Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

Very much looking forward to this model, which I plan to sound fit.

I was going to use a Wheeltappers 64xx sound file although I notice that they have a dedicated 16xx sound file in progress. Has anyone seen any details about when to expect this?

Edited by DRoe96
Missed Supplier name

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Thanks. The motor is not coreless then, so should be fine with feedback controllers; good to know.

That's still an assumption, not a fact, unless I've missed an explicit statement from the manufacturer somewhere in this thread.

2 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

Thanks. The motor is not coreless then, so should be fine with feedback controllers; good to know.

That is NOT what he said - though the specific question was asked.

It would seem that Dibber cannot, (or will not), be specific on that point.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

That is NOT what he said - though the specific question was asked.

It would seem that Dibber cannot, (or will not), be specific on that point.

John Isherwood.

I'm not going to give a SPECIFIC answer to something I PERSONALLY cannot be CERTAIN about. I have had the top off a 16XX but I'm embarrassed to admit that I would not know how to recognise what is or is not a coreless motor. Most motors in ready-to-run locos, these days, are a sealed metal cylinder (with flat sides). I'm old fashioned and used to counting the poles on an open-frame motor after marking one of them with a felt pen so I know where I started. What I can't do is ruin a model by breaking open the motor, so if the instructions don't say whether or not its coreless, I'm not going to personally stick my neck out. Especially here on RMweb where I need to remind everyone that I post on here as Chris Leigh and NOT as Model Rail magazine. In my previous post I quoted the instruction sheet (which I did not write this time, although I did write the instruction booklet for the J70). (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 minute ago, dibber25 said:

I'm not going to give a SPECIFIC answer to something I PERSONALLY cannot be CERTAIN about. I have had the top off a 16XX but I'm embarrassed to admit that I would not know how to recognise what is or is not a coreless motor. Most motors in ready-to-run locos, these days, are a sealed metal cylinder (with flat sides). I'm old fashioned and used to counting the poles on an open-frame motor after marking one of them with a felt pen so I know where I started. What I can't do is ruin a model by breaking open the motor, so if the instructions don't say whether or not its coreless, I'm not going to personally stick my neck out. Especially here on RMweb where I need to remind everyone that I post on here as Chris Leigh and NOT as Model Rail magazine. In my previous post I quoted the instruction sheet (which I did not write this time, although I did write the instruction booklet for the J70). (CJL)

Accepted Chris - but some of that qualification could usefully have been added to your response; Rhydgaled was clearly mislead by your post.

Surely someone at Model Rail knows whether the 1600 model has a conventional or a coreless motor? I can, to some extent, understand a reluctance to be specific - given that the latter type are mistrusted / disliked in some quarters.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Accepted Chris - but some of that qualification could usefully have been added to your response; Rhydgaled was clearly mislead by your post.

Surely someone at Model Rail knows whether the 1600 model has a conventional or a coreless motor? I can, to some extent, understand a reluctance to be specific - given that the latter type are mistrusted / disliked in some quarters.

John Isherwood.

The answer to that is, No. The person who commissioned the 16XX is no longer at Model Rail. The only person who will know is the designer in the USA and I will attempt to contact him for confirmation. I have had the body off a 16XX but the motor is completely concealed by the metal weight casting. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

There. Now I've had to interrupt a guy's pancakes and maple syrup to get an answer from the 'horses mouth'. !! Thanks, Bill. (CJL)

Your and Bill's input is much appreciated - I am sure that those amongst us who felt the need to know are grateful, and regret that it was necessary to interrupt your weekends; (which I am sure we did not intend should happen).

John Isherwood.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Which one have you ordered.:lol:

Err what makes you think I’ve ordered one... 

... wrong era... 

... funny tank arrangement... 

... defiantly the wrong railway company ... 

...who you think I am... 

:D

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

... wrong era... 

...who you think I am... 

What about loyalty to your new employer who are handling the payment and despatch.:lol:

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

46 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Your and Bill's input is much appreciated - I am sure that those amongst us who felt the need to know are grateful, and regret that it was necessary to interrupt your weekends; (which I am sure we did not intend should happen).

John Isherwood.

Don't worry about it. Doing your hobby for a job means that its pretty much 24/7. I've had an easy time, in some respects, having been pretty much locked down since last March. But there were no weekend exhibitions or trips to preserved railways so its 'swings and roundabouts'. I feel that I should be able to answer routine questions like this but I was not closely involved in the 16XX project so I can only work from the sample models I have here. Taking the 16xx apart doesn't reveal very much because there's a big metal casting over the mechanism. (CJL)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

... wrong era... 

...who you think I am... 

Yeah I didn't order one either........ I ordered 2 :D and can't wait to get my hands on them.

I'm sure Kernow will get them out to me as soon as possible, but there is no rush.

