Bilton Junction

Jon4470

Started on the ammonia wagon yesterday. First attempt at a scratchbuilt wagon - very much a test run. The idea looks ok but the execution is not so good!

Will try again soon and concentrate on squareness! Ooops.

post-12600-0-26054100-1528742680_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have also made a start on the coal hopper wagon. This one looks better than the tank wagon. I’ll persevere with this and see where it takes me. Hopefully I might get to a working wagon.

While i’m doing this i’m really meant to be finishing off a few mainline coaches that are cluttering the workbench. So much for finishing one thing before starting another!

post-12600-0-41102800-1528747862_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Progress Jon Progress, not sure on the tank is the plastisruct to thin and flimsy?

The coal wagon looks like a great start, plastikard and Mek?

Cheers

Ade

Thank you for the encouragement.

My next attempt on the tank wagon will start with the buffer beam and end platform. That should give a strong and square start point for the channel sections. I’m hoping that this approach plus the fitting of three cradles to hold the tank will make the structure strong enough.

If not, then I think brass section and solder will be brought into use - and at least I will have a prototype to base my construction on.

Jon

It’s been a busy week at work so limited time for modelling. (Also my wife has given up smoking - great news after 30 years - but this means we have been off on long walks each night to keep her mind off the cigarettes!)

Anyway, today saw some progress on the hopper wagon. It now looks like the wagons that were used - even if some of the measuring and cutting leaves a bit to be desired!

I’m treating this as a prototype and making notes, measurements etc as I go. Hopefully the next one will be better. There are some details to add - various pulley wheels to operate the hopper doors, couplings (no buffers), brake hand wheel and rivets- lots!

I also need to sort out some bogies. I may have to scratch build these - unless I can find some suitable kits.

Apologies for the poor quality photo.

Jon

post-12600-0-33228000-1529249948_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this progress, as a Bilton lad i know the coal drops and the railway history pretty well, even have a model set at Bilton junction but not particularly to scale! Iv built the drewry and pecket from RT models and bashed a wd hunslet for spencer. Heres a couple of pics from my thread on here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99371-jessy1692s-bits-pieces-dhp1-whatever-else-appears-on-my-workbench-filthy-class-40baby-delticbig-deltics-009/

I have a fair few pics iv come accross on the web of the Barber line and the lines around Harrogate and would be more than happy to share via dm as im unsure of the orginal sources.

Will watch closely!

Cheers

Jamespost-5804-0-67769200-1530482412_thumb.jpg

post-5804-0-98768000-1530482924_thumb.jpg

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 2

Hi James

Thanks for the post. I’ve seen some of your posts about the locos - they look good!

I have the WD Hunslet to build ( and bash) at some point and I made some notes from your approach to this to help me.

I have to admit that all progress has stalled because of the weather - it’s too nice to be inside!

Would be interested to share photos.

Jon

Cheers Jon, yeah i agree its far too hot at the mo, my railway room is like an oven so modelling is definately on the back burner for the forseeable, really do need to get on and build proper hoppers now after seeing yours...

Ill drop you a pm with my email.

Cheers

James

I managed a little bit of modelling time yesterday. I spent an hour or two adding details to an MJT Gresley 3rd coach that has been a project for quite a few months now. I just need to add rain strips and destination board holders to the roof. After that a good clean and then onto painting.

I had hoped to make some more progress today - but an impromptu party at a neighbours last night means I’m feeling a little bit “jaded” !

I have also ordered, and received, some Archers rivets. These are intended for the hopper wagon. I haven’t used them before but they seem to be effective and well liked. So worth a try I think.

Hopefully next weekend i’ll Have some photos to show - of the coach at least.

James - thanks for the emails. I’ll be back in touch soon.

Regards

Jon

I managed a little bit of modelling time yesterday. I spent an hour or two adding details to an MJT Gresley 3rd coach that has been a project for quite a few months now. I just need to add rain strips and destination board holders to the roof. After that a good clean and then onto painting.

I had hoped to make some more progress today - but an impromptu party at a neighbours last night means I’m feeling a little bit “jaded” !

I have also ordered, and received, some Archers rivets. These are intended for the hopper wagon. I haven’t used them before but they seem to be effective and well liked. So worth a try I think.

Hopefully next weekend i’ll Have some photos to show - of the coach at least.

James - thanks for the emails. I’ll be back in touch soon.

Regards

Jon

No problem Jon, happy to help out. Be good to see how them rivets look on the hopper, they are on my list for when i tackle the hoppers at somepoint. Far too hot for modelling and too many distractions for me at mo so everything is on hold!

Cheers

James

Well i’ve Finally finished the build of the Gresley 3rd class coach.

Now needs priming, filling and sanding, priming again, teaking, lining, transfers, corridor connections ......

