Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

Has anyone got a black one AND one of the green 1638 variants? I'm starting to wonder if the black livery makes the tank weld seems look more obvious than the green and am wondering if somebody can confirm that.

2 hours ago, WishIHadAName said:

Just picked mine up on way to work. Only disappointment is copper capped chimney as it was black during it time at DVR 

672E2E53-108D-4B16-866C-E617B9222281.jpeg

First time I've seen the BR green one, looks rather nice but this illustrates that the descriptions are not enough to go on for choosing between the different variants. The colour of chimney caps and safety valve covers is not included in the descriptions, and is it me or is the BR crest on this one smaller (or positioned higher up) than on the 'vinegar castle' model? There seems to be more space to add lining around the crest on this one. Want I'm looking for is a minimal-effort path to getting 1638 as-presevered with brass/copper safety value and chimney cap but in inauthentic lined black (because I've wanted both a 16xx and a lined black pannier for ages and this kills 'two birds with one stone' by saving me buying an 8750 as well). Ultimately, I may chicken out of adding the lining but would be hugely helpful if there is space for it and I don't need to redo the BR crest. Apparently, there are also tooling differences between the variants beyond the spark-arrester chimneys:

On 04/02/2021 at 13:22, dibber25 said:

There's more die-cast than plastic in this model. The body is die-cast but the alternative detail parts have to be in plastic. (CJL)

If the top of the bunker is plastic presumably there are different styles of bunker. Which of the black ones are suitable for renumbering to 1638 as preserved (and please don't feel the need to rush to answer, I can be patient as long as the models don't sell out)?

5 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

The arrival of the model could of been one of very few things helping the gentlemen retain a level mental playing field, we all know how mental health is helped by our hobby.

Stupid that explanation might seem, but it’s all relative to the individual. There will always be someone with a bigger problem than you of course, but we/you shouldn’t belittle one man stress or stains because yours seem to be bigger, or because of some wider situation like C19.  

I rely on medication to 'retain a level mental playing field', and I also have a 16XX on order.

Casting aspersions at the hardworking Kernow staff may make him feel better, but it will do nothing for their 'mental playing field'.

It's all about patience, and keeping things in proportion.

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

Maybe a little more patient across the board, and some of if you don’t like something scroll on past is in order ? 
I do hate the “there’s XYZ going on” to counter a view or opinion we may not agree with. I’m almost tempted to say the kernos guys should be lucky to be bsuy, and have a job unlike millions - but that is both disrespectful, rude and uncalled for.

As a critical worker we all dealing with things in different ways, but we must all stick together and not back bite.

Edited by Courtybella

19 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

Maybe a little more patient across the board, and some of if you don’t like something scroll on past is in order ? 
I do hate the “there’s XYZ going on” to counter a view or opinion we may not agree with. I’m almost tempted to say the kernos guys should be lucky to be bsuy, and have a job unlike millions - but that is both disrespectful, rude and uncalled for.

As a critical worker we all dealing with things in different ways, but we must all stick together and not back bite.

If posters are allowed to berate hardworking shop staff, and no-one takes them to task for it or points out their unreasonable behaviour, they'll continue to do it in future.

Act unreasonably - expect to have it pointed out!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

The arrival of the model could of been one of very few things helping the gentlemen retain a level mental playing field, we all know how mental health is helped by our hobby

In an attempt to lighten the mood a little, I think that it was the wait for the Bachmann 94XX that was messing with a certain gentleman's mind over in South Wales! ;);)

I know, because even I got caught up in 'The Johnster Effect' :o:D

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a lovely lovely model and I had the chance to test mine this morning and compare it with the Bachmann 94XX. I have to say the 16XX ran incredibly smoothly from the start; many thanks to the team at Model Rail for commissioning this little wonder and to the guys at Rapido for bringing it to these shores. Rapido have certainly established, in my mind at least, a reputation of outstanding quality that will surely guarantee the success of the many(?) models they have plans to introduce. I can't wait to see the next one!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Having recently spoken to staff at Kernow on an unrelated matter, its fair to say they are busy but are trying their best. Be mindful that there are restrictions in the workplace which will no doubt compromise their normal working practices. 

In addition, let's not lose sight of the fact that the distribution  of the Model Rail Limited Editions are just one aspect their business. 

So before anyone cries foul, please pause and think of the bigger picture. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 9

1 hour ago, WishIHadAName said:

Some more photos of it on the layout. Overall really pleased with it, has plenty of weight and is running quieter after running in. Copper chimney still annoys me. The photo used of the real thing on the Kernow site even shows it in black. May paint it. 

61EF8A35-9EE5-4143-B136-CB34FABBCA8E.jpeg

B12EB033-77D7-49A7-8713-A8E2CE8FB897.jpeg

The real one is copper, sometimes painted black.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/1638-2/

That photo in Croes Newydd shed looks like a model.

Jason

The coppered chimney cap on 1638 will be because there is a photograph of it with copper cap and because, as it's a fictitious livery, it was decided that those who wanted GWR green would want the full GWR effect. It is very simple to paint it black - much easier than painting a black one 'copper'. I seem to recall a discussion of the subject a long time ago, when we first discussed if we should do the preserved livery at all. We decided to go with GWR and NCB so that we'd have two 'fictitious' green ones for those who wanted something other than the Henry Ford option.

As far as the separate bunker top is concerned, I'm told there are no detail variations in the bunker. Therefore I suspect the top of the bunker being separate is a tooling necessity because otherwise the undercut of the bunker would have made it impossible to extract the body from the mould. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, dibber25 said:

As far as the separate bunker top is concerned, I'm told there are no detail variations in the bunker. 

