Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Indeed - Rapido have got nowhere near Second War loco liveries yet* - but Andy was responding to my suggestion of 'Sunshine' lettering which dates from that period.

* I wonder how well wagons with 1941 lettering sell ?

On the flip side the O1 is being offered in two Bulleid Southern liveries 

You might not like the blue one but it has out sold the two you mention by a HUGE amount.

The O1 is a bit of a personal project for several members of my team and I think they may have requested the liveries so we have given them a go. There is also far less physical variation in the O1 compared to the E1 so the factory are a bit happier taking the same base model, in black as per another and then only applying a few different tampo prints. The E1 models we are making are (nearly) all different to each other which takes more effort - which means the we need more sales to make it worthwhile.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

You might not like the blue one but it has out sold the two you mention by a HUGE amount.

In an era when generic 4-and 6-wheel coaches in multiple Pre-Grouping liveries have sold like hot-cakes, an attractive livery on a new loco was always going to create some demand. Not everyone is a stickler for absolute accuracy and no wavering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2024 at 17:37, Wickham Green too said:

Depending on the solidity of the smokebox numberplate, a BR model might be a marginally simpler starting point ............... particularly if the SR black is lined in green !

The green lining was disposed with even before the mid 1930s renumbering / dropping of the A / B / E prefixes because the Southern quickly realised that it rapidly became obscured with dirt (and goods engines were never the priority when  it came to cleaning)

As such you can be sure any ex LBSCR engine numbered 2XXX will NOT have any lining....

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

The green lining was disposed with even before the mid 1930s renumbering / dropping of the A / B / E prefixes because the Southern quickly realised that it rapidly became obscured with dirt (and goods engines were never the priority when  it came to cleaning)

As such you can be sure any ex LBSCR engine numbered 2XXX will NOT have any lining....

Prefixes were dropped in 1931, green lining was dropped between 1934-36.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

In fact here are two photos of E1s with numbers in the 2xxx series in lined black.

2151 is indeed lined, it's just very faded. It is possible to just about make out the lining on the tank corner, splasher, and running plate. RAS-LBSCR_E1_2689_OJM_15874.jpg.f9c4f2dafb65895d0531195c26f75833.jpg

936008.jpg.6230fb80b9a0746ef83564bfbf302cfd.jpg

• Like 11

On 29/02/2024 at 09:28, rapidoandy said:

Rapido Trains UK in conjunction with the Brighton Circle are pleased to announce an all-new livery for our forthcoming E1 0-6-0 tank.

LBSCBlack110.jpg.841233ea433c74ce1edf9d252bdd959d.jpg

Locomotive No.110 (now preserved at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway) will now be available in Marsh-era goods black livery with double red lining suitable for between 1912 to the locomotive’s sale into industry in 1924.  Whilst there had been previous plans to offer this livery with another retailer the plans fell through, and the livery was not retrospectively added into the standard range.

After a recent approach from Brighton Circle, Rapido Trains UK have agreed to offer this livery to modellers– subject to enough orders being placed prior to the orderbook closing date in early April.

The model will only be available direct from Rapido Trains UK via their website on behalf of the Brighton Circle who will donate the profits to LB&SCR-related preservation projects. A minimum of 100 orders will be required for the model to proceed. Both DCC Ready and DCC SOUND versions will be available.

110Image.jpg.d4fe17c227ed5c89549e672b2a4f8185.jpg

With a new livery being added to the E1 there is no better time to be a Brighton modeller – keep your eyes peeled for further projects in the future or sign up to the Rapido Trains UK Newsletter to find out the latest announcements.

Rapido Trains UK would like to thank the Brighton Circle and its members for their encouragement, help and support with this and future projects.

You can order your model of 110 by clicking the link below:

E1 No.110 Marsh Lined Black – Rapido Trains UK

It is worth reiterating again - this will only go ahead if enough orders are placed. If you were one of the people that asked me for one - now is your chance!

