Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

• RMweb Gold
Just now, swisspeat said:

I am starting to think watching big boats is nearly as much fun as watching trains!

You now have me hooked on this chain.

peter

P.S. I just hope they have not dropped the container off in error at the port just left........

No real problem if they did unload the container at Zeebrugge provided it is being tracked (which it should be).  if somebody has their head screwed on all they need to is get it to Antwerp and onto one of the regular coastal container ship sailing from there to Felixstowe.  If they got on with it the container would be in Felixstowe before Cosco Galaxy has reached Gdansk as there are regular sailings on that route.  

There don't appear to be any regular coastal box boats between Zeebrugge and Felixstowe except as part of the long distance routes (as in via Gdansk).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, swisspeat said:

Seriously interesting for one like me who takes a harbour boat trip wherever he can!

Should you change your name from Stationmaster to Harbourmaster based on your wealth of knowledge!

:-)

I just happen to like spending holidays onboard an interesting ship but having had 7 years of it from 2012 to 2019 our two separate weeks in 2020 were cancelled and the ship is never again going to carry passengers regrettably as i would have booked for another couple of weeks this year.  As it was a working ship with free access to the bridge and being relatively small it was also excellent for ship watching and photography.  Only round the English and Welsh coasts but plenty to see all the time.  And a good way to learn about some matters nautical - plus I now where to look on teh 'net to see what ships are doing ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I remember when my grandad and two of my uncles were still on the "boats" the only way you could find out where they were was in the local newspapers. In the Liverpool Daily Post there was a section where all the ships were and when they were due in port. I think some of the quality papers also had a section as part of the business pages.

You would have a vague idea. But if they were on a foreign ship you wouldn't have a clue until it reached port.

This was the last ship my grandad was on. I visited that ship in Tilbury about 1986. I was asked whether I was interested in doing it as a job but knew it wasn't for me. I would have died of boredom to be honest. All they seemed to do was watch rubbish films on the video. And I mean rubbish, all low budget martial arts movies.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1238580

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/01/2021 at 18:49, Steamport Southport said:

Cosco Galaxy? Sounds like an own brand chocolate bar....

:laugh:

I suppose I'd better order one then. Need to find my subs number, I put it in a place where I'll remember.....

It's Vinegar Castle I'm mainly after. I'll pick up a normal one at a later date. but I can see 1661 being popular.

Jason

When I ordered my 16XX they said they didn’t need my subs number, hope I don’t get charged the full price!

2 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

When I ordered my 16XX they said they didn’t need my subs number, hope I don’t get charged the full price!

I think Kernow has a list of subscribers. Probably to stop anyone trying it on by using subscription numbers of their mates. 

If people don't know their numbers it's the long one on the envelope beginning with a 110.......

No idea about digital subscriptions but probably on any emails you've received.

Jason

• Thanks 1

Kernow can check who is, or isn't a subscriber and can also locate your number if you don't have it, although to make life easier for all, its better if you can provide your number. However, if you pre-ordered, please wait to be contacted as the shipment will still take some weeks before it arrives. (CJL)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Kernow can check who is, or isn't a subscriber and can also locate your number if you don't have it, although to make life easier for all, its better if you can provide your number. However, if you pre-ordered, please wait to be contacted as the shipment will still take some weeks before it arrives. (CJL)

Judging by my past experience with the MR J70  Kernow  are very good at linking name to MR subscription number to payment card number (but they have the latter readily to hand as I'm a regular customer).

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Cosco Galaxy just about to leave the Kattegat heading towards the North Sea

cosco.png.66d0960830baa0e311710109539ac226.png

Edited by Mikkel
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 12

So... Showing my ignorance here; does the container get unloaded into lorries at Felixstowe, or does the whole container go forward to somewhere else? Might it even go by rail to one of the distribution hubs in the Midlands? I'm assuming there aren't enough models to fill the container, so does anyone here know what the little 4mm scale 16xx panniers are sharing the container with? Or does the container contain lots of somewhat stale air?

