Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to get the Firebox light to flicker on DCC with their 16xx? I have fitted mine with a Dapol Imperium Decoder but can't narrow down the CV to make this happen. The instructions on the Dapol website regarding Decoder Functions/CVs are not clear to me.

Regards Connor

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Perhaps they haven't been sent a review sample.

Presumably this is how these reviews work, if the magazine had to purchase their review models, then they'd have to have a budget for that?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

But thinking about it, wouldn't Model Rail want to receive good reviews in other magazines for their loco?

Am I mistaken, but haven't some (or all) of the previous MR commissions been reviewed in other magazines? Perhaps it's just a matter of time.

• Like 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Presumably this is how these reviews work, if the magazine had to purchase their review models, then they'd have to have a budget for that?

It's very rare a mag will review a model they haven't been sent. The budget to buy every model as it appeared would be massive!

Occasionally, someone on the team will buy a model for themselves, but that means it hits the newsstand 2 months after arriving in the shops. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's very rare a mag will review a model they haven't been sent. The budget to buy every model as it appeared would be massive!

Occasionally, someone on the team will buy a model for themselves, but that means it hits the newsstand 2 months after arriving in the shops. 

Thanks Phil, as I suspected.

One might still reasonably assume, however, that reviews in other magazines might offer increased sales for MR, especially amongst non-MR readers, who may not have been aware of the model's existence?

• Agree 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks Phil, as I suspected.

One might still reasonably assume, however, that reviews in other magazines might offer increased sales for MR, especially amongst non-MR readers, who may not have been aware of the model's existence?

That's why manufacturers send models for review. It's cheap advertising. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The current Model Rail does confirm the differences in the models or rather the general lack of differences as aside from the Busby chimney there does not appear to be any tooling change while those numbered 1638 and 1655 have copper capped chimneys and brass safety valve bonnets; all others being black.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2021 at 15:47, Captain Kernow said:

It varies, and has varied,  For instance when Hornby stopped sending the mags models for review some of the publishers obtained models by either purchase or (I believe) loan from a retailer to enable them to carry out a review.  I understand that following various complaints from the magazine trade Hornby subsequently changed their policy on sen ding models for review and decided that they could afford to do it after all.   And as Phil has already said it is also cheap advertising and promotion of a model.

A problem might perhaps arise when a really objective review is critical of a new model and that can perhaps lead a manufacturer to take a different approach (and don't forget that manufacturers do place adds - usually whole page - in the magazines).

• Like 3

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It varies, and has varied,  For instance when Hornby stopped sending the mags models for review some of the publishers obtained models by either purchase or (I believe) loan from a retailer to enable them to carry out a review.  I understand that following various complaints from the magazine trade Hornby subsequently changed their policy on sen ding models for review and decided that they could afford to do it after all.   And as Phil has already said it is also cheap advertising and promotion of a model.

A problem might perhaps arise when a really objective review is critical of a new model and that can perhaps lead a manufacturer to take a different approach (and don't forget that manufacturers do place adds - usually whole page - in the magazines).

I've never known this to be a problem, and I recall @dibber25 saying the same. A manufacturer might grumble privately, but the value of the cheap publicity* outweighs the negative comments.  But then I'm sure plenty will pile in and tell me I (and Chris) are lying and we are all corrupt. Manufacturers are quite small advertisers. Retailers take far more space - although some of those now have a foot in both camps but it changes nothing.

*and it is really, really cheap to supply a model as opposed to paying for advertising space. It also shows you support the retail trade because reviews make people aware of a model** and they go and buy it, not everyone spends all day on RMweb to find this stuff out. Bachmann fly the first batch over, put them through QC at Barwell and if they pass, send them to the mags. That way the reviews hit the shelves at the same time as the products, which have travelled by boat. Hornby's previous management dropping review samples told you a lot about them. Any marketing person will tell you there are standard calculations to do based on how much page/screen space/time you get vs the cost of the promotion, if the result brings in a better ROI than the cost of the campaign then it's a win. Any model railway item will meet those easily. Generally, models stay with the mag and we'll use them as material for projects, increasing their visibility and ROI. Sometimes they are returned, so the manufacturer is only paying out for some postage making it really cheap publicity. Quite what you do with a model that @AY Mod has prised apart with a blunt chisel and then posted back is a mystery of course.

