Disposing of old magazines

Right then, guys, you asked for it! Note this will take several posts so this is pile 1 of eight!

Railway Modeller 04/1954, 01/1970, 01/2010

Continental Modeller 02, 03/2011, 06/2012, 05, 10, 12/2013, 01, 02, 04 & 09/2014

Model Railways April 1979

British Railway Modelling 10/2006, 12/2009, 08 & 09/2013

Model Trains International #105 to #112

North American Modeller #1 & #2

More to follow!

Tim T

• Like 1

Now there's a good idea. I'd rather see my mags (mostly recent years BRM and Railway Modeller along with odds and ends Steam Rail etc.) passed on to someone and then recycled in whatever way (not the skip please) as suggested earlier as well; local collection/delivery a possibility.

I'd much rather this than straight to recycle and I can not believe some people would actually just general waste them...surely not?

BRSR in the late 50s early 60s in Modeller mags and Trains Illustrated from 1958 - 1966 would be great (for me that is). 

Phil

Whilst the skip/dump/tip might seem cruel and insensitive, many magazines and catalogues may not have been read, touched even, for ages.  Mine were dusty from obvious disuse and while someone may have been interested they didn't live next door, so time and effort would have to be expended to pass them all on. Same goes for those lovely, colourful 'coffee table' books that everyone has and nobody wants; big books are heavy and expensive to mail!  So the previous methods of disposal provide an easy alternative which at a certain age is the most practical and appealing.  I have not missed them yet!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the skip/dump/tip might seem cruel and insensitive, many magazines and catalogues may not have been read, touched even, for ages.  Mine were dusty from obvious disuse and while someone may have been interested they didn't live next door, so time and effort would have to be expended to pass them all on. Same goes for those lovely, colourful 'coffee table' books that everyone has and nobody wants; big books are heavy and expensive to mail!  So the previous methods of disposal provide an easy alternative which at a certain age is the most practical and appealing.  I have not missed them yet!

Brian.

I am right in thinking the USA do not have paper recycling then Brian?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Hi Phil, indeed we do and obviously I should have been more specific; books and magazines, etc,  go in the recycling bin every Monday.  Not straight to the dump as it might have been construed.

You must be up late!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil, indeed we do and obviously I should have been more specific; books and magazines, etc,  go in the recycling bin every Monday.  Not straight to the dump as it might have been construed.

You must be up late!

Brian.

Apologies B. I was resting my beak during the faternoon so had later evening!

P

Each year my model club put's old Mags on a table at the Exhibition. With a notice on them Take what you like Free mags. At the end of the Exhibition we still have to put a lot in a Skip. These day's nobody seems to want them.

• RMweb Premium

I think I'll be in this position soon - I recently found a buyer for my Continental Modellers having (as others have) scanned the articles I wanted, having found I only actually wanted something from about 1/3rd of them.  That was two heavy boxes gone from the loft.   I had a complete set of Rail Express 1-80ish, NOBODY wanted them on ebay as one job lot, singles or full years.  They went to the Watercress Line, who took them without complaint. I suspect they'll eventually go in the recycling.

To those who sold their mags for very little then found the person selling them - take heart.  I share the frustration at being lied to about the person's intentions (it's happened to me too) but when you see the person pricing your mags for twice what they paid you, consider whether they are actually selling any.........  They may have paid you a wad of cash for something you didn't want and they can barely sell.  I have done enough car boot sales, selling my own family's unwanted stuff, to see plenty of people who must go to the most enormous expense in sale fees and petrol, to sell some real old tat for a few quid.  

Well before I moved I went through my magazines take into out the interesting articals and how to reducing a great mound down to a manageable equivalent to two thick books only advice is be ruthless don't keep everything

Second thing is what do you mean your a long way from a preserved railway to give them to?

Unless Calne has moved from when I was born there or you only have a push bike isn't the Swindon and crickalade railway nearish you

Or the Bentley model railway club in the same town to give them to?

Swindon & Cricklade don’t seem intersted, at least they haven’t replied to my emails

Although it's nice to receive the latest magazine and read it, I find that it's soon put to one side and never looked at again.  When I look at the stack that I have, taking up valuable space, all I can think is, 'There's the price of a new rake of coaches / couple of locomotives there'.  So I'm strongly tempted not to renew my subscription when it's due and put the money saved to some other purpose. I don't have tablet etc and have no desire for one.

To those who sold their mags for very little then found the person selling them - take heart.  I share the frustration at being lied to about the person's intentions (it's happened to me too) but when you see the person pricing your mags for twice what they paid you, consider whether they are actually selling any.........  They may have paid you a wad of cash for something you didn't want and they can barely sell.

If only I had actually sold them and not given them away!

• RMweb Premium

Swindon & Cricklade don’t seem intersted, at least they haven’t replied to my emails

Could it be that, because someone on RMweb has said they take them, they have had a number of members drop a large quantity off?

Could pulp them for Papier Mache scenery or that strip weaving method?

P

At a tad over 65 I’m not going to live lomg enough to use all the papier mache that that pile would make! Besides most of them are on glossy art paper that doesn’t do very well?

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

At a tad over 65 I’m not going to live lomg enough to use all the papier mache that that pile would make! Besides most of them are on glossy art paper that doesn’t do very well?

Tim T

I was being totally arseish Tim..............................got fed up with the thread and decided to be a burke and post something mushy.

P

• 5 weeks later...