2 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

So... Showing my ignorance here; does the container get unloaded into lorries at Felixstowe, or does the whole container go forward to somewhere else? Might it even go by rail to one of the distribution hubs in the Midlands? I'm assuming there aren't enough models to fill the container, so does anyone here know what the little 4mm scale 16xx panniers are sharing the container with? Or does the container contain lots of somewhat stale air?

Its 8 pallets. I've no idea if that's a container-full or not. I suspect it will go to a break-bulk warehouse before trucking to Cornwall.  (CJL) 

1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

Its 8 pallets. I've no idea if that's a container-full or not. I suspect it will go to a break-bulk warehouse before trucking to Cornwall.  (CJL) 

If a 40 foot container those usually hold about 20 pallets (no stacking) or 23-24 euro pallets (again not stacked).

So likely LTL - so there'll be a delay while the container is destuffed and your pallets are moved (probably to courier?).

If you had your own 20 foot it's possible they'd have sent it with 8 pallets as it'd hold about 10. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems there are also ISO standard sizes for pallets in the same way as there are standard sizes for containers.  Pallets come in a variety of sizes but those common to Europe and Asia  are   1067mmx1067mm or 1000mmx1200mm; (800mmx1200mm appears to be solely used in Europe).  The internal dimensions of a 40 foot ISO box are 12.025m x 2.025m wide x 2.393m high (or = 39'6" x 7'9" x 7'10").

So 8 of the larger size of pallet that is most load. efficient in a 40foot box (= 1000mmx1200mm pallets) would take an area 2 metres wide x 4.8 metres long if not stacked which means that they would not  fill a container on their own.  So it sounds as if they will be part load/groupage hence the container will go to a handling agent to break bulk.   Some forwarding agents claim shorter overall transit times for traffic conveyed in this manner compared with a full load containers which seems a bit odd but maybe it is easier to get them out of the port if they're only going to a relatively local destination?

This is one of my 2019 views of a slighty smaller Cosco vessel on the berth currently occupied by Cosco Galaxy; the most cranes I've ever seen working simultaieously on this berth is three so it can take a while to turn round a large container ship

421591739_P1010380copy.jpg.1f85158bc833db33e0e6313b019cd85a.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Does anyone know where it may be possible to find out which of the 16xx’s received a late BR crest before withdrawal? Thanks Fred

Pannier Papers has most information.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pannier-Papers-16XX-No/dp/1906919216

But something as specific as what crest they carried you'll probably have to do your own research. It's not something that people noted. The railways certainly didn't.

Jason

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It seems there are also ISO standard sizes for pallets in the same way as there are standard sizes for containers.  Pallets come in a variety of sizes but those common to Europe and Asia  are   1067mmx1067mm or 1000mmx1200mm; (800mmx1200mm appears to be solely used in Europe).  The internal dimensions of a 40 foot ISO box are 12.025m x 2.025m wide x 2.393m high (or = 39'6" x 7'9" x 7'10").

So 8 of the larger size of pallet that is most load. efficient in a 40foot box (= 1000mmx1200mm pallets) would take an area 2 metres wide x 4.8 metres long if not stacked which means that they would not  fill a container on their own.  So it sounds as if they will be part load/groupage hence the container will go to a handling agent to break bulk.   Some forwarding agents claim shorter overall transit times for traffic conveyed in this manner compared with a full load containers which seems a bit odd but maybe it is easier to get them out of the port if they're only going to a relatively local destination?

This is one of my 2019 views of a slighty smaller Cosco vessel on the berth currently occupied by Cosco Galaxy; the most cranes I've ever seen working simultaieously on this berth is three so it can take a while to turn round a large container ship

421591739_P1010380copy.jpg.1f85158bc833db33e0e6313b019cd85a.jpg

Pallets are fascinating. Did you know there is a Euro Pallet (ePal) and the rest of the world. If you want to learn more and have 12 minutes of your life spare, then listen to 'The Boring Talks' episode 4. Trust me, for people like us, this talks are anything but boring!  Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05xltbh  

[They haven't done one about pannier liveries. Yet]

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 20.25.24.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1