Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

In two minds about whether to shell out for one of these, or a 94xx, for my lad's birthday - not for a few months but the Bachmann offering is certainly going to be gone by then. Having read the two threads and watched some videos I'm completely flummoxed as they both seem to have challenges! The potential recipient is building his first wagon kits and I want him to have something to shuffle them around with, so mechanical reliability and decent slow-speed control is my priority. I thought this was going to be easy - perhaps those with both models can offer comparative considerations!

Assuming 16xx stocks hold up, I am contemplating a premise that 1646/49 was preserved in some fashion and continued to be seen on the FNL into the 70s, for my own purposes... <evil laugh!>

• Like 1

I'll freely admit to not being 'independent' but I'd have to say there's very little to put between them in terms of reliable slow running and haulage capacity and I've tested both. It's really down to whether you want a lightweight branch line prototype or a main line heavyweight. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For what it's worth, I have experience of both and it's a close call in terms of slow running. My example of each run pretty well for a straight-out-of-the-box model, but the Bachmann 94XX had to be returned, so I'm effectively on my second one of those, whereas the 16XX ran really rather sweetly first time.

The 94XX I have now runs very nicely as well.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Afternoon everyone.

We have received a few comments regards the operation of the 16xx on some DCC systems. As a result, got Mohan George, the DCC and electronics guru in our Toronto office, on the case.

Mohan tracked down the source of the problem: a rogue voltage suppressor. These are designed to protect delicate electrical components from unwanted voltage spikes. We'd specified 27V but, unfortunately, the circuit board supplier fitted one limited to 18V, which is prime output voltage for some DCC systems!

612728136_16xxEDIT.jpg.b0d849fc567112fdde16509ec61e9231.jpg

So, what are we doing about it? Well, if you’re electrically handy, you can simply remove the suppressor.

Otherwise, you'll just have to hold tight for the replacement circuit boards that we're having made to arrive. You can order one by clicking here:

16xx DCC Fix – Rapido Trains UK

As soon as they land in the UK, we'll send it to you free of charge for fitting at home.

If you’re in any doubt about fitting a new circuit board or modifying the electrical components, don’t worry. Drop us a line and we'll see what we can do to help.

The boards are on their way to me now so hopefully we should be able to send these out in a couple of weeks time.

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 8

20 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Afternoon everyone.

We have received a few comments regards the operation of the 16xx on some DCC systems. As a result, got Mohan George, the DCC and electronics guru in our Toronto office, on the case.

Mohan tracked down the source of the problem: a rogue voltage suppressor. These are designed to protect delicate electrical components from unwanted voltage spikes. We'd specified 27V but, unfortunately, the circuit board supplier fitted one limited to 18V, which is prime output voltage for some DCC systems!

So, what are we doing about it? Well, if you’re electrically handy, you can simply remove the suppressor.

Otherwise, you'll just have to hold tight for the replacement circuit boards that we're having made to arrive. You can order one by clicking here:

As soon as they land in the UK, we'll send it to you free of charge for fitting at home.

If you’re in any doubt about fitting a new circuit board or modifying the electrical components, don’t worry. Drop us a line and we'll see what we can do to help.

The boards are on their way to me now so hopefully we should be able to send these out in a couple of weeks time.

Many thanks

Andy

Would this explain the buzzing from the motor I seem to be getting with a LokSound v5 fitted?

5 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Afternoon everyone.

Many thanks

Andy

Very proactive; good customer service.

For those of us who use DC, is this something that we can ignore, or is it still best to remove the suppressor?

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

My GWR liveried version arrived today. The boxing and presentation are one of the best I've seen. Put it on the rolling road for 5 minutes and then on my 1 metre test track. My youngest lad came in and said " that's smooth running ". He was right. Probably the best straight out the box loco I've had in a long while. 

Bodes well for the Thunderbolt set.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just finished rectifying this for a client..

