Brass models

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Lovely!!  The brass hybrids are superb, I wish Dapol had gone down that route for their black label series.

Those Micro Cast Mizuno Hudson's are over 40 years old and still look magnificent. They were the culmination of a rather special relationship between Micro Cast Mizuno and Westside, they later made some for Key Imports.

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Lovely!!  The brass hybrids are superb, I wish Dapol had gone down that route for their black label series.

Those Micro Cast Mizuno Hudson's are over 40 years old and still look magnificent. They were the culmination of a rather special relationship between Micro Cast Mizuno and Westside, they later made some for Key Imports.

Indeed, but right now I'm trying to find a Rivarossi Dreyfuss grey Hudson with disc wheels and preferably the 12-wheel tender not the centipede version, and they are not common!  :)

The Brass Trains site does have nice stuff, but I need money for mundane things like food.... 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I returned to collecting brass a few years ago when the prices of RTR plastic went North. I decided I'd rather buy less but be selective. And if you bide your time and shop around it's surprising just what you can get.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 08:25, robmcg said:

Ah, I stand corrected, I had thought some were sold fully assembled and painted in NZ albeit by NZ manufacturers.

Best, 

You certainly could buy them assembled ands painted, but they were done to order as far as I know, and not in a batch.

To my mind they don't qualify as brass models, more professionally assembled kits.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In some ways brass is still a good option if you only want a small run of something as it avoids the heavy investment in making tooling for plastic or diecast models. I sometimes think there'd be mileage in the equivalent of a crowd funded effort if a few people wanted something highly unlikely ever to be viable in plastic. 

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

In some ways brass is still a good option if you only want a small run of something as it avoids the heavy investment in making tooling for plastic or diecast models. I sometimes think there'd be mileage in the equivalent of a crowd funded effort if a few people wanted something highly unlikely ever to be viable in plastic. 

That suited the New Zealand market, although it wasn't crowd-funded, just I think some talented kit-manufacturers prepared to take a risk. And assemble their own kits at a price.

Here is one such, an S scale brass an white metal model of New Zealand Railways A class 4-6-2 presented to my father, and photographed by me (edited)  his father considered this locomotive to be his favourite. I travelled behind this class as a child and in teenage adventures in the 60s.

Notably in tunnels where a banking engine made the air very thick! Those wooden body 50' carriages were in common use right until the end of steam in 1971 and are still in fact in use today. The open platforms give a good travel experience!  :)

472_A_NZR_grade_portrait70_2abcd_r1200.jpg.bf47bd119caeb3f5d0a488d35e6978de.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Finally, I topic I can really get behind!

I love collecting brass models. I model the NSWGR and have been collection brass locos for the past 2 years now, building up a fleet of 11 steam locos and 2 diesels with more to come. Many of the locos made available for the Australian market were produced in the 1980s chiefly by Samhongsa.  

Ive included some photos of a few locos I own, mainly the C38s although a Z13 and 17 have suck in. IMG_1035.JPG.4d5470fb345c1fb44ccdc411bd68e5d9.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

• Like 7