Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

17 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Has anyone put that seam under a microscope - the wealth of detail is amazing, it looks just like the trench on the Death Star :jester:

seam.jpg.d5502cb186032ab126f6432c51e100ff.jpg

Just missing a certain X-Wing and a trio of Tie Fighters :jester:

But early or late crest X-Wing & Tie Fighters? :D

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

P1260087.JPG

That's a clever move, Chris and thanks for the explanation regarding the need for the joint.

I think I'll still use filler on mine, giving me freedom to not put the fire irons there. Any slight difference in colour should disappear once I weather the loco.

Incidentally, I think I'm going to record a 'win' in my 'race' with Model Rail-Rapido on the subject of a 16XX. Having finished my whitemetal kit one back in September, I finally got the airbrush out this afternoon to weather it!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's a clever move, Chris and thanks for the explanation regarding the need for the joint.

I think I'll still use filler on mine, giving me freedom to not put the fire irons there. Any slight difference in colour should disappear once I weather the loco.

Incidentally, I think I'm going to record a 'win' in my 'race' with Model Rail-Rapido on the subject of a 16XX. Having finished my whitemetal kit one back in September, I finally got the airbrush out this afternoon to weather it!

A well placed pasty will hide the seam as well :jester:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

A well placed pasty will hide the seam as well :jester:

Or a sausage. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

50 minutes ago, Markn said:

The joys of working from home and a very tired baby, meant that I had a little bit of time this afternoon to have a play :D so if anyone's interested, then here's 1638 in GWR green doing its thing

A very nice layout indeed, thanks for the video. The bunker seam is really not that noticeable from normal viewing distance

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mid September last year these two EP’s made a flying visit to Shelfie2.

7AEEC420-4385-443B-80A8-F8C366D1281D.jpeg.813de4a413f73556f6370c8c05d84935.jpeg

It was literally a flying pass, en route between MR staffers, and I got to run them for two or three minutes using a Gaugemaster W handset with which the performance was excellent across CD 75 Peco streamline including their Bullhead track.

51AD49B2-02DB-47C7-81D2-A610E5A8ADAE.jpeg.89b4627a45e458c330667bb34911f3d8.jpeg

Again just to emphasise these were EP’s, close examination of the pics will show a missing handrail etc, and 1661 unweathered. The build quality seemed very good and significant weight vs size of loco, the NEM coupling was quite prominent, I didn’t check the TL size but one of the small loop types will probably offset the mount position. 
04331444-7F20-40D9-A321-11879E3A2AB5.jpeg.0e87d5c7db06761e2210056da5cbadbd.jpeg

Edited by PMP
Add pic
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thank you very much guys, glad you like it. No, after a while it fades into the model and I've forgotten about it now given how great it looks running around. Given how much of a good model this is, I think the seam is being overplayed a little tbh. Like you say, you can't see it from a normal running distance.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Markn said:

Thank you very much guys, glad you like it. No, after a while it fades into the model and I've forgotten about it now given how great it looks running around. Given how much of a good model this is, I think the seam is being overplayed a little tbh. Like you say, you can't see it from a normal running distance.

Unfortunately photography can be very cruel to models, but once you know that seam is there - it's going to bug you.

I think the grumbling it's making on the video will subside after some decent running in.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Sadly I can't quite join the party on this one yet.  No life out of my 1664. The spring plunger pickups seem reluctant to sit against the wheel rims.  Never mind. Hopefully its just a one off and Kernows can sort me out.

However I have been able to put it against Bachmanns 8750 pannier and Heljans 1366 pannier, and thought it might be useful to give them a compare.

Front

File_081.jpeg.ca484e5acc33d2c2c0306e7613566122.jpeg

Rear. (1664 is in the middle)

File_083.jpeg.b8453970a236ec4b915c6db810606256.jpeg

Top - Again 1664 is in the middle.  No prizes for guessing that 1367 is on the right!

File_085.jpeg.9bc7de17d328a7acd2b9d1216e59b090.jpeg

And on the layout

New-Out99999.jpg.6f6337d5d833e05a8084f014f64f2148.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Or a new tank altogether :)

757250640_IMG_20210205_081128541_HDR(1).jpg.ab913b97e8cec6ad7d2b4756a3952608.jpg

Is that a Model that you are building at your Leisure, Mikkel?

(although the box looks to be the wrong colour for them).

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I have a Nu-Cast pannier version that's been waiting to be built for over 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

No, it's an old Sutherland/Cotswold kit for a 2021ST. I bought it part-built some years ago. I will need to dismantle it and start over, and the kit has some oddities that I need to address.

My hope is that it can be built around the Model Rail 16xx chassis. I know the initial reaction might be "not likely", but I have been positively surprised before, and am prepared to put in some proper work. That said, it does of course depend on the key height and width dimensions of the Model Rail chassis. I don't fancy high-legged locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

I know this is down to Kernow and not Model Rail or Rapido but not impressed at the way the orders are being processed and dispatched.

A colleague ordered his GWR version on 22nd January 2021. He has been invoiced and received email his model has been dispatched.

I ordered mine in July 2020, was called to pay last week and am still waiting to receive a message my model has been dispatched.

I rang Kernow as my order online has no status only to be told they have hundreds to ship and to be patient. I would have hoped they would be dealing with them in date order but seems not if my colleague's experience is replicated.

As a long time subscrober (over 15 years) I would have hoped to have had better service!

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, GWRMember said:

I know this is down to Kernow and not Model Rail or Rapido but not impressed at the way the orders are being processed and dispatched.

A colleague ordered his GWR version on 22nd January 2021. He has been invoiced and received email his model has been dispatched.

I ordered mine in July 2020, was called to pay last week and am still waiting to receive a message my model has been dispatched.

I rang Kernow as my order online has no status only to be told they have hundreds to ship and to be patient. I would have hoped they would be dealing with them in date order but seems not if my colleague's experience is replicated.

As a long time subscrober (over 15 years) I would have hoped to have had better service!

Does it really matter? Another day or so before you can play with it?

Considering the state of the world at present, it's hardly earth-shattering, is it?

John Isherwood.

• Agree 8

24 minutes ago, GWRMember said:

I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service you have received. I would  respectfully ask all customers to please be patient. (I, too, have 16XXs on order and have been debited but not yet received them). We are in a pandemic, Kernow staff exhausted themselves unloading a truck on Monday and the models have only been in the warehouse for four days! There are different staff dealing with daily orders, and others dealing with back orders, hence the crossover where some customers receive theirs before others. I ask again, please be patient. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

59 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Does it really matter? Another day or so before you can play with it?

Considering the state of the world at present, it's hardly earth-shattering, is it?

John Isherwood.

The arrival of the model could of been one of very few things helping the gentlemen retain a level mental playing field, we all know how mental health is helped by our hobby.

Stupid that explanation might seem, but it’s all relative to the individual. There will always be someone with a bigger problem than you of course, but we/you shouldn’t belittle one man stress or stains because yours seem to be bigger, or because of some wider situation like C19.  

• Agree 1