Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

I called “Kernow” about my order, Guises changed and items substituted to items that I did not want. No contact from Model Rail/Kernow that they were making changes and the person on the call was not helpful, basically saying they only take orders and/or change orders.

I will probably still purchase a 16xx but until they stop making changes to the gusies and sort out customer service I will hold off placing an order.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

I called “Kernow” about my order, Guises changed and items substituted to items that I did not want. No contact from Model Rail/Kernow that they were making changes and the person on the call was not helpful, basically saying they only take orders and/or change orders.

I will probably still purchase a 16xx but until they stop making changes to the gusies and sort out customer service I will hold off placing an order.

Absolutely true. Kernow's role with Model Rail commissions is purely to handle sales and despatch, so they will only know what Model Rail tell them and that is presumably updated on their website as soon as they are advised. However, I agree that you should have been advised if they amended your order.

It's unfortunate that Model Rail have shifted the goalposts and it's anybody's guess if there will be further alterations.

Holding off until Model Rail announce (as they presumably will) that all the variations have been finalised is probably wise.

John

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Absolutely true. Kernow's role with Model Rail commissions is purely to handle sales and despatch, so they will only know what Model Rail tell them and that is presumably updated on their website as soon as they are advised. However, I agree that you should have been advised if they amended your order.

It's unfortunate that Model Rail have shifted the goalposts and it's anybody's guess if there will be further alterations.

Holding off until Model Rail announce (as they presumably will) that all the variations have been finalised is probably wise

Probably also applies to Kernow - until they are sure that Model Rail won't change things again they may not want to spend the time/money to call people whose orders have changed if the risk is they will change again.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Holding off until Model Rail announce (as they presumably will) that all the variations have been finalised is probably wise.

John

Yes,  I'm still holding off ordering until it is absolutely clear which versions will be which.  Although in soem resects that is a little daft because I'll obviously put etched plates on it anyway although it would still be down to having the correct version of the little lion on the side of the tanks ;)

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2020 at 11:28, The Stationmaster said:

Although in some respects that is a little daft because I'll obviously put etched plates on it anyway

Quite right. The only serious variations between the locos in this relatively small class is the totem on the tanks (looking at the Pannier Papers, then if you're not sure, an early crest 'cycling lion' is a pretty good bet) and whether it had a 'bushby' chimney or not.

Applying etched numberplates to the cab sides and smokebox door (already cut out for you) is pretty straightforward, for those who may not have done this kind of thing before.

Also, how long have we been talking about 'guises?' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_of_Guise ???

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 24/02/2020 at 19:54, Miss Prism said:

Please lose the tank seam welds - they never work in 4mm scale:

16xx-seam-welds.jpg.1e65605a76f1703703cf7379db7bde18.jpg

Remember, this was a first hit off the tooling, and unpainted. I'm currently waiting for delivery of the sample from the USA but, of course, there is currently no progress in China as the factories are closed. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2019 at 03:53, dibber25 said:

I have now tabulated a list of the revisions to catalogue numbers and running numbers of the 16XX models and have included it below. I have simply cross-referenced from the current advertisement to the previous one. Please be advised that I have no idea why the changes were made (doubtless there was good reason behind them) or of the logic behind particular choices, so there's no point asking. I understand that Rapido is currently in process of revising the artwork to suit. (CJL)

16XX number revisions.docx 47.84 kB · 119 downloads

On 20/02/2020 at 04:07, Bob83a said:

The changed were documented by Chris in November. He posted the list in the above post. 

7 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

The changed were documented by Chris in November. He posted the list in the above post. 

I commented about the changes back in November, and then I gave them 3 months to tell me that they were changing my order, nothing was received in that time. 

For 1 item I ordered MR303A which has been deleted, this order was changed to MR303.

I also ordered MR301F,  the guises changes mean that MR301G is a better model for my collection.

I expected that they would notify me about the changes and ask what to do.

It is like ordering a banana and being told a corn of the cob will be sent with the excuse it was still yellow.

I particularly wanted items local to the SW, Taunton/St Blazey.

Originally they indicated the shed code of all the models, this has been dropped from all the resent lists, but there are resources that can help.

The lack of contact from them is in my book poor customer service.

It also appears that despite cancelling my order completely last month it is still showing on the Kernow system, but that might be just because of the issues with the Kernow system where order status is not updated. 

But as I previously indicated I will probably order one model once the guises are conformed but I do not want to risk being sent items that I do not want.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Can I ask whether the decorated sample shown on the MR Facebook page uses the original EP model? I notice it still has the poking out NEM pocket. 

And the prominent weld 'seams' on the pannier tanks (sorry!).

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

And the prominent weld 'seams' on the pannier tanks (sorry!).

I was just about to mention that as well.  From looking at the photo on Facebook, it does look as if they are still there on the decorated sample.

It could be that while the production factory are producing the decorated samples, the tooling factory is making the adjustments instead of using the final EP models.

I see it as a timesaving method because the final artwork could then be applied to the final EP model before production starts. That's my theory anyway. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Crouchja32 said:

I wonder if Rapido is aware of this photograph:
Ex-BR No.1607 at Hazel Rigg Colliery in May 1965. The description for the image seems to suggest it was numbered 12. 

Thanks for posting.

To be clear (and in fairness to those at Model Rail doing this), while Rapido is handling the making of the model it is a Model Rail project - Model Rail has contracted with Rapido and Model Rail are the ones making the decisions regarding liveries, numbers, details, etc.

For obvious reasons Model Rail doesn't really participate on this forum, rather it is the gracious consideration of dibber25 to post in his spare time to occasionally update us here.

Thus if you want to bring this to Model Rail's attention best to do so through either their contact details or through their Facebook presence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Crouchja32 said:

I wonder if Rapido is aware of this photograph: RAIL-PHOTO-NCB-EX-GWR-LOCO-NO.jpg
Ex-BR No.1607 at Hazel Rigg Colliery in May 1965. The description for the image seems to suggest it was numbered 12. 

It may have been numbered 12 on paper, but it still kept it's cabside numberplates and stayed in ex BR condition as far as I know. Although it has lost it's smoke box numberplate.

This is it shortly before withdrawal. With 1623 marked for scrap.   :(

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/35389464274/

I've not seen any evidence that the two which went to the NCB were ever repainted or physically renumbered I'm afraid.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

I have brought this photo to the attention of the relevant people. However, we are a long way down the road with this model - I actually have the NCB livery sample test-running on my layout and it may be that the livery has already been passed for production. In the absence of any colour photographs of 1607 in colliery use, the livery is fictitious but based on that of 7754, of which we had several pictures. I understand, however, that some changes are being made to the livery application on this particular model. We were keen to offer some variation from the plain black BR livery, hence opting for NCB green and for the preserved version of 1638 in GWR green. The BR black version can easily be renumbered to represent any of the class. It should be noted that all research for this model has been done by Model Rail editorial staff. Rapido have undertaken the design and manufacture of the model, based on information supplied from the UK. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Slightly jerky running - seemingly when the connecting rods (as viewed) reach TDC. I expect as with most models, a bit of running in will be required. I don't particularly like gloss finishes, but a bit of weathering will tone it down. Nonetheless a very nice loco - almost a must-have for any GWR/BR(W) based layout - count me in!

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately, due to lock-down the model went straight to the photographer, untested, and the photographer has no means of running it in. I have two others running on my layout, which are fine but I don't have any means of filming them. The model that was filmed is actually a livery sample. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2