Well this has certainly presented a conundrum. Originally was waiting for Train Times’ commission, but after that fell through, I went for B96 in Umber. I will of course be pre-ordering 110 now, but the question is whether to cancel B96 or stay the course and end up with two E1s when I was only planning to buy one! Still have to pre-order the O1 as well! Hats off to Rapido for accommodating this extra version in light of demand, all going towards a great cause as well. It looks splendid and can’t wait to see it in the flesh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

In fact here are two photos of E1s with numbers in the 2xxx series in lined black.

2151 is indeed lined, it's just very faded. It is possible to just about make out the lining on the tank corner, splasher, and running plate. RAS-LBSCR_E1_2689_OJM_15874.jpg.f9c4f2dafb65895d0531195c26f75833.jpg

936008.jpg.6230fb80b9a0746ef83564bfbf302cfd.jpg

Looking closely at those photos you can clearly see that the area of paint around the numbers is different to the rest - suggesting that the renumbering was done as a stand alone exercise and not linked to the repainting of the loco.

While this fits well with the Southerns well known frugality when it comes to painting (I.e. making paintwork last as long as possible through patch painting and re-varnishing) it doesn’t mean that the pictures are representative of what you would expect to see on a loco which had received a full repaint to the latest specification post 1931.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Looking closely at those photos you can clearly see that the area of paint around the numbers is different to the rest - suggesting that the renumbering was done as a stand alone exercise and not linked to the repainting of the loco.

While this fits well with the Southerns well known frugality when it comes to painting (I.e. making paintwork last as long as possible through patch painting and re-varnishing) it doesn’t mean that the pictures are representative of what you would expect to see on a loco which had received a full repaint to the latest specification post 1931.

But the point remains that green lining on black locos was not phased out until 1934-36, so there is still a 3-5 year period where post-prefix numbers and green lining lived side-by-side.

Those just happen to be the only photos I've found from a very brief search.

Edit: Both Bachmann and Dapol have previously done models of locomotives (C Class 1573 and B4 88) in lined black with post-prefix numbers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

Well this has certainly presented a conundrum. Originally was waiting for Train Times’ commission, but after that fell through, I went for B96 in Umber. I will of course be pre-ordering 110 now, but the question is whether to cancel B96 or stay the course and end up with two E1s when I was only planning to buy one! Still have to pre-order the O1 as well! Hats off to Rapido for accommodating this extra version in light of demand, all going towards a great cause as well. It looks splendid and can’t wait to see it in the flesh.

Both is good! 

• Agree 2

On 25/08/2022 at 20:12, Pre Grouping fan said:

I see the IoW steam railway have announced a limited edition of W2 in SR lined Olive as No 110 will appear once restored.

Screenshot_20220825_191102_com.facebook.katana.jpg.169ca83e139213c19ff7072b2d38cab5.jpg

Screenshot_20220825_191112_com.facebook.katana.jpg.87610f4224bd5503f913ca3441f3cf3f.jpg

@RapidoCorbs  Do we know if W2 Yarmouth model will be like Medina or W4 (IOW style) please? Or if it is the later boiler/chimney versions?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

@RapidoCorbs  Do we know if W2 Yarmouth model will be like Medina or W4 (IOW style) please? Or if it is the later boiler/chimney versions?

Broadly similar to W3 'Ryde 'but with different running board - should match how the real loco will be outshopped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Broadly similar to W3 'Ryde 'but with different running board - should match how the real loco will be outshopped.

Whoa! Those differences must be really subtle. I could spot differences in rivets and buffers, there might be a slight dimension difference too..... You guy's really go to extremes LOL

Hi,

I saw the engineering samples at the Tonbridge Model Show, are you going to add photos on FB soon of both Main line and IOW versions?

Also have you considered a model of 110 during its industrial life?

Thanks Fred

20 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

I saw the engineering samples at the Tonbridge Model Show, are you going to add photos on FB soon of both Main line and IOW versions?

Also have you considered a model of 110 during its industrial life?

Thanks Fred

Never mind FB – put them on here, please. I can see myself having great difficulty in restricting myself to only one.

• Agree 1