Bilton Junction

Jon4470

Just a few photos that I took this evening of the A2.

The chassis has battleship grade frames and the motor is v noisy!

A618E69C-C4E7-4A6B-BD4A-621953666830.jpeg.e3ed0cac47386da2e6efb17cf291a65b.jpeg

The tender needs some plating behind the coal rails

12EC7172-9B73-4EC3-8B73-198B38E42ACB.jpeg.31b1252bb7eeca07c87a5a005ee5c20f.jpeg

and finally anotherview of the body. The front footsteps seem to have been added more recently - the solder is shiny- and they foul the slide bars. I think they’ll have be moved out a mm or so. I may also file the steps back a bit as well because they look too wide/ deep to me.

BBB03360-FC46-4ED0-B05A-A95DEE347441.jpeg.3c4257f4d05d7275e5ed58fe7bda7e82.jpeg

• Like 2

Well it has taken since June last year to get there but, finally, I think I can declare the hopper wagon finished!

0C3A8845-8F38-4158-BF2A-5A3F79668326.jpeg.7a97ff89c5a29ac2cc4cab7719e6769e.jpeg

03ED8ECE-11C5-4E10-AE86-AC3CCFCB0FFB.jpeg.8c7286d1b562e2f4584d09610d6b29e3.jpeg

B3F70335-DA49-4FE1-8620-EB2BA4943BB3.jpeg.20557c3173b021f38557d326987cd2e3.jpeg

I still have to fit couplings and I’ve now noticed that a couple of “ rollers” on the coal doors have fallen off but overall I’m pleased with this as a first attempt at a scratchbuilt wagon.

Jon

5548AE04-2EF4-408F-BFE1-E012B704832F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks James - glad you like it.

The rivet transfers are effective and put a bit of relief into, what would otherwise, be plain sides. They’re easy enough to apply....just need to do it when in the right mood. If not, then there is a risk of throwing the whole model across the room in frustration:D

Jon

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

That’s true - I need two hopper wagons. I also need two tank wagons and the curious loco coal wagon (bogie at one end and fixed axle at the other). All completed by Spencer and Barber. At the rate I’m going that’ll take a few years!

I plan to start on the tank wagons next. I would have started yesterday but I then discovered that I didn’t have any brass channel of the required size.

so instead, I had a good tidy up of the modelling room. A bit more to do on that front but it does look better for it.

Jon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Before I had a chance to buy some brass channel I found myself starting one of these:

F23AC017-1481-4D9C-AA58-65E39A72E715.jpeg.3f8f708258c92ffa07734981166f92a4.jpeg

Now that the modelling area is relatively tidy I was able to do a little bit every night and now, two and a half weeks later, I have this:

67AED60F-6024-4602-9CB3-BC4281701AEB.jpeg.b31100be458739e44ccf05531cdce457.jpeg

I’m pleased with this rate of progress and I’ve enjoyed putting this kit together - everything fits as it should. ( The boiler is just resting in place at the moment).

With any luck 2-3 weeks should see this one completed, which is very fast for me! It will also mean that I have completed it about 1 year after buying the gearbox, motor and wheels!

Iave now bought some brass channel, after a visit to York a couple of weekends ago, so I should be able to start the Gas Works tank wagons next.......or maybe the Raven A2 detailing or maybe.......

This weekend, just gone, I also made up some more beams for the layout boards. That will get me a chance to put together two boards and create an area of 8ft by 2 ft. That should give me most of what I need for the Gas Works coal drops and mainline sidings.....maybe I’ll actually have a bit of layout soon!

Jon

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was about time for an update.

I have continued to work on the J77.....but it isn’t complete yet. I always forget how long the final stages take! For instance, tonight, my entire modelling time was taken with getting the holes in the coupling rods opened up to the correct diameter. However, that was worth the effort when I saw the power applied and the wheels turned....no binding....in either direction!:D This is doubly amazing because they are Alan Gibson wheels I.e. with no quartering.

There is a bit more fettling for the chassis, and also I need to fit pick ups, so it operates under it’s own steam ( so to speak). Then onwards to finish the body details.

I was at Scalefour North on Sunday. Really like that show and some impressive layouts on display. Managed to get lots of bits from the trade support....but stayed quite disciplined....I even had a shopping list with me! On top of that I met a few people ( unplanned) and had a good natter.

Next show in my calendar is York which is a big show but still manages to cater for the kit builders as well. 

Jon

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the J 77 - not much progress to show at the moment. The chassis is working and I just need to spend a few hours fitting the details to the body - one important detail being the chimney which, I think, really makes a loco look like a loco.

Modelling has been slowed down this weekend by the weather though. We’ve been for a couple of lovely walks locally and then I started some 12” to the foot walling. It went from something like this (left hand side of drive):

A49DC8CD-6116-4932-BFC3-87A54E6E93A1.jpeg.3d5208b8df93e5b6cacebd15d3bb0307.jpeg

To this(right hand side of drive):

11CDC738-4341-4FE1-8091-42E233810CFA.jpeg.eb7a02511f6c0d0d649f18e841755407.jpeg

Apologies to any genuine bricklayers - but I’m pleased with it so far!

I also appear to have replicated the Gresley “S” footplate curve - must be sub-conscious!

off to the York show tomorrow- nice and early to avoid the heat.

Jon

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Nice brick work! Im also off yo yourk today, hoping it will be faily quiet with the nice weather and the last day

Hope you enjoyed York!