Owen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Don't worry about it. Doing your hobby for a job means that its pretty much 24/7. I've had an easy time, in some respects, having been pretty much locked down since last March. But there were no weekend exhibitions or trips to preserved railways so its 'swings and roundabouts'. I feel that I should be able to answer routine questions like this but I was not closely involved in the 16XX project so I can only work from the sample models I have here. Taking the 16xx apart doesn't reveal very much because there's a big metal casting over the mechanism. (CJL)

Many thanks Chris for giving us the information you have given us so far and for interrupting not only your weekend off from the day job but for taking Bill away from either his pancakes and maple syrup or an early visit to his own GW layout.  Thanks also to Bill for coming up quickly with the information - hope your pancakes didn't get cold.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Many thanks Chris for giving us the information you have given us so far and for interrupting not only your weekend off from the day job but for taking Bill away from either his pancakes and maple syrup or an early visit to his own GW layout.  Thanks also to Bill for coming up quickly with the information - hope your pancakes didn't get cold.

Well, Bill may or may not have been having pancakes and syrup but he was working today anyway as he did a 15 minute live presentation for Rapido at the virtual Springfield train show a couple of hours after posting.

As for layouts, Bill is busy with his new New York, Ontario & Western based layout that he started several months ago - for those interested track plans and some photos can be found at the end of this newsletter from October - https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-130---Big-Order-Deadlines-and-videos-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=77KX1Vg29IA

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mdvle said:

Well, Bill may or may not have been having pancakes and syrup but he was working today anyway as he did a 15 minute live presentation for Rapido at the virtual Springfield train show a couple of hours after posting.

As for layouts, Bill is busy with his new New York, Ontario & Western based layout that he started several months ago - for those interested track plans and some photos can be found at the end of this newsletter from October - https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-130---Big-Order-Deadlines-and-videos-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=77KX1Vg29IA

So he'd finished his pancakes, even better.  

And yes I was aware that Bill not only models a top notch British company but is also working on a layout of one of the more interesting of the US lines.  Two rather different examples  of milk train working would seem a strong possibility although Swindon wasn't into Camelbacks in the way as the NYO&W was at one time but both concerns used bogie vans for transporting milk churns ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

... wrong era... 

...who you think I am... 

You are either displaying an advanced form of jest or have possibly taken leave of your senses or are maybe expressing an opinion under duress, Graham, (is Spams there with you?) who could possibly deny that they don't feel a deep desire to own one of these?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have a quick question regarding the online ordering of the 16xx.

• Order successfully placed and money debited from account (electronic receipt received).
  • Then within hours money credited back to account (electronic receipt received stating deposit returned).

Is this the normal process for such ordering, being dealt with by a third party (i.e. Kernow) and is my order even still valid? I will contact them next week, but wondered if others had received similar activity.

Regards,

Andy.

6 minutes ago, Andy M said:

• Order successfully placed and money debited from account (electronic receipt received).
  • Then within hours money credited back to account (electronic receipt received stating deposit returned).

Is this the normal process for such ordering, being dealt with by a third party (i.e. Kernow) and is my order even still valid? I will contact them next week, but wondered if others had received similar activity.

Regards,

Andy.

It's quite normal Andy. Kernow have a system where they take payment for pre orders and then credit it back to your card. It happened to me several times. Kernow manage the Model Rail offers on line order system, which is in the same format as their own. Your card will be debited again when your order is being processed just before despatch.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy M said:

Regards,

Andy.

It's just the way Kernow's system validates your card. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the clarification.

I am an existing Kernow customer (registered on their system) but have never noticed such activity for pre-orders before.

Mind set at rest however, and awaiting the arrival of this model with great anticipation, having seen Rapido offerings in the past.

Regards,

Andy.

Edited by Andy M

On 30/01/2021 at 16:03, rapidobill said:

Man, and this was my day off too Chris..... :P

The 16xx uses a conventional skew wound 5-pole can motor with flywheel. A screen shot of the CAD file, less boiler and weight, is attached to illustrate.

Can I go back to playing with my own trains now? ;)

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

Thanks Bill, much appreciated - assuming I finally make up my mind on which version to buy (I am terrible at making decisions) before they are all sold out I can now rest easy knowing my controllers shouldn't wreck the motor.

Edited by Rhydgaled

I have been advised that the 16XXs have arrived at Kernow MRC. However, because they were delivered on a truck with no tail lift, the eight pallets had to be unpacked by hand and Kernow staff are now more than a little exhausted. Please, therefore, don't go asking about the progress of your order any time soon. Despatch will start once the team have had a chance to recover. In the meantime, fewer enquiries will ensure a faster recovery. (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

I have been advised that the 16XXs have arrived at Kernow MRC. However, because they were delivered on a truck with no tail lift, the eight pallets had to be unpacked by hand and Kernow staff are now more than a little exhausted. Please, therefore, don't go asking about the progress of your order any time soon. Despatch will start once the team have had a chance to recover. In the meantime, fewer enquiries will ensure a faster recovery. (CJL)

Haha.....I wouldn’t dare.....although I did just receive an email with the receipt for payment so somethings happening somewhere......tbh I’d forgotten I’d ordered one :lol: