Kernow Wagon - IZA Cargowagon Twin Van

rembrow

Mine arrived today, very pleased. Nice model. I  got a 4 pack and the twin with the flashing tail lamp. Only problem is I can't see the switch to turn on the lamp :mellow:  The instruction leaflet says 'The switch is very fine, so as to be unobtrusive, and it may be easier to operate using an uncurled paper clip or cocktail stick'. The switch is so 'unobtrusive' I can't see it. Probably just my eyes getting old. Any help most welcome. Many thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I received two emails from Kernow, one saying that my IZAs were being sent to me by DPD  and the other saying that my Model Rail Busby 16xx was being sent to me by Royal Mail.

.... and a couple of hours ago DPD delivered a box from Kernow containing both the IZAa and the Busby.

As these were two separate transactions (one for Kernow, one for Model Rail) I was expecting two separate parcels but somehow, in what must have been a very, very busy mail room, someone must have noticed that there were two shipments due for one address and they decided to combine the shipments.

Many thanks Sam!

Decision now is which boxes to open first, the IZAs or the Busby.........

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Mark201 said:

Only problem is I can't see the switch to turn on the lamp :mellow:  The instruction leaflet says 'The switch is very fine, so as to be unobtrusive, and it may be easier to operate using an uncurled paper clip or cocktail stick'. The switch is so 'unobtrusive' I can't see it. Probably just my eyes getting old. Any help most welcome. Many thanks

The switch is deeply recessed in the body right behind the coupler arm - you should be able to see a small cut away in the chassis with a small black on silver switch.

Here you go - the switch is circled in the image below.

50932974172_dc37546732_c.jpgRevolution Trains 4mm IZA - tail light switch by Mike Hale, on Flickr

NB if I remember correctly there won't be any batteries included as it is almost impossible to ship batteries in models.

Cheers Mike

Edited by red death
Add image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/02/2021 at 15:49, red death said:

The switch is deeply recessed in the body right behind the coupler arm - you should be able to see a small cut away in the chassis with a small black on silver switch.

50932974172_dc37546732_c.jpgRevolution Trains 4mm IZA - tail light switch by Mike Hale, on Flickr

NB if I remember correctly there won't be any batteries included as it is almost impossible to ship batteries in models.

Cheers Mike

Mike,

Many thanks for that. Most helpful.

Mark

On 11/02/2021 at 15:49, red death said:

Cheers Mike

Judging from that photo conversion to EM/P4 will be difficult. Looking forward to mine though.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pillar said:

Judging from that photo conversion to EM/P4 will be difficult. Looking forward to mine though.

I'll be converting a few to EM. My plan is to try pulling the wheels out on the axle (there is room) and if necessary file back a bit some of back of the W iron/axlebox moulding.

Cheers Mike

• RMweb Premium

Got my wagon on Friday. Very pleased with it - for such a boring wagon, I cant stop looking at it!

It took me ages to find and operate the tail lamp switch, but It gave me something to do whilst waiting for Amazon to deliver the batteries! (Why do Amazon insist on showing you 3000 things you don't want when you've specifically selected to search for a specific type of item?)

As the real thing were built at the very start of my very short, time period modelled, I've had to try and be very sparing with the weathering, but am pleased with the result. I've just noticed the wonky buffer.

20210222_150316.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, ba14eagle said:

It took me ages to find and operate the tail lamp switch

in anticipation of this being a faff, I have ordered a latching magnetic reed switch to have a go at the magic wand method of turning on and off.  My own is making its way from Cornwall currently, I will post my success or otherwise in this thread.

• Like 1

Received mine a couple of days ago and they are superb wagons, certainly not boring! They join other Kernow models i have but are the first Revolution ones and with the quality of these i'm looking forward to the IWA wagons and hopefully a Cartic in OO.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2021 at 22:04, stephennicholson said:

Now with easy on and off. 

Latching Reed switches available from layouts4u.net

Superb work!

14 hours ago, Flagman said:

Received mine a couple of days ago and they are superb wagons, certainly not boring! They join other Kernow models i have but are the first Revolution ones and with the quality of these i'm looking forward to the IWA wagons and hopefully a Cartic in OO.

Thanks! We’re glad that you like them!

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got my Revolution/KMRC IZA cargowaggon out of its box. It's a lovely looking wagon. :D

I went for the tail-lamp fitted version, and there's plenty of room to carry out the same modification as I did to a tail-lamp fitted MMA recently.

The NEM pocket was removed from the lamp end, which left a convenient gap into the body to pass the wires through.

The wheelsets have got a 'live' axle, so DCCconcepts pickup springs were slid onto each axle.

Wires were fed through and connected to an anti-flicker/rectifier unit.

Same as the MMA, a resistor was soldered to the inside connector of one battery holder (still not sure if it's necessary, but not risking trying it without!!)

-ve wire soldered to the resistor, +ve wire soldered to outside connector of other battery holder.

All bare wires covered with heatshrink tubing as I went along.

After testing, the wires were tidied up, and jobs a good'un.

The underfloor switch still works if needed, but I reckon once it's weathered, the wagon will be a permanent fixture at the rear of an enterprise rake, so I can just leave the lamp permanently switched on.

20210226_160026.jpg.4a2f3a59e83c7fc012099ce569605a4f.jpg

20210226_155948.jpg.de0c79dfca3e97b711d846343a9fe728.jpg

20210226_155906.jpg.d1af083fbbc4decf047805466ae6ad68.jpg

20210226_161420.jpg.f5e7c3236a3ce5d53e9bf0a139ffcb8c.jpg

20210226_161500.jpg.6944e81921bf3ba5e47d7d895a39d56f.jpg

20210226_163608.jpg.0ac01f4ba36ff197698babe5da3b52b8.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

Just got my Revolution/KMRC IZA cargowaggon out of its box. It's a lovely looking wagon. :D

I went for the tail-lamp fitted version, and there's plenty of room to carry out the same modification as I did to a tail-lamp fitted MMA recently.

The NEM pocket was removed from the lamp end, which left a convenient gap into the body to pass the wires through.

The wheelsets have got a 'live' axle, so DCCconcepts pickup springs were slid onto each axle.

Wires were fed through and connected to an anti-flicker/rectifier unit.

Same as the MMA, a resistor was soldered to the inside connector of one battery holder (still not sure if it's necessary, but not risking trying it without!!)

-ve wire soldered to the resistor, +ve wire soldered to outside connector of other battery holder.

All bare wires covered with heatshrink tubing as I went along.

After testing, the wires were tidied up, and jobs a good'un.

The underfloor switch still works if needed, but I reckon once it's weathered, the wagon will be a permanent fixture at the rear of an enterprise rake, so I can just leave the lamp permanently switched on.

Cheers,

Phil.

I know I could always dig out the instructions ..but how easy was it to remove the body? I have an un-lamped version but would like to add a bit more weight..

Chris