Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

• RMweb Premium
Just now, GreenGiraffe22 said:

For me it feels like almost every company has some sort of Pannier / GWR xx loco on the go at the moment 

Oh, are some of those two-digit numbers mentioned GWR engines then? Excuse my ignorance, I loose interest in the Great Western once that young Mr Churchward starts putting funny-shaped boilers on otherwise presentable locomotives.

The E1 project will be with Rapido, and the diesel shunters are with Heljan. The Class 48 is merely a bolt-on to a Heljan Class 47 project. Progress of projects has more to do with what the Model Rail editorial team can handle and at present, we have been working from home since last March and have been one experienced person short (in a team of three and a half) since November. I don't expect any E1 progress in the immediate future. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Keen as I am to get an E1, I have to admit that delays are welcome, given the amount of new stuff coming out.

See, for me, aside from the Rails D Class there's nothing I'm really waiting for now, unless Bachmann throws me something exciting like a LBSCR D1 but I won't hold my breath :p

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...
On 01/02/2021 at 22:48, GreenGiraffe22 said:

See, for me, aside from the Rails D Class there's nothing I'm really waiting for now, unless Bachmann throws me something exciting like a LBSCR D1 but I won't hold my breath :p

The D1 would be the logical next thing for the Brighton, complementing perfectly the Dapol-Rails Terrier and the Rapido-Model Rail E1.

In many ways a more obvious choice than the E1 (perhaps late industrial service was the decisive factor in favour of the E1?).  That is not to say the E1 is not welcome, indeed, it is all the more welcome for being a less obvious but very useful choice. Particularly welcome will be the first RTR release in Stroudley Goods Green to complement the plethora of IEG Terrier releases.

Which brings me to reflect that it's been awfully quiet around here.  I did read that Rapido were to concentrate on the pannier they were doing  for MR in priority to the E1, but these seem to be arriving in customers' hands, so I was thinking that it could not be long before there was some news?

Generally I am the least impatient product anticipator - I care about if, rather than when, products will surface.  In this regard, I could not help but notice that a reference to the E1 was conspicuous by its absence in the latest edition of MR.  All other forthcoming commission models were mentioned, including some dieseasels, which I'm sure were announced after the E1 and 16XX.

Should I be worried? 

Well, I hope not.  The four 'coming soon' models are, I think, all Heljan, so will be working to an independent schedule, and one cannot, therefore, read anything into their mention concerning Rapido's commission. 

Still, it would be nice to have a hint that the E1 has not been left behind in the dash for Titfield. 

Or should I wait for the Hornby announcement ;)?

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The D1 would be the logical next thing for the Brighton, complementing perfectly the Dapol-Rails Terrier and the Rapido-Model Rail E1.

In many ways a more obvious choice than the E1 (perhaps late industrial service was the decisive factor in favour of the E1?).  That is not to say the E1 is not welcome, indeed, it is all the more welcome for being a less obvious but very useful choice. Particularly welcome will be the first RTR release in Stroudley Goods Green to complement the plethora of IEG Terrier releases.

Which brings me to reflect that it's been awfully quiet around here.  I did read that Rapido were to concentrate on the pannier they were doing  for MR in priority to the E1, but these seem to be arriving in customers' hands, so I was thinking that it could not be long before there was some news?

Generally I am the least impatient product anticipator - I care about if, rather than when, products will surface.  In this regard, I could not help but notice that a reference to the E1 was conspicuous by its absence in the latest edition of MR.  All other forthcoming commission models were mentioned, including some dieseasels, which I'm sure were announced after the E1 and 16XX.

Should I be worried? 

Well, I hope not.  The four 'coming soon' models are, I think, all Heljan, so will be working to an independent schedule, and one cannot, therefore, read anything into their mention concerning Rapido's commission. 

Still, it would be nice to have a hint that the E1 has not been left behind in the dash for Titfield. 

Or should I wait for the Hornby announcement ;)?

Hi Edwardian.

I thought that when Model Rail announced the E1, they said that it would not appear until 2022. I think that they announced the Pannier and Class 11 diesel at the same time and the latter has not appeared yet, so perhaps they are holding back details about the E1 until later in the year.

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Edwardian.

I thought that when Model Rail announced the E1, they said that it would not appear until 2022. I think that they announced the Pannier and Class 11 diesel at the same time and the latter has not appeared yet, so perhaps they are holding back details about the E1 until later in the year.

Ray

Thanks, Ray, you may well be right if that's your recollection.

I just remembered the E1 and 16XX announced at the same time and, then, somewhat later, the disappointing news (for me!) that the interesting one of the two had been put back in favour of the pannier.  Perhaps afterwards doesn't mean immediately afterwards.

I was hoping at least a nice CAD render to drool over! Still, it'll come!  

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's the nature of panniers.

Oh no, Panniers are fascinating, but the 16XX is just way too modern.  GW Saddletanks, on the other hand, are even better!  I think it was Lord Palmerston who said that only three people have every understood that subject; some bloke who was dead, another who went made thinking about them, and Palmerston himself, who'd forgotten all the details.

Actually, thinking about it, he might have been referring to the schleswig-holstein question, but he could just as easily, have said it about GW saddletanks!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

All other forthcoming commission models were mentioned, including some dieseasels, which I'm sure were announced after the E1 and 16XX.

Should I be worried? 

I doubt it - dibber25 posted on February 1st (just a couple of message up this page) that due to the work from home and MR being short staffed since November he didn't expect anything to happen for the immediate future.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Oh no, Panniers are fascinating, but the 16XX is just way too modern.  GW Saddletanks, on the other hand, are even better!  I think it was Lord Palmerston who said that only three people have every understood that subject; some bloke who was dead, another who went made thinking about them, and Palmerston himself, who'd forgotten all the details.

Lord Palmerston didn't have the advantage of the internet.

I'd jump at an 850. But one of the outside-framed classes would be even better! A Wolverhampton-built one for preference.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

But, as an overview, of 'beginner's guide', that is a great resource.  

... as advertised, of course. It's a question of how much it is safe to know. 

Another beginner's guide. Interesting to follow the link given for the Palmerston quote. It seems at first to have been just about the German professor who went mad, only a decade later accreting Price Albert (dead) and the attribution to Lord Palmerston.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... as advertised, of course. It's a question of how much it is safe to know. 

Well, that's it, by the time I've read through a section on a particular saddle tank class in the RCTS volume, I've exceeded my brain's available data storage capacity, so have to go back to the beginning again!

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Another beginner's guide. Interesting to follow the link given for the Palmerston quote. It seems at first to have been just about the German professor who went mad, only a decade later accreting Price Albert (dead) and the attribution to Lord Palmerston.

Or you could just read George MacDonald Fraser's Royal Flash, by far the most palatable treatment of the subject

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Or you could just read George MacDonald Fraser's Royal Flash, by far the most palatable treatment of the subject

Have done so - sufficiently long ago to excuse re-reading. Not the best in the Flashman series but still very enjoyable!

Model Rail have seemed kinda un enthusiastic about this one from the start... But hopefully we'll get a whiff of something soon, there seems to be Panniers left right and centre lately *yawn* :p I just went to look and was surprised that this thread was started in 2018, where the hell did 3 years go??????

• Agree 1