Other than the "GWR" one presumably not having a smokebox number plate and those having the Busby chimney are there any other detail variations amongst them?

Edited by Butler Henderson

I would just like to respond to say I did not cast dispertions on the work ethics or otherwise of the Kernow staff or Post Office. I apologise to all concerned if my comments have been misinterpreted.

My comment was about the process being used to dispatch preorders.

If there are two groups working at Kernow as advised by another poster, one on day to day orders and another on preorders i hope they keep track of the number in stock of each type so they do not sell out via day to day orders prior to fulfilling all preorders of any one type.

I have already bought the 1361 from Kernow and have the Steam Railmotor on order and yes, i did wait the 3 odd years for my 94xx including a Locomotion version so I am fully aware of the Pandemic situation affecting deliveries of new models.

I will dutifully await my email advising the version i have ordered has been dispatched while keeping my fingers crossed i am not unlucky falling off the end of any supply chain issues.

i fully support all workers and health staff trying to keep an element of normality for us in these trying times and that includes shop and warehouse staff of all retailers.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, GWRMember said:

I would just like to respond to say I did not cast dispertions on the work ethics or otherwise of the Kernow staff or Post Office. I apologise to all concerned if my comments have been misinterpreted.

My comment was about the process being used to dispatch preorders.

If there are two groups working at Kernow as advised by another poster, one on day to day orders and another on preorders i hope they keep track of the number in stock of each type so they do not sell out via day to day orders prior to fulfilling all preorders of any one type.

I have already bought the 1361 from Kernow and have the Steam Railmotor on order and yes, i did wait the 3 odd years for my 94xx including a Locomotion version so I am fully aware of the Pandemic situation affecting deliveries of new models.

I will dutifully await my email advising the version i have ordered has been dispatched while keeping my fingers crossed i am not unlucky falling off the end of any supply chain issues.

i fully support all workers and health staff trying to keep an element of normality for us in these trying times and that includes shop and warehouse staff of all retailers.

I am sure I got an email only yesterday (or this week at least) from Kernow saying the orders are being sent out in the order of customer orders.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This was in the Kernow newsletter this week

”The 16xx models, produced by Rapido exclusively for Model Rail, arrived this week! The team have been busy processing and sending orders, in strict date order, where payment details are available and current. Please bear with us and do not contact us for individual updates as this just slows down the process. We will contact you if necessary! Thank you for your patience and understanding.”

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

If it's of any use , I ordered mine in early June 2019 and haven't had a despatched email as yet.

Middle of June 2019....and received a receipt for my order last week, no despatch email, and not worried....it’ll,come.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

With the number of variations it could be they have opted in the interests of social distancing to work through the orders of version in the box they have opened.

I just quoted what was in the newsletter from this week.......

• Like 1

1638 in GWR livery has arrived with me today. I only ordered it on Monday, got the dispatch email on Tuesday and it arrived today. Slightly slower than usual from Cornwall but still very good service. I've never understood those who need to get the new release IMMEDIATELY. I felt it was a bit odd that Kernow had to ask people to stop calling to find out the status of their order more than once this week. Each to their own I guess.

I have elected for this livery as I have seen the loco in this condition, and in steam, possibly more than any other loco! I have never actively sought this engine out but it seems to have been active for most of my life! It is particularly special to me having had a footplate ride at K&ESR for my 21st Birthday. One of only 2 locos that I have had footplate rides on! The package arrived the day after my 30th Birthday.

I have taken photos of the real thing in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2013 and 2018. I think I may have first encountered it in the early 1990s at a Day out With Thomas - there was a pannier tank running that day and it was described as 'Duck's cousin'. I have seen it in Kent/Sussex, Norfolk and Cornwall. Hopefully one day I will be able to see it back in Devon!

The first thing I noticed is just how big the box is - I actually thought that I had been sent 2! It is exceedingly well packed. I remember a youtube video of the chaps at Rapido enjoying some extreme drop testing on one of their North American models, and I would imagine the 16xx would also survive such treatment. There is a pleasing weight to the loco it and it has run well straight out of the box.

I'm very happy with the shade of green, somewhere between Bachmann's dark GWR green and the matt, slightly anaemic Heljan interpretation. The front of the panniers are painted black, looking back through my photos of the real 1638, they have been green for some time, not to say this isn't correct for some point in its presrvation career though.

image.png.be93c72295637d43d4b02d70c6759ef7.pngimage.png.e2ed3633c65c79493db19ee800f02838.pngimage.png.b6d28e57f15584d8149df235b6870bd5.png

image.png

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

On 05/02/2021 at 07:17, Mikkel said:

Or a new tank altogether :)

757250640_IMG_20210205_081128541_HDR(1).jpg.ab913b97e8cec6ad7d2b4756a3952608.jpg

I was looking at the 2021s as a future kit build. As something to compliment the 16XX rather than instead of.

I notice that's one of the domeless versions. They don't half look strange in this condition with the pannier tanks.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt358.htm

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

This was in the Kernow newsletter this week

”The 16xx models, produced by Rapido exclusively for Model Rail, arrived this week! The team have been busy processing and sending orders, in strict date order, where payment details are available and current. Please bear with us and do not contact us for individual updates as this just slows down the process. We will contact you if necessary! Thank you for your patience and understanding.”

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I just quoted what was in the newsletter from this week.......

1 hour ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

1638 in GWR livery has arrived with me today. I only ordered it on Monday, got the dispatch email on Tuesday and it arrived today.

I give up then......flummoxed :huh:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1