Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 247 Developments said:

Just a quick reminder we have the Full set of 16xx plates in stock @ £5.50 a set plus postage

& at the moment we are posting out once a week

Gets my vote! Already on 1661 here.... no connection other than a happy customer 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 247 Developments said:

Just a quick reminder we have the Full set of 16xx plates in stock @ £5.50 a set plus postage

& at the moment we are posting out once a week

Does that price really include the smokebox numbers as your website appears to suggest? I ask because Fox's price for the shed code plates (£2.30) is similar to yours (£2.20) while the price difference for the numbers is quite large in comparison (Fox is £9.30). For those who (like me) are after shed code and number plates (including smokebox numbers) I think Railtec would be the cheapest option if they offered an equivalent product but they don't at present - I've sent them a PM asking if they are likely to introduce one in the near future.

Edited by Rhydgaled

6 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Does that price really include the smokebox numbers as your website appears to suggest? I ask because Fox's price for the shed code plates (£2.30) is similar to yours (£2.20) while the price difference for the numbers is quite large in comparison (Fox is £9.30). For those who (like me) are after shed code and number plates (including smokebox numbers) I think Railtec would be the cheapest option if they offered an equivalent product but they don't at present - I've sent them a PM asking if they are likely to introduce one in the near future.

I can vouch for the quality and value of the 247 Developments plates - and the cover the printed plates exactly. The set does include the smokebox numberplate.

I don't use etched smokebox numberplates or shed plates - they should have white lettering and I think that the printed plates, or transfer replacements, look more authentic.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I can vouch for the quality and value of the 247 Developments plates - and the cover the printed plates exactly. The set does include the smokebox numberplate.

I don't use etched smokebox numberplates or shed plates - they should have white lettering and I think that the printed plates, or transfer replacements, look more authentic.

John Isherwood.

Yes, the shed code and smokebox number should have white text - do the etched ones not have white text? The printed smokebox number on mine looks very authentic but since I am planning to renumber it at some point (I'm not in a huge rush to do so) I would need to use the supplied etched smokebox plates (or 3D transfers in Railtec's case).

• RMweb Gold

What you can do with etched plates to make them white on black is firstly  paint them white overall - preferably gloss.   Leave them with plenty of time for the paint to really harden.  Then fill in carefully with black and wipe off black which will inevitably have got onto the white lettering.  

Humbrol used to be ideal for the white but I don't know how good it is in its preseent form.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Yes, the shed code and smokebox number should have white text - do the etched ones not have white text?

The standard for etched smokebox numberplates and shedcodes is bright nickel silver.

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

yes they come with smoke box Numbers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/02/2021 at 20:12, MartinTrucks said:

My MR-301A 1609 in BR black arrived today - Great Joy!  I unboxed it and have admired it on the shelf all day while sitting at my desk. This evening I had the opportunity to give it a run but -Deep Sadness! - it is completely dead! The Hornby Peckett works perfectly on the same track.

I've removed the body thinking that the blanking plug might be loose but to no avail.  A phone call to Kernow will be made asap.   :sad_mini:

The postman delivered the replacement 1609 this afternoon (any delay down to me) and, although it still needs to be run in, it seems to be performing perfectly.  I am a happy bunny once again!  :)

One query I have though ........   Did all the (full-size) locos have red numberplates from new?

Thanks,

Martin

48 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

The postman delivered the replacement 1609 this afternoon (any delay down to me) and, although it still needs to be run in, it seems to be performing perfectly.  I am a happy bunny once again!  :)

One query I have though ........   Did all the (full-size) locos have red numberplates from new?

Thanks,

Martin

No. A few of them had red numberplates but not many. Swindon didn't like red plates. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The standard for etched smokebox numberplates and shedcodes is bright nickel silver.

John Isherwood.

Railtec aside from doing complete 3D transfers that include "brass" cabside numberplates are now offering the smokebox number plates on their own correctly finished.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Painting the shed plates was one of the few painting jobs shed staff were allowed to do under the BR/Union demarcation agreements. Seems odd now, a whole lifetime away. 

Where did you get that one from?   Shed staff on the Western painted a lot more than shed plates -if they had any paint that is although they obviously didn't do lining because they didn't have that skill.  And what sort of demarcation - many of the shed fitting staff were usually in the same union as the main works staff.

• RMweb Gold

Well, the conversion is done. So it is possible for the 'average modeller' to do it. A fair bit of tidying up and putting stuff back on where it belongs! Screw couplings will be fitted.

When time permits I'll put up a resumé of how it was done and what order to do things and what NOT to do(!).

A rather shaky one-handed phone video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVOeL8Mr0xQ

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a short one-handed jerky phone video of a test run on Marsh. I was relieved to find that it ran well through all the pointwork.

The track was dirty after a winter of damp in the shed so slower running should be possible after a good spring clean! All in all, I'm pleased that it has retained the wonderful smooth running of the unconverted original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asm-1xp1xEI

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Here's a short one-handed jerky phone video of a test run on Marsh. I was relieved to find that it ran well through all the pointwork.

The track was dirty after a winter of damp in the shed so slower running should be possible after a good spring clean! All in all, I'm pleased that it has retained the wonderful smooth running of the unconverted original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asm-1xp1xEI

Is that a “crunchy track” or the gears making that noise?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the baseboards are rather noisy. When running onto the short run-off made of different materials, there was no noise at all! 

Also the controller used was an AMR which does tend to make motors a trifle noisy whereas when tried with a Gaugemaster it was much quieter.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2021 at 19:09, dibber25 said:

No. A few of them had red numberplates but not many. Swindon didn't like red plates. 

Caerphilly speciality wasn’t it? 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/02/2021 at 17:53, dibber25 said:

The problem with going direct to Rapido is that Model Rail is the commissioner of this product. Rapido UK was not involved at all. We at Model Rail need to know if there are faulty models, and to keep track of how many, and what the faults are. There may be significant cost implications for Model Rail and we also need to be able to assess the extent of the problem. There is no address for technical problems because the models are commissioned and progressed by the editorial team. At the present time, we are 'out of the loop' with regard to the particular problem with your model and when we are discussing future products that's not a good position to be in. I appreciate that Rapido staff are very approachable but this is a Model Rail product, made for us by Rapido, and it was bought from Model Rail. We may well need to seek technical advice from Rapido but we have channels for doing that. If a model is defective, it should be returned to Kernow MRC for replacement. (CJL)

It looks like I'm having the same problems with this model as others. On DC it runs poorly at slow speeds (as though the gear are grinding) but better in reverse. On DCC when fitted with a Zimo sound decoder it keeps stopping and then re-starting. I returned the first model to Kernow and they swiftly replaced it but the new one seems to do the same thing. Kernow has raised this with Model Rail and I have e-mailed them direct but to date with no response. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Caerphilly speciality wasn’t it? 

The main culprit for painting the backing of Western numberplates red was - wait for it - Derby.  Yes some panniers were actually shopped there and all photos of them ex-works show them with red backed numberplates (although none were 16XX of course)

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, ColinG121 said:

It looks like I'm having the same problems with this model as others. On DC it runs poorly at slow speeds (as though the gear are grinding) but better in reverse. On DCC when fitted with a Zimo sound decoder it keeps stopping and then re-starting. I returned the first model to Kernow and they swiftly replaced it but the new one seems to do the same thing. Kernow has raised this with Model Rail and I have e-mailed them direct but to date with no response. 

I received your e-mail an hour ago and have forwarded it to Rapido UK for attention. (CJL)