Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

• RMweb Gold

Irwell Press believe that it was done to confound the model railway enthusiasts of the future.

Or buy several to get one that meets your requirements. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

An observation after reading The Pannier Papers No.5 on the 16xx.

Spare lamp irons.

1600-1619 two in the forward position with some getting a third added later.

1620-1649  three in the rear position.

1650-1669  three in the forward position.

Why did the position go from front to rear and back again ?

Why three? I thought most locos only had two spare irons.

Would one of these be appropriate for a riverside wharf layout?

Sorry, just found this thread. They are definitely appropriate for a wharf layout, even in the middle of the country. Worcester had several examples and they would have been used on the truncated Butts branch down to the Severn waterfront up to its closure in 1957. They were also used profusely on the Vinegar branch which had a canal interchange too - see map at this link: http://www.miac.org.uk/vinegarmap.html 

They were also definitely used around Gloucester docks, although the only online photos at the location I found in a cursory search were of one of the spark arrester fitted locos. Gloucester and Lydney had quite a few 16xxs for working the Forest of Dean lines.

• Like 2

I know nostalgia's not what it used to be, but this is great news for me. As a kid my bedroom window overlooked Lydney Town station and the sidings, and I spent an inordinate amount of time watching 1616, 1627 and 1642 running up and down to the Forest of Dean when I should have been doing my school homework. My Grandfather worked at Lydney Docks, loading FoD coal onto lighters, and these engines used to run alongside the access road on one side of the dock, and along the embankment to the coal tips, as far as the dock gates on the other. I had my first ride on the footplate of one of them at the age of three. My lorry-driver Father had the dubious distinction of having his artic trailer almost cut in half by one when negotiating a fog-bound road at Gloucester docks! Can't wait to see the model! :yahoo:

Edited by Hellcat
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was told today at Warley that they will be taking orders for these in the Spring. This is after the J50 of theirs has been delivered to customers. In the meantime there was a CAD to be seen.

post-126-0-13122000-1543170253_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Abercynon shed had a couple of 16xx. I need to check, but one was diagrammed to work at Treforest Estate, and Treforest tinplate works, Try as I might, I can't find evidence of what locomotives worked there before the arrival of the 16xx

Cheers,

Ian.

A quick plea whilst it’s still just drawings...

Please make it possible to produce a 2021...

(With belpaire boiler and pannier tanks.)

Same wheels, boiler and wheelbase.

50 years’ extra service life.

More than one livery.

Open or closed cabs.

Some auto-fitted locomotives, a couple even in BR days.

Lovely Birkenhead Docks locos with bells.

Industrial service too...

What’s not to like?

There were more of them than the 16xx, even in BR days!

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Abercynon shed had a couple of 16xx. I need to check, but one was diagrammed to work at Treforest Estate, and Treforest tinplate works, Try as I might, I can't find evidence of what locomotives worked there before the arrival of the 16xx

Cheers,

Ian.

As you probably know a Treforest Estate turn was originally Coke Ovens Turn X10, later at Abercynon with the same number.  The only photo I can find of this turn is with a 16XX so alas no help to your quest.

More than one livery.

Open or closed cabs.

What’s not to like?

Thanks,

Paul

Adaptable tools are very much more complex and therefore much more expensive to produce. They also tend to involve more compromises. (CJL)

More than one livery.

Open or closed cabs.

What’s not to like?

Thanks,

Paul

Agree, and also make it easily EM-able

More than one livery.

Open or closed cabs.

What’s not to like?

Thanks,

Paul

No....please make it a 2021 in the first place....

• Like 1

The choice of 16xx was made as a result of surveys/wishlists etc. It is now in the planning stage and the opportunity for alternatives is long past. (CJL)

Ah, the same people who want non-corridor GWR coaches, even though their were only penny packets of most diagrams?

Thanks, and again, a real pity. Incidentally, Bill of Rapido said that it wasn’t too late to change to a 2021, but there you are. I have a 1600 already, scratchbuilt from brass sheet when I was at school. Sadly, I don’t think I could build something nearly as good now!

Paul

Completely different loco.

Except for boiler, wheels and wheelbase...

Completely different loco.

Except for boiler, wheels and wheelbase...

The choice of 16xx was made as a result of surveys/wishlists etc. It is now in the planning stage and the opportunity for alternatives is long past. (CJL)

I am personally delighted with this choice, as it was a stalwart of the Forest of Dean, and also has (Far North) Scottish possibilities too.

Planning stage means this time next year, possibly eh Chris?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well, bring it on. Funnily enough, I'm not enthused about the 15 & 94xx panniers. Don't ask me why, I just don't know. It must be me. That said, I've got 2 Limbach 94xx here, and they work very well indeed.

Yes please, looking very much forward to this. Mucho playtime!

Wheeeeee!

Ian.

Oh, did I forget to add? Put me down for one, please. BR black, early or late, it doesn't matter. 1620 number plates, Why people think I'm a lazy so-& so, I don't know why......

• RMweb Gold

Well, bring it on. Funnily enough, I'm not enthused about the 15 & 94xx panniers. Don't ask me why, I just don't know. It must be me. That said, I've got 2 Limbach 94xx here, and they work very well indeed.

Yes please, looking very much forward to this. Mucho playtime!

Wheeeeee!

Ian.

Oh, did I forget to add? Put me down for one, please. BR black, early or late, it doesn't matter. 1620 number plates, Why people think I'm a lazy so-& so, I don't know why......

I'm surprised at you Ian - what with a recently published book including a colour picture (honest) of 1509 at Newport (High St) in August 1958.

They said that about Brexit and now all talk is of a second referendum, I didn't vote for 16xx and I like the idea of 2021 - we need a modeller's vote  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised at you Ian - what with a recently published book including a colour picture (honest) of 1509 at Newport (High St) in August 1958.

Aah! Not my work Mike:- Honest!

As I'm typing this, I've just found a photo of 1655 on the down relief at Pontypridd goods yard. even more reason to add one or two....

Googling the 'Coflein' pages takes you onto places like Treforest Estate. One image shows a pannier at work at Willowford. You can see the steam, and you can see the loco & train. Unfortunately, although you can make out a pannier, it doesn't show 'what type' of pannier; shame. The drop down from Maesmawr was lightly laid, on mostly ash from Upper Boat Power station. I wouldn't guess it's a red route!

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1