1608_05.jpg.10f3052549913cf68c1d0b947a0f81e8.jpg

1608_06.jpg.e24993efcf4c8fe444666cb9efe22fce.jpg

1608_13.jpg.d90e164336a05f01dbc5bc88eab69035.jpg

Lovely looking loco, however what on earth did the factory use to glue parts on - Prit Stick perhaps?

You only had to look at it a bits fell off :banghead:

The dreaded bunker trench was easily sorted with clamps, super glue and Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic putty.

The main cause - the plastic coal load is oversize on the dimension between the back of the cab and the back face of the bunker. 

So the coal load had been forced in place at the factory and then en-route to Blighty the seam failed and the poorer new owners had to deal with it themselves, the advice from the loco's commissioners 'Hide it with the fire irons' :read:

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

I decided to treat myself to a McPannier as I collect Scottish region models. My first impressions are very good, its a lovely model. I have not given it a run yet but from what I have seen & read its a cracking little runner. The discount code for Hardy hobbies was a nice touch for a crew which I have ordered to complete the model. Its going to get a light weathering & real coal to finish along with screw couplings. 

With my Dornoch station building & a a selection of other buildings i can see a new layout on the horizon.

Lovely model, more scottish prototypes please 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

That’s lovely! Would you mind if we feature it online sometime?

Thanks

Andy

Help yourself Andy and there are others on my layout thread too.;)

• 4 weeks later...

I took delivery of one 2 weeks ago, only to find that it was electrically dead (so much for Rapido's assertion in the manual that all are factory tested). The retailer suggested I return it and let them fit a decoder to ensure correct running - for which I was expected to pay £9.99. The smokebox number is not on straight and, since return, I have had to refit the plastic pipes under the running board, disassemble, re-glue and refit the brake gear, to stop it binding on a rear wheel, and am of the opinion that the best part of the whole thing is the box. No more Rapido for me.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Hellcat said:

I took delivery of one 2 weeks ago, only to find that it was electrically dead (so much for Rapido's assertion in the manual that all are factory tested).

In fairness to any of the manufacturers after leaving the factory models go through an awful lot of abuse - depending on the time of year they can either bake or freeze in the container (bot at sea and on land), get bounced around in the container, and then of course there is the handling by a local delivery service.

Sometimes things will happen despite any testing at the factory.

• Agree 2

Hi

Although I agree that the trip from China to England & thence to the purchaser is a long one I would agree with Hellcat that the box is the best bit .It is well made & would seem to be capable of withstanding most knocks/temperature variations etc that it might encounter in it's travels.

As Hellcat says.....The smokebox number was not straight.....Hardly likely to occur in transit...Fall off maybe.....But unlikely to be not straight.

Refitting of pipes & brakegear that was one assumes fitted correctly when first arriving at Hellcat's abode is not a problem of shipping from China as it was OK when returned to be checked....

The fact that it was electrically dead is I suppose possible a transport issue but in my opinion unlikely.......

I have previously in this thread explained my problems with the loco.....

Looks great ....Runs C***  on Feedback & not brilliantly on ordinary DC(Analogue) & although I had the first one replaced  both were the same......Looked great but ran nowhere near where the should have done even when hardwiring the power to the motor direct....In my opinion the motor is the main problem.......

I PM'd rapidoandy several weeks ago as suggested & have still to receive a reply......

I concur with Hellcat......No more Rapido for me......

Cheers Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, mdvle said:

In fairness to any of the manufacturers after leaving the factory models go through an awful lot of abuse - depending on the time of year they can either bake or freeze in the container (bot at sea and on land), get bounced around in the container, and then of course there is the handling by a local delivery service.

Sometimes things will happen despite any testing at the factory.

The same applies to other makers, the majority of whom manufacture in China, but I have never had such a poor product from Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby or Replica. I accept that others experience may be different. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, treggyman said:

I PM'd rapidoandy several weeks ago as suggested & have still to receive a reply......

I concur with Hellcat......No more Rapido for me......

Cheers Bill

I also messaged Rapido and received a reply very soon afterwards. They say there are bound to be some 'duff' products in a run of 5,000 and... nothing! No apology, no offer to exchange it, just that it's my bad luck!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3