Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

On 08/06/2019 at 13:13, Steamport Southport said:

I wonder if we'll get 1661 with it's chalked on name.

VINEGAR CASTLE. :lol:

Jason

I'm afraid 1661 is wrongly credited in Model Rail as working Lea & Perrins - should be Hill Evans Vinegar Works. Most of the evidence of this line have disappeared following development of the area, some of the track routes are picked out in coloured brick in the St Martins Quarter. I came across the attached drawing many years ago but have no idea from where it came....

vinegar map.jpg

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Martin_R said:

I'm afraid 1661 is wrongly credited in Model Rail as working Lea & Perrins - should be Hill Evans Vinegar Works. Most of the evidence of this line have disappeared following development of the area, some of the track routes are picked out in coloured brick in the St Martins Quarter. I came across the attached drawing many years ago but have no idea from where it came....

vinegar map.jpg

Thats off the MIAC web site Martin

Plenty more gen and pictures on there

http://www.miac.org.uk/hillevans.html#gwr1639

http://www.miac.org.uk/vinegarmap.html

Phil

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thats off the MIAC web site Martin

Plenty more gen and pictures on there

http://www.miac.org.uk/hillevans.html#gwr1639

http://www.miac.org.uk/vinegarmap.html

Phil

Many thanks Phil,

That explains a lot as I picked up the drawing and some others with about 100 black and white photos at a car boot over 30 years ago, I had no idea where they came from. Note to self - find the photos............

Cheers,

Martin.

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They may have got that from the Pannier Papers book. It says Lea & Perrins in that. Pages 51 - 54.

Personally I wouldn't have known any better. Not my area. But I think it's something a bit different.

Jason

That's one of the references we've been using. (CJL)

• Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 00:38, 247 Developments said:

Anyone looking to re-number the 16xx them we have the full set of No's in stock 

I now understand the expression,

' that's a bit previous'........

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I've seen mention of these working Lydney docks. I'm off on holiday to Lydney in September, can anyone provide me with any reference material and pointers on Google Earth/Maps as to where the railway was? I can feel a small dock layout and a couple 16xx's coming on... 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, dibber25 said:

That's one of the references we've been using. (CJL)

Triangulation is key! Its a natural assumption Worcester = Sauce, it was even on the table in Croatia last year!

Hope it hasnt got you in too much of a pickle...

Phil

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

29 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Triangulation is key! Its a natural assumption Worcester = Sauce, it was even on the table in Croatia last year!

Hope it hasnt got you in too much of a pickle...

Phil

This is completely off topic but (I like Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce) I know that Worcester sauce is hot stuff, but what ingredient is so flammable that the locos needed spark arrestors? I've sat here sticking lighted matches into vinegar but so far I still have my eyebrows! I need to order the Tetbury branch one (I twisted Richard's arm to include it) and one of the 'Busby' examples just because they're such fun-looking things. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

38 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

This is completely off topic but (I like Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce) I know that Worcester sauce is hot stuff, but what ingredient is so flammable that the locos needed spark arrestors? I've sat here sticking lighted matches into vinegar but so far I still have my eyebrows! I need to order the Tetbury branch one (I twisted Richard's arm to include it) and one of the 'Busby' examples just because they're such fun-looking things. (CJL)

Not sure, but I.think the spark-arrestor ones were intended for a munitions depot in the area. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Not sure, but I.think the spark-arrestor ones were intended for a munitions depot in the area. 

Possibly the RNAD at Ditton Priors

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Yup that’s the one. 1661 was used on “the gadget” .... cleobury mortimer to Ditton priors admiralty depot once the two indigenous pannier tanks 28 and 29 had gone . Naval ammo dump in rural Shropshire.... one way to fool enemy spies I guess! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Did they have Sub Lieutenant Phillips navigating?  :jester:

Left hand down a bit....Ohh, Nasty!

Actually, that triggers a few memories that are completely off topic. Last time I was in Cleobury Mortimer was in about 1989 when I helping out on a summer camp for kids with behavioural problems. All of us volunteers spent the evenings in a pub run by an ex-military chap who was perpetually drunk in a sub-Leslie Phillips sort of way. Not thought about that in almost 20 years. Cheers!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NXEA! said:

I've seen mention of these working Lydney docks. I'm off on holiday to Lydney in September, can anyone provide me with any reference material and pointers on Google Earth/Maps as to where the railway was? I can feel a small dock layout and a couple 16xx's coming on... 

Lydney harbour is still there, well worth a visit. There are a number of interpretive panels in place showing the layout/ operation etc with photos from the Pope/ Parkhouse collection. Info/ photos etc in numerous books on the area.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dibber25 said:

... one of the 'Busby' examples just because they're such fun-looking things. (CJL)

Well, if CJL thinks it’s all right to include something for that reason, it makes me feel better. A very good move – that is precisely why I want one.