** Yes I know YOU have never bought a model because of a review, AND you've never bought anything in your life because of advertising either etc. etc..

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Quite what you do with a model that @AY Mod has prised apart with a blunt chisel and then posted back is a mystery of course.

Not my fault they didn't give instructions and a diagram. :biggrin_mini2:

But, yes, there are two manufacturers who don't like me reviewing their products and neither of those were victims of the bolster chisel. Not my fault they sent me duffers and/or didn't tell me of the special features that weren't in the spec, ads or any other publicity info. I might have noticed if I hadn't been so busy trying to stuff all the mechanisms back together after following their instructions on how to open it up to fit a decoder. Should have stuck to the chisel. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not my fault they didn't give instructions and a diagram. :biggrin_mini2:

But, yes, there are two manufacturers who don't like me reviewing their products and neither of those were victims of the bolster chisel. Not my fault they sent me duffers and/or didn't tell me of the special features that weren't in the spec, ads or any other publicity info. I might have noticed if I hadn't been so busy trying to stuff all the mechanisms back together after following their instructions on how to open it up to fit a decoder. Should have stuck to the chisel. 

It's a pity you didn't video these attempts, you could have your own Youtube channel - Andy's Twains

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

I recall, once - back in the days of Model Railway Constructor - the Editor advised a newbie manufacturer that his product really wasn't good enough to get a favourable review. The model never came to market. That's the only time in my career of over 50 years. I recall, right back in 1963 that my boss at the time received an 'ear-bending' from Col. Beattie because something critical had been said in a review of, (IIRC) the Beatties catalogue! The conversation ended with the phone being slammed down so hard that the receiver broke! When I became an Editor I vowed that I would not review a kit unless I had built it. I saw too many 'reviews' where I recognised the manufacturer's blurb and photograph. I had my ear bent on occasions by all the manufacturers because I wrote something they didn't like. But it pales into insignificance compared to the relentless campaign waged by one reader at the time that the the late, great Merl Evans used to send pre-production models for review. He wanted reviews to coincide with the arrival of the model in shops and that was the easiest way to do it. Said reader, however, was convinced that Merl supplied specially prepared samples which were way better than what was going to be sold in shops. In fact, nothing was further from the truth. The sample had usually been to other reviewers before it reached me and it was usually a bit knocked about and in need of TLC before it could even be photographed! 

I've always believed that unbiased, professionally produced magazine reviews were a cornerstone of the hobby. What I've said here is a purely personal comment but I think there are potential conflicts if magazines were to review each other's products and for the avoidance of embarrassment all round I think it is best not done. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
Typos
  • Like 11

• Moderators
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

your own Youtube channel - Andy's Twains

I'm going for 'Andy Strains' with accompanying sound effects.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/01/2021 at 12:28, dibber25 said:

The 16XX is fitted with a Next-18 DCC decoder socket. The instructions simply warn against the use of old DC controllers which can produce excessive high voltages. (CJL)

Sorry to bother everyone again, but having now read said instructions (naughty me playing trains before reading the instructions) I am a little confused - it does say "some older controllers" put out a high voltage but prior to that it says "If you are new to the hobby" and "have a DC-powered train set, please contact us before operating" (bold added by me in both cases). I'm not new to the hobby, but my controllers are all Hornby ones - mostly from DC-powered train sets (the exception being my HM2000). Should I contact somebody and if so should that be Model Rail or Rapido? Hopefully since I've only used one of my controllers with my 16xx so far, and mostly only at low speed, I've not done any damage to it (yet).

Edited by Rhydgaled
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Sorry to bother everyone again, but having now read said instructions (naughty me playing trains before reading the instructions) I am a little confused - it does say "some older controllers" put out a high voltage but prior to that it says "If you are new to the hobby" and "have a DC-powered train set, please contact us before operating" (bold added by me in both cases). I'm not new to the hobby, but my controllers are all Hornby ones - mostly from DC-powered train sets (the exception being my HM2000). Should I contact somebody and if so should that me Model Rail or Rapido? Hopefully since I've only used one of my controllers with my 16xx so far, and mostly only at low speed, I've not done any damage to it (yet).

Rapido UK is dealing with all technical matters relating to the model.

Got my one today as a Birthday Present from my other half. Since she couldn’t give it to me in person (Woo lockdown birthday 2.0)

Of course one of the Scottish region ones. Tempted to get sound for it to. 

Chris 

08D155C0-CE22-41DD-9DB6-1F2E95300DAC.jpeg

EE564294-5AF8-43D0-A5D5-DC9BDC18C4DD.jpeg

562767C1-FF16-457E-A665-B1734E7CCD14.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2021 at 13:07, treggyman said:

IMG_4422.resized.JPG.86fcc9f780a668967f91c38399782bd8.JPG

Hi 60149

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with a feedback issue.....But obviously not.....

My problems are identical to yours with both the original & replacement having the same issues......See my post above.....With the advice given from Model Rail that if the second loco didn't work properly then that is how it is....Which ain't good for an expensive loco......

I too have replaced the couplings with a wire loop at the front & my own design auto coupling hook on the back......See photo's attached....

The coal load has been removed (with a bit of force it just pops out ) & a plasticard  replacement base glued in place roughly painted black awaiting real coal to be applied.....

IMG_4421.resized.JPG.f90e1a5272ca7dd01d9273d4d34b1d7f.JPG

IMG_4422.resized.JPG.86fcc9f780a668967f91c38399782bd8.JPGHow are you going to manage at exhibitions? I have a similar problem in that I use feed back for my layout at both home & exhibitions......

Cheers Bill

Hello Bill. Your auto-coupling looks quite neat; nice work indeed. Do you have any more description on how you've produced that?

Cheers,

Ian. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hello Bill. Your auto-coupling looks quite neat; nice work indeed. Do you have any more description on how you've produced that?

Cheers,

Ian. 

Hi Ian

Just in case anyone else is interested I'll post the details I PM'd Ben Alder......

There is a basic description on Page 19 of my Penhallick Junction thread....

It's about half way down the page dated June 13 2014.

I also sent this picture as I have amended the design slightly.....

IMG_4427.JPG.6e5cd494204d0b0bd23d7fcddbf419b2.JPGThe main difference is that I now make the hook in two pieces as the wire I use (0.45mm nickel silver from Albion alloys )& solder them together as the wire tends to snap if bent back on itself.The vertical extension rests against the underside of the wagon & can be trimmed to length as required.

Also I now use 0.7ID brass tube 0.9od as the pivot & fine grade (30g )florist wire for the dropper as it is easily bent .

I hope the above plus the description on my Penhallick junction thread  answers your question....

Sorry to hijack the thread but any further detailed questions you may have please PM me......

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 24/03/2021 at 19:54, treggyman said:

Hi Ian

Just in case anyone else is interested I'll post the details I PM'd Ben Alder......

There is a basic description on Page 19 of my Penhallick Junction thread....

It's about half way down the page dated June 13 2014.

I also sent this picture as I have amended the design slightly.....

IMG_4427.JPG.6e5cd494204d0b0bd23d7fcddbf419b2.JPGThe main difference is that I now make the hook in two pieces as the wire I use (0.45mm nickel silver from Albion alloys )& solder them together as the wire tends to snap if bent back on itself.The vertical extension rests against the underside of the wagon & can be trimmed to length as required.

Also I now use 0.7ID brass tube 0.9od as the pivot & fine grade (30g )florist wire for the dropper as it is easily bent .

I hope the above plus the description on my Penhallick junction thread  answers your question....

Sorry to hijack the thread but any further detailed questions you may have please PM me......

Cheers Bill

Hi

For anybody interested I have now started a thread on these couplings in Model musings & miscellany....

Cheers Bill

Cheers Bill

• Like 2