Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've been rather intrigued by the TO BE RETURNED TO LONDON marking on the Midland D299 wagon in the background! (Comments here please.)  Looking through the Brighton photos, I'm catching glimpses of D299s in several...

Going back to the discussion of cross-London transfers from the northern lines, I was rather taken with this photo - apologies for the wrong E-number. Dated 1906, so pre-pooling. The leading section of the train is coal off the Great Northern. I think the caption is in error: the first wagon is Dinnington not Charrington; Dinnington Main colliery being in the South Yorkshire coalfield. It first produced coal in 1905 ; it's unclear to me how coal was shipped out prior to the opening of the South Yorkshire Joint.

That website is an absolute treasure chest of photos, it's made me want to model the area around Barnham just for the sheer variety of passenger services 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jack P said:

Did I miss the boat for pre-orders on this, or are they yet to be announced?

Don't worry, the boat hasn't started loading yet. We're deeply into the '16XX' at present (plus researching the two diesel shunters with Heljan) so it will be a while yet before we start taking pre-orders for the 'E1'. When we do, you'll have plenty of time. (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, SECR323 said:

Anyone know what's happening with this project?

Yes, I know. At present we're working on the 16XX with Rapido and the diesel shunters with Heljan plus the VoR tank direct. We're currently awaiting livery samples for the 16XX and when we've  Ok'd them, we can start to look at the Brighton loco. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Just now, dibber25 said:

Yes, I know. At present we're working on the 16XX with Rapido and the diesel shunters with Heljan plus the VoR tank direct. We're currently awaiting livery samples for the 16XX and when we've  Ok'd them, we can start to look at the Brighton loco. (CJL)

Can you say whether it will still be with Rapido or direct? I know they've said they're not perusing their own UK projects for a while but does that affect the E1?

1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Can you say whether it will still be with Rapido or direct? I know they've said they're not perusing their own UK projects for a while but does that affect the E1?

Rapido have said they are not pursuing their own UK projects for the time being. That comment mainly related to Birmingham buses, a gunpowder van and a diesel loco. As I understand it, the second Birmingham bus is now going ahead, the gunpowder van is dropped and the diesel has been taken up by another manufacturer. The 'E1' is not their own project, it's Model Rail's project being produced by Rapido for Model Rail. (CJL)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

14 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Rapido have said they are not pursuing their own UK projects for the time being. That comment mainly related to Birmingham buses, a gunpowder van and a diesel loco. As I understand it, the second Birmingham bus is now going ahead, the gunpowder van is dropped and the diesel has been taken up by another manufacturer. The 'E1' is not their own project, it's Model Rail's project being produced by Rapido for Model Rail. (CJL)

Is it intended to make the chassis suitable for conversion to EM or P4 gauges please?

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

While Rapido had paused their Rapido branded items to wait for Brexit to be sorted it did not impact anything they were doing for Model Rail, Revolution, Realtrack or anyone else that may have contracted with them.

That being said, in their recent Facebook Live Q&A they did indicate now that Brexit is decided they are proceeding with their own Rapido branded projects as well, and could have something to announce in the next 12 months or so (in addition to the 2nd bus that should now be in tooling with further info on the bus expected this summer, subject the usual disclaimers anything has currently).

The highlights of the Q&A (with regard to UK stuff) was posted here - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152414-rapido-ask-me-anything/&do=findComment&comment=3880695

Latest on the Fleetline bus was posted here, with link to the North American newsletter with a CAD image and the update

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139691-rapido-announce-metro-cammell-weymann-fleetline-bus/&do=findComment&comment=3936754

Edited by mdvle

On 12/05/2020 at 12:57, dibber25 said:

Thanks, This model is something us LBSCR modellers have been hoping to get produced in rtr for a long time. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait because it's a Brighton E1 being manufactured by Rapido!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SECR323 said:

Thanks, This model is something us LBSCR modellers have been hoping to get produced in rtr for a long time. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait because it's a Brighton E1 being manufactured by Rapido!

