG

IMGP0169red.JPG

• Like 2

Those are a bit behind the times. The standard coupling these days is the dellner. They're fitted to the other new LHCS.

In all seriousness, if a 68 set needs rescuing then the nearest trains are unlikely to be buffer fitted now. It's much more likely to be something with a modern automatic coupler which will then need an adapter to couple to the 68/DT.

• RMweb Premium

I was planning a trip from London to the North Norfolk Railway during the half term week but with the Basil's reliability being what it is I cancelled my plans along with any future trips to either the North Norfolk or Mid Norfolk railways until Greater Anglia and Stadler can get the trains to work on a regular basis.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, great central said:

Need some more Thunderbirds methinks, are 37401 and 37402 still parked up at Norwich? 

One is off to South Wales for a jaunt tomorrow, taking 6 x Mk3 coaches for scrapping at Newport

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Buffers and hooks at each end. And most importantly a big diesel engine :)

IMGP0161red.JPG

IMGP0169red.JPG

Hmm, overkill for Ipswich to Derby Road methinks. 

The proponents of this model seem to forget there's a multi tier service provision AGA are looking for. Norwich - The Street, and everything else. 

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

One is off to South Wales for a jaunt tomorrow, taking 6 x Mk3 coaches for scrapping at Newport

Was this the move that was supposed to happen on the Tuesday of last week? 

It was mentioned that's all that a rake of redundant GA MK3s were to go for scrap now that 745007 & 745010 are now both in active service. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

Those are a bit behind the times. The standard coupling these days is the dellner. They're fitted to the other new LHCS.

In all seriousness, if a 68 set needs rescuing then the nearest trains are unlikely to be buffer fitted now. It's much more likely to be something with a modern automatic coupler which will then need an adapter to couple to the 68/DT.

Apparently there are so many failures on the Scottish sleepers they are looking at putting buffers on end vehicles. 

Most adaptor couplings are from whatever coupling it is to standard drawgear  

• Informative/Useful 1