Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Pallets are fascinating. Did you know there is a Euro Pallet (ePal) and the rest of the world. If you want to learn more and have 12 minutes of your life spare, then listen to 'The Boring Talks' episode 4. Trust me, for people like us, this talks are anything but boring!  Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05xltbh  

[They haven't done one about pannier liveries. Yet]

Hello Mel

That is brilliant! 

Brian

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2021 at 20:35, Miss Prism said:

I was surprised how few late crests featured in that collection. I guess many locos really didn't notch up significant mileage to warrant major works visits, and possibly ended their days with their early crests.

Looking at the 16xx works histories published in Railway Bylines there were (at least) four of the class that didn't last long enough to receive a heavy overhaul.  Those at least would be very unlikely to have been repainted.

Les

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Martin_R said:

Just received my receipt too. 1668 and 1661 hopefully on the way, 1661 will bring back memories of footplate rides with my Grandfather down to Hill Evans.......

9283299A-5A3D-491A-8718-5247B6A0B816.jpeg

BBBC36DB-F950-45D2-A9FF-EAFEC3404217.jpeg

Happy days ... nice picture of Pheasant Street there

41 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Happy days ... nice picture of Pheasant Street there

You’re right about happy days Phil. Some more here, Shrub Hill road and the canal bridge, please someone invent that time machine and I can relive those memories......

8D817961-CA2E-4D68-94B4-4A53B7B37E3E.jpeg

84A1FBCD-EED0-4FA9-A4BD-7F80F4E9BCAA.jpeg

F3D2F947-CFC8-4C0C-A249-FD97C5E01A16.jpeg

Edited by Martin_R
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Interesting flat-bottom-rail deck base on the bridge.

I think it looks a bit unusual because the ballast comes right up to the top of the longitudinal timbers (or are they actually girders?) which makes the base of the rail look far wider.  There also appear to be no baseplates with the rail fastenings fixed directly to the timbers - which make me wonder if they are steel girders instead of the more usual timbers?

• Like 2

Those are some of the pictures I used as inspiration when building my '16XX' diorama for the issue back before Christmas. Having looked on Google Earth I reckoned that bridge is still there, now used as a road access and seems to be inside private property. I guess from the comments above, the 16XXs must have reached Cornwall. I've not had any confirmation of that, though.(CJL)

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think it looks a bit unusual because the ballast comes right up to the top of the longitudinal timbers (or are they actually girders?) which makes the base of the rail look far wider.  There also appear to be no baseplates with the rail fastenings fixed directly to the timbers - which make me wonder if they are steel girders instead of the more usual timbers?

If my memory (of nearly 70 years ago) serves me right I’m sure it was solid sleepers on the steel decking with no gaps plus longitudinal planking out side the rails. Remember factory workers using the bridge as a shortcut over the canal. The attached section of old map shows the line and environs.

BE6AD876-89BE-4628-8E8A-169F058536EF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Martin_R said:

If my memory (of nearly 70 years ago) serves me right I’m sure it was solid sleepers on the steel decking with no gaps plus longitudinal planking out side the rails. Remember factory workers using the bridge as a shortcut over the canal. The attached section of old map shows the line and environs.

BE6AD876-89BE-4628-8E8A-169F058536EF.jpeg

Nice map showing part of the maze of industrial lines west of Shrub Hill. The engineering works was the home of Heenan and Froude with its subsidiary Associated Locomotive Engineering, who developed British Caprotti valve gear as used amongst others on 71000

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I guess from the comments above, the 16XXs must have reached Cornwall. I've not had any confirmation of that, though.(CJL)

Yes they did, Chris. Several were allocated to St Blazey and used mainly on the china-clay branches. Plenty of photos in various books on the railways of Cornwall and also on the Cornwall Railway Society's website:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/cornwall-galleries.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes they did, Chris. Several were allocated to St Blazey and used mainly on the china-clay branches. Plenty of photos in various books on the railways of Cornwall and also on the Cornwall Railway Society's website:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/cornwall-galleries.html

I actually meant the models! Anyway I understand they are en route - the models, that is. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

The 16xx models are due to arrive in Cornwall for fulfilling orders next week. We have already started to process orders in date order, where payment details are available and current.

Due to Covid-19 it will take slightly longer than usual to process orders, so please bear with us and do not contact us for individual updates as this just slows down the process, we will contact you if necessary. Many thanks.

Edited by Kernow MRC
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just thought I had better check, are these models compatible with low-frequency feedback controllers? The advert in the magazine lists the J70 as having a 'Coreless' motor and the 16xx as having a 'Five-pole' motor so I assumed it would be ok, but I believe even coreless motors have poles. I'm also assuming that, since only one price is listed and there is no indication either way, that these are DCC-ready models (not DCC-fitted).

30 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Just thought I had better check, are these models compatible with low-frequency feedback controllers? The advert in the magazine lists the J70 as having a 'Coreless' motor and the 16xx as having a 'Five-pole' motor so I assumed it would be ok, but I believe even coreless motors have poles. I'm also assuming that, since only one price is listed and there is no indication either way, that these are DCC-ready models (not DCC-fitted).

The 16XX is fitted with a Next-18 DCC decoder socket. The instructions simply warn against the use of old DC controllers which can produce excessive high voltages. (CJL)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've just had an email receipt for my payment from the Guildford shop, so will the model come from Stoke road, Guildford or Trelowarren Street, Camborne? 

I used to work from Stoke road Guildford back in the 1980s when motorcycle dispatch riding for Cycle Courier.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

I've just had an email receipt for my payment from the Guildford shop, so will the model come from Stoke road, Guildford or Trelowarren Street, Camborne? 

I used to work from Stoke road Guildford back in the 1980s when motorcycle dispatch riding for Cycle Courier.

The model will be shipped from Camborne,  to assist with the workload the Guildford store team are checking some orders and processing the payments. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

The model will be shipped from Camborne,  to assist with the workload the Guildford store team are checking some orders and processing the payments. 

Which one have you ordered.:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

Please can I ask everyone to be patient. There will (I hope!) be a lot of orders to be dealt with and very difficult circumstances with the pandemic and a small and scattered workforce. We at Model Rail would like to publicly thank Kernow MRC staff for handling the distribution of our exclusive models so competently. (CJL)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

22 hours ago, dibber25 said:

The 16XX is fitted with a Next-18 DCC decoder socket. The instructions simply warn against the use of old DC controllers which can produce excessive high voltages. (CJL)

Thanks. The motor is not coreless then, so should be fine with feedback controllers; good to know.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

And I also read in the latest Kernow newsletter, that they have opened a new warehouse in Camborne, from which mail order will now be processed.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1