Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

Need some more Thunderbirds methinks, are 37401 and 37402 still parked up at Norwich? 

Could be some spot hire work for them if they can be coupled to Basil's and Sybil's

Unfortunately they haven't got air dryers in the air system and to couple to stadlers 

They get lots of regular use still in their own right 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Was this the move that was supposed to happen on the Tuesday of last week? 

Yep - Tues and then Thurs last week, now tomorrow AM and I mean AM, 04:00 off Norwich which means no chance of photographs

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Yep - Tues and then Thurs last week, now tomorrow AM and I mean AM, 04:00 off Norwich which means no chance of photographs

Thanks for confirming. So the move tomorrow to Newport does this include both sets of coaches for the two moves planned to happen last week but didn't or will their be a second move to replace the second move planned for last week? 

It's a shame that it's so early leaving Norwich, I would think that many would wish to photograph the final move of MK3s to scrap and behind a 37. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards,

Danny. 

3 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Man Down ! - at Acle this time (as mentioned above), it looked like it had recovered but the 37 has gone to rescue it, hopefully no failures for a while as the Thunderbird is out of the way for a while !

That'll be the first failed train to be rescued on the new Brundall workstation then. Hope the guys handled it well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Siggie in the east said:

I'm on 745010 going home from Liv.St...... fingers crossed I make it ;)

Jokes aside, REALLY nice unit. Seats dont feel as soft on the back as a mk3 but am very impressed.

I can't get comfortable on them at all back of seat is far too upright and headrest impossible to use if you support your back on the backrest 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, russ p said:

I can't get comfortable on them at all back of seat is far too upright and headrest impossible to use if you support your back on the backrest 

I find them fine. Much more comfortable than a 153/156/170 etc which really were uncomfortable. Guess we're all different shapes. Can't make a seat to fit everyone.

Edited by admiles
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

The downsides to them.....the bing-bong everytime the doors opened and closed while we waited at Liv.St. was really annoying and the fact they only have 4 toilets whereas the hauled sets had 18origionally and about 9 by the time they were altered. Trying to take my 2 kids to the toilet was a mission when half the bloody train was queued for them. Lack of bins was another and then they put vestibule seats right next to them so when someone is sat on them you cant use the bin. Need a few more trips to better understand them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I think I have worked out what the problem with the 745 and 755 units is. 

They have a crush on class 37 diesels and are flirting! 

Hat and coat on, making hasty retreat stage left on a 450.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Unusual Basil activity this afternoon - 2W18 had an unattended bag in the disabled toilet at Stowmarket, all lines closed for a while for investigation.

Hope it wasn’t a flash in the pan.

• Funny 4

How are they settling in now? My parents are going up in a couple of weeks to Norwich (and will probably do their usual Bittern and Wherry line excursions). Is the reliability improved at all? The thread has quietened down, so maybe?

So there were problems with the pan (software?), traction and track circuits, and other software (door opening?). Someone else mentioned the diesel units running out of fuel? What's been causing the most recent failures?

• RMweb Gold

755409 is low fuel - 37800 going on the perch at Ipswich ready to the rescue if required as I type.

745010 failed this am.

Yarmouth services cancelled at the moment.

Use this link for real time info on whats running and whats not :

https://www.journeycheck.com/greateranglia/

Not sure the reliability has improved, yesterday was a good day but most other days see lots of cancellations - I don't bother reporting them anymore as they are too common.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

How are they settling in now? My parents are going up in a couple of weeks to Norwich (and will probably do their usual Bittern and Wherry line excursions). Is the reliability improved at all? The thread has quietened down, so maybe?

So there were problems with the pan (software?), traction and track circuits, and other software (door opening?). Someone else mentioned the diesel units running out of fuel? What's been causing the most recent failures?

I wouldn't place any kind of reliance on them at the moment. Yesterday I decided on a quick trip to Yarmouth and back.

Partly because of the timing I decided to use the X1 bus from Norwich, good job I did though, train was cancelled!

Did get one back later but kept checking all the time it was on it's way from Norwich before ruling out the bus.

Seriously if your parents have bus passes I'd suggest, and as a railway enthusiast as well as railway employee I hate to say it, they look at the bus. The X1 only takes about 45 minutes and runs alongside the X11 every 15 minutes to Yarmouth. If they don't have bus passes I think the fare is around £6.50 so compares favourably with the train.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, great central said:

I wouldn't place any kind of reliance on them at the moment. Yesterday I decided on a quick trip to Yarmouth and back.

Partly because of the timing I decided to use the X1 bus from Norwich, good job I did though, train was cancelled!

Did get one back later but kept checking all the time it was on it's way from Norwich before ruling out the bus.

Seriously if your parents have bus passes I'd suggest, and as a railway enthusiast as well as railway employee I hate to say it, they look at the bus. The X1 only takes about 45 minutes and runs alongside the X11 every 15 minutes to Yarmouth. If they don't have bus passes I think the fare is around £6.50 so compares favourably with the train.

How disappointing.

Then again, at least if they're not running they're not being held up by livestock on the Acle Straight...

• RMweb Premium

I am in two minds. On the one hand it's hardly unusual for new trains to take a while to settle into reliable operations. On the other hand after all those years of laughing at BREL, GEC etc introduction problems and being told the answer was to buy from xyz I can't help finding it slightly amusing to see the grass is no greener if buying elsewhere. 

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 4

A washer at Crown point that fits the profile of the trains would be a start!!! that way the skirts wont look like they have been to Inverness and back in a day.

Monday will be the interesting bit IF the wherry lines fully reopen as others have said still not overly impressed with them. Also noticed due to the smaller fuel tanks the amount of cars running around now up and down the main someone really did not think that through verywell

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Bad79 said:

Also noticed due to the smaller fuel tanks the amount of cars running around now up and down the main someone really did not think that through verywell

Thats partly due to the overhead facility being locked out of use at the moment due to problems, better than not running any service though.

• Informative/Useful 1