Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

Improved Engine Vanilla?

No sooner has the announcement been made than people are asking for other versions/classes!

A healthy degree of interest, I suppose, but forgive me if I concentrate on the good news that we will have an E1.

The E1R would seem to require a fairly significant conversion; not only is there a trailing wheel, but the frames are longer at the rear.  If someone was interested in an E1X, on the other hand, I imagine that a 3D Print or resin-cast body could be produced to fit in the chassis, as the bulk of an E1X is no doubt greater than that of the production body it would replace.

• Like 1

I wonder if the IOW did any special modifications like they did for the O2?

The only alterations made to the Island E1's was that the driving wheels were rebalanced, between 1933 and 1936 at Ryde works for passenger work, otherwise no outward changes were made. The main reason for their transfer to the Island was freight work as the Terriers were restricted to a maximum of 10 full wagons on coal trains from Medina Wharf, and with the upgrading of the track in the mid 1930's, more powerful locos were needed.   

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 2

80 seems like quite a lot when you consider there were only 10 E2s =)

Looking forward to these, what a time to be a South East / Central steam modeller =) when I got back in to the hobby a few years ago there were comparitevly very few items to do a decent mid war Brightonian layout, now look... Keep 'em coming :D

• RMweb Gold

Quite. Yet both Trix and Hornby picked the E2, presumably because it is chunkier, probably easier to mould, and may have had a similar wheelbase to an existing model. And while there were 10 E2s, there were only 5 each of the long and short tank variations.

• Like 1

Looking forward to these, what a time to be a South East / Central steam modeller =) when I got back in to the hobby a few years ago there were comparitevly very few items to do a decent mid war Brightonian layout, now look... Keep 'em coming :D

Just needs someone to bring out a nice 'K'. :sungum:

• Like 1

That’s the thing there was 80 to start off with like there was 85 0298 class. But by the 1950 -1965 period I model there was 30 E1’s by nationalision and 3 0298 class. Many classes of tank engines was worked down in numbers during nationalisation. Now hopefully an E1/R and H16 at some point. But I know I’m being greedy.

Big James.

Edited by Big James
  • Like 1

That’s the thing there was 80 to start off with like there was 85 0298 class. But by the 1950 -1965 period I model there was 30 E1’s by nationalision and 3 0298 class. Many classes of tank engines was worked down in numbers during nationalisation. Now hopefully an E1/R and H16 at some point. But I know I’m being greedy.

Big James.

Ah, I see your problem; you model the wrong period!

Fortunately, the problem is easily solved!

I’m struggling to believe it ...... it’s not April, is it?

If someone had told me when I first became a railway modeller that one day you would be able to buy an rtr Terrier I’d have been sceptical; an E1 I simply wouldn’t have believed. It’s not exactly a class with a big fan-base outside of quite diehard Brightonians, and the uninitiated tend to mistake them for Terriers anyway.

Good on ‘em for this; that’s what I say.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Now there's a thought...

"Model Rail bringing out this 1600 is so niche - I mean it can only be used on some BR Western and Scottish era layouts! It was only a small class, I mean only 70 were built! Who would want a loco that didn't even carry a pretty livery, I mean that's unthinkable! We take it for granted these days that a model spanned all eras, so why should they produce this! It's not available in a pre-grouping livery, I'm infuriated!"

I wonder if it would be better to do W2 as BR early crest and W4 as SR? This would allow one model to tie in with the sole preserved example.

I might be wrong but I think when the IWSR acquired the E1 they stated their aim was to restore it to operational service as W2 in SR Maunsell green - in which case the model W2 should eventually tie-in with the preserved example. (I'd guess it's current BR black livery is just a temporary modification of the livery it was already carrying on arrival at Havenstreet.)

Also, W4 was the last surviving IOW E1 and was still in BR early crest livery when withdrawn in 1960 so that might be a deliberate choice as well.

Edited by RichardLong

• RMweb Gold

80 examples?

When you consider the LNWR had 943 DX Goods and built another 86 for the L&YR, then it's a miniscule class. Both in size and number.

Jason

I wasn’t aware that comparison with other railways was part of appreciating a newly-announced model.

Let's not become obsessed by size.........bigger is not always better........you can have great fun with small ones.......

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now there's a thought...

"Model Rail bringing out this 1600 is so niche - I mean it can only be used on some BR Western and Scottish era layouts! It was only a small class, I mean only 70 were built! Who would want a loco that didn't even carry a pretty livery, I mean that's unthinkable! We take it for granted these days that a model spanned all eras, so why should they produce this! It's not available in a pre-grouping livery, I'm infuriated!"

Bring on the Hawksworth 15xx 0-6-0PT

• Like 2

At last, a Southern locomotive in which I have no interest.  Or perhaps it is all too much, finally. 

In the words of the Bard: "Give me excess of it; that surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die."

I might be wrong but I think when the IWSR acquired the E1 they stated their aim was to restore it to operational service as W2 in SR Maunsell green - in which case the model W2 should eventually tie-in with the preserved example. (I'd guess it's current BR black livery is just a temporary modification of the livery it was already carrying on arrival at Havenstreet.)

Also, W4 was the last surviving IOW E1 and was still in BR early crest livery when withdrawn in 1960 so that might be a deliberate choice as well.

Believe me, it's all been very carefully thought out and well researched. I haven't been involved in that aspect but I believe that the surviving 'E1' has numerous 'private owner' mods including a 'wrong' boiler, so is only of limited use in researching the model. Any version to represent the loco as restored in the future would represent how we are told it is going to look. The 'E1' model is still some way off, as it is intended for release in 2020. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 3

. The 'E1' model is still some way off, as it is intended for release in 2020. (CJL)

Given the year on year price increases and Rapidos high level of quality, by then, could we be looking at a £150 tank loco?

Edited by JSpencer