I thought that it was busy but not too crowded. I was told that Saturday was very busy - Sunday less so. Good mix of layouts - and I do like dock/ wharf layouts - of which there were a few.

Was very disciplined with the purchases - 2 pots of paint and some drill bits.

Jon

• Like 1

Cheers Jon, yes it was a very good show, seemed a lot of N guage this year, my favouite being Millsbridge, nice and faded and atmospheric, surprising N guage usually isnt my thing. Having said that the standard of layouts accross the board was extremely high, very enjoyable, if a tad warm afternoon.

Got plenty of bits for me to crack on now, may even re join DEMU..

Just need some modelling time!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Over a month since the last posting and the J77........isn’t completed! To be honest I hit a block and lost the impetus to move forward. I managed to prepare all the bits and pieces that need to be fitted but, all the while, I knew there was a problem to be addressed. So tonight I sat down to solve it.

The problem was that the loco ran nicely as a chassis. Also good with the body resting on the chassis. BUT when I bolted the chassis to the body...nothing. Clearly a short, so a few weeks ago I had added some insulating plastic and, hey presto, it worked ....until the last turn of the front fixing bolt. It ran slowly or not at all.....like it was being braked - or maybe shorting out. 

Tonight then, I sat down and worked logically through the problem. Rear bolt tight, front bolt one turn away from tight...turn a bit more and nothing. Initially I thought that it might be the pickup wipers (located on the top of the wheels) but these were free to move....not shorting then. Look harder.....the bottom of the (cosmetic) front wheel springs protruded into the front splasher.....far enough to just touch the front wheels. Out came the Xuron cutters and some files. 10 minutes later chassis on, both bolts tightened, chassis running properly. 

I’m now happy with the result. Hopefully mojo restored a bit and I can now progress all the finishing details.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

The photo below shows the current “state of play”. All the prep work is done - hand rail holes opened up, chimney, dome etc fettled, and so on. I have just fitted the buffers, next will be the front hand rails - aiming to get the soldering completed before gluing things like the chimney.

C3861A00-A951-478E-9F09-4AF528E449B3.jpeg.84762cd6c687c8157acb76c3de29c0ad.jpeg

Soon on be ready for the paint shop.....I hope.

Jon

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I’ve made time over the weekend to do some modelling - a number of small - 30 minute-sessions. I think I’ve now finished all the soldering prior to fitting boiler bands ( which will be from insulation tape).

It might not look much different to the last photo but I’ve added footsteps, front lamp iron, front handrail, four tank brackets, two washout plugs and a brake standard. Also prepared are the smokebox door and handle and the sandboxes with their operating rods. 

115B5D23-66D2-4505-B352-4C3FFF955DB2.jpeg.f6117016e966cfe84802eca67b179a84.jpeg

I’ve made some good progress and I’m pleased with the results. Now I must resist the urge to rush! There is still some cleaning up to do before the boiler bands go on. (I really want to get the chimney and dome on soon.....that’s what makes it look like a steam locomotive.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The J77 is finished..... at last!

IMG_0286.jpeg.e401f944039128846c3a3fb761ffa043.jpeg

It feels like this has gone on for a long time but, actually, by my standards this is a quick build - 3 months. 

The last  jobs were to glue on the chimney, safety valve cover and dome...oh and glue lead strip into the bunker and boiler. 

Next job will be to clean it thoroughly - which includes removal of surplus glue. Then time for the painting.

I apologise for the poor quality photo.....I must sort out some better lighting in the modelling room. 

Jon

Edited by Jon4470
  • Like 8

43 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Nice work Jon, can I ask what glue you use for the dome etc?

Cheers

Thanks.

I use 2 part epoxy resin glues for major components like the dome, chimney etc. (I buy whatever is cheapest at B&Q... in this case it was Araldite 5 minute epoxy).

I also use superglue for some detail fittings. On this loco the rivet strips on the footplate steps were superglued on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2019 at 22:55, Jon4470 said:

Thanks.

I use 2 part epoxy resin glues for major components like the dome, chimney etc. (I buy whatever is cheapest at B&Q... in this case it was Araldite 5 minute epoxy).

I also use superglue for some detail fittings. On this loco the rivet strips on the footplate steps were superglued on.

Cheers Jon valuable info. For me to use in the future.

Now in primer.

IMG_0287.jpeg.eda7f21d97f1b80de74a9f72898a4c52.jpeg

The primer has highlighted some gaps and glue overspill...mainly around the base of the boiler fittings.

Next job is to tidy these up.

Edited by Jon4470
  • Like 4

Now a rhapsody in black!

IMG_0071.jpeg.a4a8527d6c7f78e19a317688fc0b1d1c.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg.bdd90055e97d49c142567dedf853c1c9.jpeg

These digital photos really show show up the blemishes...in the metal I think it looks better. I’ll have to look very closely with a critical eye to see if I need to sand back and re- coat. In any case I’ll leave well alone for a day or two for the paint to harden. Then varnish, then transfers... which will brighten it up a bit!

Jon

Edited by Jon4470
  • Like 6

Hi Ade

I use Halfords satin black rattle can for the main body colour.

I normally brush paint the buffer beams but this time I decided to use the airbrush. I think the results were worth the effort.....the effort is because I had to give the airbrush a real big clean after it refused to paint! Serves me right for not using it regularly and not thoroughly cleaning it last time.

Jon

• Thanks 1