Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

On 31/01/2021 at 18:43, dibber25 said:

It's just the way Kernow's system validates your card. (CJL)

Interesting. I placed an order last Friday which was acknowledged and processed. Just received an order to say 1649 has been dispatched and is on its way. I’m impressed!

Paul

Edited by McW
  • Like 2

What is quite exciting about this release is that it has barely broken cover online. We've often waited months from decorated and production samples before getting our hands on it. Aside from a couple of superb looking BR black samples, Model Rail have largely stuck with photos of the prototype. 

For once, most of us who have ordered one will be seeing it for the first time when the postman arrives.

• Like 1

I did some work on 1638 back in my volunteering days on the K&ESR so would like to purchase one. Though as a SE&CR / Southern (eastern section) man I couldn't bring myself to buy the preserved green version, probably one of the BR early models. I think 1638 probably works harder in preservation than she ever did on BR service!

• Like 3

I've never seen the GWR green 1638 model - one of my colleagues must have the livery sample. I did have the NCB green version for a while but that required some livery tweaks before production. It's worth noting that, with 22 versions to choose from, some numbers/variants are in VERY limited quantities, so if you are wanting a specific number/livery its worth getting your order in quickly. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

I'd quite like one in NCB livery, to go with my BR black example on order, but I can't possibly justify a GWR design of loco in industrial service, when there are still so many LNER types one could use.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Blancmange
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Here's some quick pics of 1638 in the preserved GWR livery for anyone else who can't wait.  Initially, the quality seems good, as does the weight.  We've been spoilt with Panniers in 2021 already after this and the 94xx.  We shall see how it runs later on after work!

Side LOW.JPG

Front Side LOW.JPG

Rear Quarter LOW.JPG

Internals LOW.JPG

Edited by Markn
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see much to like on that model but only one thing that is vexatious, which is the horizontal gap along the rear bunker. 

Clearly part of the manufacturing process and can almost certainly be rectified with some filler and a little care, but I wonder if the top of the bunker needs to be removed for some kind of DCC purpose?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I can see much to like on that model but only one thing that is vexatious, which is the horizontal gap along the rear bunker. 

Clearly part of the manufacturing process and can almost certainly be rectified with some filler and a little care, but I wonder if the top of the bunker needs to be removed for some kind of DCC purpose?

No, the (very detailed) instructions show the full top coming off in one. That join is a shame and keeps catching my eye already. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Markn said:

No, the (very detailed) instructions show the full top coming off in one. That join is a shame and keeps catching my eye already. 

That's interesting and thanks for the quick reply.

It won't put anyone off buying what is a lovely and much-wanted model, I am sure, but it will be dealt with on mine as part of the preparation for weathering process.

I'm actually a little more interested in how the back-to-backs measure out.

Having said that, I'm hoping to hear the postman's knock here any day now!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's interesting and thanks for the quick reply.

It won't put anyone off buying what is a lovely and much-wanted model, I am sure, but it will be dealt with on mine as part of the preparation for weathering process.

I'm actually a little more interested in how the back-to-backs measure out.

Having said that, I'm hoping to hear the postman's knock here any day now!

Mine are coming in at 14.48, 14.61 & 14.51.  A lot better than a how a certain 94xx arrived...

• Thanks 1

Wow! Just look at the bars over the rear cab windows! Compare those to the oddities on certain DJ models. The split line wouldn’t put me off, though. What does is that I took out a Google subscription to Model Rail to get the subscriber’s discount on all the tasty offerings which have been announced. I have been exchanging e-mails for months now and still can’t get a subscriber’s number (digital subscription, so no envelope). I think my subscription will be due for renewal before it’s sorted. I’ll try a different method next time!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

Wow! Just look at the bars over the rear cab windows! Compare those to the oddities on certain DJ models. The split line wouldn’t put me off, though. What does is that I took out a Google subscription to Model Rail to get the subscriber’s discount on all the tasty offerings which have been announced. I have been exchanging e-mails for months now and still can’t get a subscriber’s number (digital subscription, so no envelope). I think my subscription will be due for renewal before it’s sorted. I’ll try a different method next time!

I have the same issue, tried sorting it at least a year ago and then gave up.....

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I can see much to like on that model but only one thing that is vexatious,

Absolutely and they say a weeks a long time in politics. In three days we've gone from mouth watering [manor] to an eyesore.:huh:

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1