Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I give up then......flummoxed :huh:

Somewhere upthread Dibber25 points out that there are separate teams dealing with pre-orders versus new orders, so it is quite conceivable that somebody ordering the loco now (hence having up to date payment details for example)  will get their toy train before somebody who ordered it 18 months ago, but is sat in the 'stack' of  pre orders that are having to  have payment details / address etc. checked manually.

That's my understanding anyway.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

Done a rummage through these pages, but can't seem to find any images of the weathered versions. Can someone point me in the right direction  for this please.

It seems only a couple of versions of 1638 in preserved liveries have appeared so far. The BR black versions that I have seen have been samples, so hopefully these will break cover in the week! Brilliant to see a fantastic Scottish modeller finding a reason to get involved in a GWR thread!

• Informative/Useful 1

With no easy access to our photographic studio during the lock-down, and an editorial team literally scattered the length of England I understand that samples of all the 22 versions - including the weathered ones - have gone to our editor for photography. Out of respect for the fact that RMweb is a rival publication I will not be posting any photographs or links on here and it may be some time before any pictures are posted on-line. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

51 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Does anyone know of a supplier offering DCC authentic sound files for a 1600?

There seem to be several generic "GWR Pannier" sound available, but I'd prefer it to accurate.

Luke

Wheeltappers seemed to have one "in progress" no idea when it will be available though.

No connection, just a curious potential customer.

Dom

• Like 2

Overall very nice but being (probably overly) critical the seams on the tank and bunker are disappointing and quite obvious. Cab rain strips are straight where I think they should be slightly curved. The bunker steps were askew and have been straightened. Also for the price etched number plates would have been nice. 

Paul

Edited by McW
Addition
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've gone all early Dart Valley Railway...

1638 in DVR colours

20210207_123040.jpg.e4d1d698a9d71f8f10df6b6084a5f9ce.jpg

Along with preservation chums 4555 and 4588

20210207_123307.jpg.795e77b61b3db03e308412e677aa7362.jpg

20210207_123536.jpg.35516ed58d606f2edd2fbe35614089bf.jpg

On 1638, I have painted the handrails green (bunker, cab and tank sides), added lamps and coal and shortened the nasty front coupling.  Etched plates and crew are on order

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Jules said:

I've gone all early Dart Valley Railway...

1638 in DVR colours

20210207_123040.jpg.e4d1d698a9d71f8f10df6b6084a5f9ce.jpg

Along with preservation chums 4555 and 4588

20210207_123307.jpg.795e77b61b3db03e308412e677aa7362.jpg

20210207_123536.jpg.35516ed58d606f2edd2fbe35614089bf.jpg

On 1638, I have painted the handrails green (bunker, cab and tank sides), added lamps and coal and shortened the nasty front coupling.  Etched plates and crew are on order

Thank you for posting those pictures. I quite fancy one in green which has a hint of authenticity about it, that is if I ever get my subscription sorted out! Nice layout too.

The Scottish National Library has some archive footage of the last train on the Dornoch branch - three LMS coaches, including one Stanier 'porthole' brake,  worked by 1649. An illustration in MR280 clearly shows the front of 1649 fitted with standard BR lamp irons instead of the GWR side-mounting type. However, the archive footage shows, equally clearly, that the bunker lamp irons were still the GWR type when it worked the last train. As it ran round at the end of each trip, it must have carried different lamps for each direction of travel. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

43 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

The Scottish National Library has some archive footage of the last train on the Dornoch branch - three LMS coaches, including one Stanier 'porthole' brake,  worked by 1649. An illustration in MR280 clearly shows the front of 1649 fitted with standard BR lamp irons instead of the GWR side-mounting type. However, the archive footage shows, equally clearly, that the bunker lamp irons were still the GWR type when it worked the last train. As it ran round at the end of each trip, it must have carried different lamps for each direction of travel. (CJL)

Full record for 'LAST RUN OF THE DORNOCH RAILWAY' (5418) - Moving Image Archive catalogue (nls.uk)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DRoe96 said:

Wheeltappers seemed to have one "in progress" no idea when it will be available though.

No connection, just a curious potential customer.

Dom

Hi Dom,

For what its worth I asked Kernow on Friday, and they said they didn't know of anyone doing a sound file!

While there is the fall back of the class 5700, I wonder if there is anything for the class 6400 or class 1360  which could be used?

This leads on to the same question for the class1500?

Cheers

Paul