With research and specification - and investment - by Model Rail, all aimed at catering to demand. (CJL)

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...

I've only just come across this thread (better late than never) although I'd heard rumours about an E1.

As a keen Isle of Wight fan, reveling in a surfeit of Terriers, can I ask that the new model should aim to be comparable with the Hornby A1X and not try to be 'museum quality'. The Hornby A1X is about as far down the realism scale as I believe manufacturers need to go. Sure, there are a few inaccuracies in most of the variations but nothing's perfect and nothing we can't fix or live with depending on our inclination (and skill).

Compared with my attempts to make the old Dapol/Hornby Terrier look like the real thing the new incarnation is perfection  -  produce a comparable E1 and make an old man very happy. Can't wait to get my order in.

Dibber 25  ---  I've read through most of the thread now and I can't help but wonder, how many times do you have to say something before anyone listens?:rtfm:

2020's not been a good year so far - could be that there are priorities other than the E1 at the moment and a bit of patience would be to all our benefit.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Overner said:

I've read through most of the thread now

Sadly, your willingness to read through the entire thread is not always matched by others, whose lives are far too busy to permit such an attention span. Far too often a new member will come charging in with a cavalier "I haven't read all zillion pages of this thread but can someone tell me when model X is due?" Instant gratification is the expectation these days, not study. 

I used to belong to a DCC forum where similarly bald questions were posed about this or that piece of kit, to which some would simply respond RTFM - where R stands for Read, and M stands for Manual.....

• Like 7
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Overner said:

I've only just come across this thread (better late than never) although I'd heard rumours about an E1.

As a keen Isle of Wight fan, reveling in a surfeit of Terriers, can I ask that the new model should aim to be comparable with the Hornby A1X and not try to be 'museum quality'. The Hornby A1X is about as far down the realism scale as I believe manufacturers need to go. Sure, there are a few inaccuracies in most of the variations but nothing's perfect and nothing we can't fix or live with depending on our inclination (and skill).

Compared with my attempts to make the old Dapol/Hornby Terrier look like the real thing the new incarnation is perfection  -  produce a comparable E1 and make an old man very happy. Can't wait to get my order in.

At present all effort is on getting the '16XX' pannier tank into stock and out to our customers. I have no up-to-date information. I saw a picture of finished body shells a couple of weeks ago. I still hope we'll have models in stock within Q4 2020 but nothing is certain these days. The 'E1' will follow on after the '16XX' and will be to the same high standard set by Rapido with both the J70 and the 16XX. (CJL)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/09/2020 at 15:34, Overner said:

We Grockles are also looking forward to this new model, probably some time in 2022.

I share your sentiments of the level of detail. We have to handle these things, especially on an exhibition layout and do not want things falling off all the time. On some recent locos, you have to look very carefully where to pick them up without damaging something.

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1

On 24/10/2020 at 15:13, wainwright1 said:

We Grockles are also looking forward to this new model, probably some time in 2022.

I share your sentiments of the level of detail. We have to handle these things, especially on an exhibition layout and do not want things falling off all the time. On some recent locos, you have to look very carefully where to pick them up without damaging something.

All the best

Ray

I'm not aware of any complaints about detail falling off the Model Rail exclusives or coming adrift with handling and I certainly don't see it as likely to be an issue with the various tank locomotives in the present programme. However, all models do need to be handled with care at exhibitions or elsewhere. The alternative to separately-fitted details is to mould the detail on. Hornby did this some years ago in a process they called 'Design-clever'. The general reaction to it suggests that modellers prefer separately-fitted details. (CJL)

• Agree 6

Hi Chris.

I agree about the issues with Design-clever.

I do not think any of the Model Rail models suffered too much from bits falling off, although I think from memory that the USA tanks were a bit fiddly to pick up, but I have not used them for a while. 

All the best

Ray

• 3 months later...