Hopefully will make a start on the priming this weekend.

post-12600-0-65049900-1531572656_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Light primer coat now applied. This now shows up the areas that require filling or sanding. I will be spending some time trying to get the roof ends smooth I think! ( and re-attaching the roof board strip that decided to part company with the roof as I was spraying the primer)

post-12600-0-36115800-1531600541_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looking good John nice work, is that a tin of Halfords etch primer or something more?

Cheers

Ade

Hello Ade

I use Halfords primers - white for teak coaches, red oxide for black locos and grey for green locos. I also use Halfords satin black for the top coat on black locos, underframes on coaches etc.

For teak coaches I use the method that Mike Trice published on rmweb. That is: white primer, acrylic base coat in shades of orange and brown, varnish, oil paint for the grain and top coat varnish.

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of progress in the last week. Sanding and more filling plus another primer coat and i’m Nearly ready to start the painting of the sides. As ever a photo highlights any problems - the name board brackets are a bit wobbly and ther’s still a bit of sanding to do on the roof. Never mind - it is better done now than later.

post-12600-0-74195600-1532804319_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So it has been raining all day so far. The upside is that this creates modelling time!

The Gresley coach has now received the base coat and looks a lovely shade of orange!

post-12600-0-23560000-1532872496_thumb.jpeg

I’ve then picked out a few panels in a darker colour.

post-12600-0-34960600-1532871839_thumb.jpeg

Later on today (when everything is thoroughly dry) i’ll Put on a coat of Humbrol Clear. It will then be ready for the graining stage - maybe during the week if I get the time and inclination.

I’ve also started to put on the rivet transfers to the hopper wagon. This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “rivet counting”! Once I have finished one side i’ll Post a photo.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

James

Photos of the hopper “straight off the press”. I haven’t studied these so, no doubt, there will be a few blemishes and mistakes on the side.

First photo shows the rivets in place but un painted.

post-12600-0-04789700-1532891574_thumb.jpeg

The second photo shows the results after a wafting of primer.

post-12600-0-77493900-1532891625_thumb.jpeg

I think they make a difference - what do you think?

Still need to do both ends and the other side. I think i’ve Got the hang of these rivets now - they behave like ordinary transfers really. But it really helps if the backing paper is cut really close to the rivets. This allows the actual rivet to be close to an edge, raised piece of the body etc

Jon

• Like 3

That looks fantastic Jon! What size rivets are you using? Iv seen them but havnt had the need to use any yet, seeing your hopper makes me need to re visit mine, the excuse of waiting for a kit from narrow planet seems a bit daft now!

Hi James

Thanks for the positive comments - much appreciated.

The rivets I used are from sheet AR88015. I ordered then direct from Archers in the US @$17:95

The small ones on this sheet seem to be almost the correct pitch - i’m Probably missing a rivet or two from each run but who’s counting?!

I cut them out in strips - the photo shows how many i’ve Used for one side.

post-12600-0-67955600-1532931097_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi James

Thanks for the positive comments - much appreciated.

The rivets I used are from sheet AR88015. I ordered then direct from Archers in the US @$17:95

The small ones on this sheet seem to be almost the correct pitch - i’m Probably missing a rivet or two from each run but who’s counting?!

I cut them out in strips - the photo shows how many i’ve Used for one side.

DF50A34B-E302-4A5C-A391-AB170DABC7C5.jpeg

Excellent, cheers Jon, yeah they look spot on to me. Iv spent years looking at them plans!

All the best

James

• 3 weeks later...

I’m pleased with my work over the weekend.

The Gresley TK (MJT kit) I’d now teaked. The colour is a bit darker than I had intended and also a bit more uniform I.e not much of a patchwork effect. However overall i’m Happy with the result. Next step is lining.

post-12600-0-23582500-1534365458_thumb.jpegpost-12600-0-41039300-1534365483_thumb.jpeg

I also managed to move this coach along. It had been lying around in a barely started condition for far too long! I’ve now completed the sides , which included modifications to the window ventilators. The roof is just resting for the moment before I start drilling holes for ventilators etc. This will be a Diagram 4 First Open and will be part of the day portion for the Nothern Belle. The coach is made from Bill Bedford sides, MJT ends, roof etc.

post-12600-0-90690500-1534365767_thumb.jpeg

Behind these two is one more half started coach kit - then I think the workbench is clear so I can progress the narrow gauge wagons.......

Jon

• Like 6

Just been reading through your layout thread and have to say you have produced a couple of excellent models. Very impressed with the finish on the teak coach sides looks the business and I think a bit of light weathering it really capture the prototype well.

I was at boarding school in Ripon in the sixties and every now an then we would have a trip to a swimming pool just up the road from the Gas Works . I remember that they was a row of terrace houses alongside the front of the works called Gasville Terrace which was always a source of much baiting to one poor soul who were accused of living there .....one could be very harsh on fellow pupils in those days. 

Keep up the good work Jon will follow with interest.  :fan: