Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

It has always fascinated me that other railways had perfectly civilised spark arrestors - the 'J70' for instance has a small mess cylinder on top of the chimney - so why did Swindon feel the need to go to the Wild West for a spark arrestor? Those on the 16XXs probably came from the earlier panniers but even so, why something so 'un-British'? (CJL)

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

It has always fascinated me that other railways had perfectly civilised spark arrestors - the 'J70' for instance has a small mess cylinder on top of the chimney - so why did Swindon feel the need to go to the Wild West for a spark arrestor? Those on the 16XXs probably came from the earlier panniers but even so, why something so 'un-British'? (CJL)

I thinks its a correlation between the blastpipe, back pressure in the smokebox, and the lack of a jumper ring normally found on Western locomotives. Some locomotives have a soft exhaust:- "Whoof, Whoof. Whoof". Some had an angry bark, or crack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As above. I think it might have been something to do with the draughting arrangements. The 16xxs were designed at the time that Sam Ell was doing a lot of good work at Swindon -  on the Manors, for example - and this may have had a bearing on spark arrestor design.

I'm not sure when the GWR's 'busby' design originated, but it was long before Sam Ell's time. Here's a different 1610 on 11 September 1927. (1610 was a regular at the Didcot Ordinance Depot for many years.)

1610-swindon-11sep27-small.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can't find of photo of one but some of the L&YR Pugs had them as well. For working at an Ordnance factory at Aintree in WWI I believe.

I think it was just a more efficient means of eradicating stray sparks.

Number 19 still has the shorter, straight chimney. Photo from Wiki.

Riverside_Railway_Museum_-_LYR_19.JPG

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2019 at 18:32, dibber25 said:

This is completely off topic but (I like Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce) I know that Worcester sauce is hot stuff, but what ingredient is so flammable that the locos needed spark arrestors? I've sat here sticking lighted matches into vinegar but so far I still have my eyebrows! I need to order the Tetbury branch one (I twisted Richard's arm to include it) and one of the 'Busby' examples just because they're such fun-looking things. (CJL)

Is the spark  arrestor fitted version 1616 as stated, because the photograph shows 1661? I ask because I'm rather taken by this shot of 1616 at Over Junction.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Is the spark  arrestor fitted version 1616 as stated, because the photograph shows 1661? I ask because I'm rather taken by this shot of 1616 at Over Junction.

The text will be correct. I suspect we just didn't have a photo of 1616 that we could publish. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of enquiries for Chris please.

It's a straightforward task to renumber a model but to save another 'odd job'  I'd be looking for a St Blazey 83E based loco if possible. 1603 (MR303A) is listed as coming from that shed but erroneously (AFIK) listed as 83B which was Taunton. My, albeit limited, references suggest 1603 was not shedded at St Blazey whereas 1624 or 1664 would be more likely choices. 1624 is pictured in 'Steam in Cornwall' by Peter Gray at Burngullow during 1961. It is so filthy the style of BR emblem is irrelevant! 

I appreciate 1624 and 1664 are covered but not with 83E shed plates, a bit of extra weathering would solve all problems I guess!

On the subject of weathering, I was wondering how this was to be done? Hopefully along the lines of that on the Dapol Westerns of a few years ago and not the 'Rally GB mud' coming in red or blue boxes.

Sorry to be picky, I should be (I am :danced:) glad we're getting a 16XX at all!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

A couple of enquiries for Chris please.

It's a straightforward task to renumber a model but to save another 'odd job'  I'd be looking for a St Blazey 83E based loco if possible. 1603 (MR303A) is listed as coming from that shed but erroneously (AFIK) listed as 83B which was Taunton. My, albeit limited, references suggest 1603 was not shedded at St Blazey whereas 1624 or 1664 would be more likely choices. 1624 is pictured in 'Steam in Cornwall' by Peter Gray at Burngullow during 1961. It is so filthy the style of BR emblem is irrelevant! 

I appreciate 1624 and 1664 are covered but not with 83E shed plates, a bit of extra weathering would solve all problems I guess!

On the subject of weathering, I was wondering how this was to be done? Hopefully along the lines of that on the Dapol Westerns of a few years ago and not the 'Rally GB mud' coming in red or blue boxes.

Sorry to be picky, I should be (I am :danced:) glad we're getting a 16XX at all!

On the previous page of this thread 247 Developments posted that they have the complete range of 16XX numberplates available so renumbering shouldn't be difficult assuming the printed plates on the model are the same size as the etched plates and in any case as all the engines are black it doesn't matter too much as the edges can be easily touched up with black paint.  I will inevitably have to do the same as for sentimental reasons I want 1636 in the 'livery' and condition I photographed it when it was at Slough and notwithstanding the picture of it in that condition in 'Model Rail' No.262  it won't be one of the stock models so will have to be renumbered.

(Apologies to Chris as I  am assuming the the MR model comes with printed plates not etched ones) 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The model comes (as planned at present) with printed plates (both number and shed codes). I think I may be guilty of getting 1664 changed from St. Blazey to Swindon allocation as it was the last steam loco to work the Tetbury branch on a regular basis. We have given a good spread of allocations, though, and there is at least one St. Blazey loco. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 2

MR303A 1603 with 83B St Blazey (but 83B was Taunton, 83E was St Blazey) has been changed on the Model Rail Offers site to now be 1626 with the later St Blazey shed plate 84B

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Shed plates are available from 247.

Other suppliers are available, for example:

https://modelmaster.uk/4mm-81a-89d-nickel-silver-shedcode-plates-pack-of-six/17587-83e.html?search_query=83e&results=1

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/shedcode-83e

Usual disclaimer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

MR303A 1603 with 83B St Blazey (but 83B was Taunton, 83E was St Blazey) has been changed on the Model Rail Offers site to now be 1626 with the later St Blazey shed plate 84B

1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

The model comes (as planned at present) with printed plates (both number and shed codes). I think I may be guilty of getting 1664 changed from St. Blazey to Swindon allocation as it was the last steam loco to work the Tetbury branch on a regular basis. We have given a good spread of allocations, though, and there is at least one St. Blazey loco. (CJL)

Thank you Chris and all. I can well understand the sentimental attachment, I would be doing exactly the same! Printed cab side plates very welcome, they can easily be changed for etched. As for shed & smokebox plates I alway use transfers as they are much less 'in your face'. If they don't already I'm sure Railtec will soon be doing 3D shed plate transfers, their range is constantly expanding. (No connection).

As for the St Blazey shed code, it was 83E until the summer of 1963 by which time steam engines in Cornwall were rare and 1626 had long gone to the blast furnace. 

No matter, the WD40 is working well on the padlock attached to my wallet...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Printed cab side plates very welcome, they can easily be changed for etched. As for shed & smokebox plates I alway use transfers as they are much less 'in your face'. If they don't already I'm sure Railtec will soon be doing 3D shed plate transfers, their range is constantly expanding. (No connection).

Indeed :>)

20190322fb.jpg

Your choice of shed code (& other bits) available via:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=custom+3d

...although currently just temporarily unavailable due to an inbox bursting at its seams with requests for new work, new packs for new liveries having just been released, etc.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

On 13/06/2019 at 20:47, Bishop of Welchester said:

Some more pictures of 1661 on the Vinegar express here

https://www.cfow.org.uk/index.php?/category/64

But not too sure about the additional chimney protuberance in the Model Rail photo!

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/65551/MR-308-Rapido-Class-16XX-Steam-Locomotive-number-1661

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2019 at 21:26, dibber25 said:

The text will be correct. I suspect we just didn't have a photo of 1616 that we could publish. (CJL)

It looks as though the text has now been changed to match the photograph.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Some more pictures of 1661 on the Vinegar express here

https://www.cfow.org.uk/index.php?/category/64

But not too sure about the additional chimney protuberance in the Model Rail photo!

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/65551/MR-308-Rapido-Class-16XX-Steam-Locomotive-number-1661

Phil

I think the latter dates from Swindon's gothic period ;)

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Rather out of gauge, isn’t it? :jester: Sure as anything, it isn’t going to get through my Airfix girder bridges.

It'll be hinged, like the one on Old Dan's carriage in the Titfield Thunderbolt! (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

It'll be hinged, like the one on Old Dan's carriage in the Titfield Thunderbolt! (CJL)

Ah of course! DCC controlled...

• Funny 1

1424770233_1664Kemble.jpeg.04fbf576ebf37841ef2d47017f05e019.jpegApologies for picture quality - taken by a teenager on a Kodak Brownie. I'm pretty certain I wasn't with my brother when he took these at Kemble early in 1964. Judging from our last surviving Abc Combined Volume, this is 1664 with the Tetbury branch 'Toad' W17390, in the up main platform at Kemble apparently crossing between the Cirencester and Tetbury branches. Not strictly on topic, but a chance to show a couple of photos that aren't likely to make it into publication. We'll be offering the Dart Valley green version, too.  (CJL)

Dart Valley 16XX.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, dibber25 said:

1424770233_1664Kemble.jpeg.04fbf576ebf37841ef2d47017f05e019.jpegApologies for picture quality - taken by a teenager on a Kodak Brownie. I'm pretty certain I wasn't with my brother when he took these at Kemble early in 1964. Judging from our last surviving Abc Combined Volume, this is 1664 with the Tetbury branch 'Toad' W17390, in the up main platform at Kemble apparently crossing between the Cirencester and Tetbury branches. Not strictly on topic, but a chance to show a couple of photos that aren't likely to make it into publication. We'll be offering the Dart Valley green version, too.  (CJL)

Dart Valley 16XX.jpeg

Tut tut. You'd never see barrows that close to the platform edge on the real thing - would you?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2019 at 01:39, St Enodoc said:

Tut tut. You'd never see barrows that close to the platform edge on the real thing - would you?

But they are of course parked parallel to the platform edge ;)   The first pic is slightly lacking because if it had showed a bit more to the right edge instead of all that railway stuff on the left you'd have got the pub into the picture:rolleyes:

• Like 2