Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

I'm pretty certain none of the versions has yet sold out (CJL)

I hope so too. Still waiting my preorder and biting my tongue regarding those who seem to have ordered and received theirs within the week.

Still find the process being followed on these a little strange selling direct before fulfilling all preorders.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, GWRMember said:

I hope so too. Still waiting my preorder and biting my tongue regarding those who seem to have ordered and received theirs within the week.

Still find the process being followed on these a little strange selling direct before fulfilling all preorders.

Why? Kernow is a shop and mail-order business. Plenty of testimonials about the efficiency of their despatch on RMweb. Ring up, give card details - the products will be packed and gone within hours. Now this is a completely different situation. Somewhere in the tiny, cramped building in Camborne people are going down a long list of pre-orders, processing the card details - a % always fail due to various reasons, not least not being updated by the cardholder - then picking the correct product from the multiple options, and packing for despatch. Do you think the daily orders for all sorts of products should go hang while the 16xx orders are prioritised? Really?

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWRMember said:

I'm sorry but if iits that important, and it does appear to be, send them an email and raise the question. Kernow will respond.  I would not ring them. 

Otherwise, sit back. They will get to your order in due course. 

But please try to see it from Kernow's perspective. They are very busy , their  normal working practices are compromised and as well as Model Rail orders they are dealing with their own daily business. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

It's really very simple, as I understand it. You have some staff doing a same day turnaround on orders for all manner of models and accessories, - everything in the shop - including those that come in for Model Rail exclusives (not just the 16XX, we've done one or two other exclusives as well). You have other staff ploughing through the back orders and the pre-orders for Model Rail. These are a slower process because the card details of many will have lapsed since they were ordered, the wretched people at Model Rail may have changed the guises/catalogue numbers of some of the ordered models/the customer may need to be contacted etc, etc, all of which means the running order of who gets what when, may differ from the order it appears on the list. The alternative would be to add new orders to the bottom of the list and thereby build-up an unnecessary back-log. (CJL)

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1638 was originally GWR in preservation (1967 photo in Tyseley roundhouse) while the "Dart Valley" lettering lasted until an overhaul in 1974/5. After that it re-entered service in 1975 it initally ran without any logo or lettering  then the BR early emblem was applied. That was replaced at some time in the late 1970s; it was announced in 1976 that the loco was to named "Dartington" but it was not named in August 1977 but had been when services ran into the BR station at Totnes

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, dibber25 said:

The Scottish National Library has some archive footage of the last train on the Dornoch branch - three LMS coaches, including one Stanier 'porthole' brake,  worked by 1649. An illustration in MR280 clearly shows the front of 1649 fitted with standard BR lamp irons instead of the GWR side-mounting type. However, the archive footage shows, equally clearly, that the bunker lamp irons were still the GWR type when it worked the last train. As it ran round at the end of each trip, it must have carried different lamps for each direction of travel. (CJL)

9 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The film shows GW type front and rear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Which is strange because there's at least one photograph of it with the BR type on the front. Perhaps the movie footage does not show the last train - although regular services seemed to be a single coach only. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Why? Kernow is a shop and mail-order business. Plenty of testimonials about the efficiency of their despatch on RMweb.

Kernow have been one of the very best and fastest retailers I deal with, I have no qualms about my order with them.......it’ll come, the panniers never were that fast on the Looe Valley Line :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

11 hours ago, dibber25 said:

1649 lamp irons.jpeg

That photograph looks to be when 1649 was stored at Perth shed prior to and after withdrawal.

I would imagine once the Dornoch branch closed and the loco was then working in Inverness/Dingwall etc the GWR lamp irons would have become something of an inconvenience and were then replaced, which would be a straightforward enough job.

That would explain the discrepancy between the last train to Dornoch footage and the picture.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bon Accord said:

That photograph looks to be when 1649 was stored at Perth shed prior to and after withdrawal.

I would imagine once the Dornoch branch closed and the loco was then working in Inverness/Dingwall etc the GWR lamp irons would have become something of an inconvenience and were then replaced, which would be a straightforward enough job.

That would explain the discrepancy between the last train to Dornoch footage and the picture.

Yes, I hadn't realised, until the reference book arrived in the mail this morning, that 1649 had continued working after the Dornoch branch closed. It looks like Inverness shed swapped the lamp irons very late in 1649's career. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Photos suggest that the 16xxs are now out and about on people's layouts, but I've only seen one or two comments on the running qualities (which seemed positive). I would be interested if others had observations on the running?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2021 at 23:42, St Enodoc said:

And it's carrying Western lamps at both ends as well.  In the everyday rough & tumble of railway work lamps tended to get damaged but I wouldn't mind betting that on the Dornoch branch the only time they were taken off the top lamp iron was to refill the well with lamp oil so the original lamps lasted.  Out in the wider world lamps were treated to the more common sorts of abuse - such as 'dropping' them on the ground when they were removed from a lamp iron. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Photos suggest that the 16xxs are now out and about on people's layouts, but I've only seen one or two comments on the running qualities (which seemed positive). I would be interested if others had observations on the running?

I have to confess to being one of those who ordered late (last Thursday afternoon), but whose order must have been actioned immediately as it arrived yesterday (Monday)!

I should have taken notice of this thread, because I needed to rig up a temporary DC test track to try it out, my layout and test track are DCC, but have not yet got round to it!

I will report back when I do.

My current thinking on Sound is to try a 64xx sound file, as there is not yet a 16xx one. Has anyone any thoughts on its suitability, or what are others into sound thinking of doing? 

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I've had 3 running for a few hours each day since last Saturday.

I found fitting decoders an easy task. 2 small screws under the plastic water filler caps on top of the pannier tanks and 2 under the cab just in front of the buffer beam. The body comes away smoothly and also appear to be cast metal. The refit is precise.

I've fitted Hattons decoders and the performance is smooth at all speeds. They all negotiate standard 2nd radius point work with no problems.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Look out for my review Mikkel on ANTB ,if and when I receive mine.;)

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Received mine this morning, runs very smoothly, but yet to run in. Lovely model overall. Couple of minor issues. The couplings extend really far out from the buffer, the front excessively so. I've not seen such long and inappropriate extensions since I accidentally walked into a Basildon hair bar. I've tackled the front one by cutting back the pocket as far as possible, reducing the length of the prongs on the hook and securing the hook in the pocket. The other issue is the pick up connection to the centre set of wheels. The model uses plunger pickups, however the centre wheelset has greater side to side movement and the plungers don't cover the full level of side movement of that wheelset, so when the centre set is pushed out to it's full extent in either direction  one of the wheels won't have electrical contact. It should be ok, but on sharp curves there will be 5 wheels maximum having electrical contact.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I've tackled the front one by cutting back the pocket as far as possible, reducing the length of the prongs on the hook and securing the hook in the pocket. 

Any photos of this mod please @rembrow

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2021 at 19:44, Fredo said:

Does anyone know where it may be possible to find out which of the 16xx’s received a late BR crest before withdrawal? Thanks Fred

Post deleted.

Edited by tomparryharry
Sorry!

• RMweb Gold

My 16xx arrived today. Ordered 30.6.2019.

The first thing that grabs you is the size of the quality packaging it comes in. Almost feels like you're getting a 7mm version. 

After unpacking the model my version of 1623 of 85B in early crest black looks stunning. From normal viewing the 'B' word is not as bad as expected compared to some of the close up photos seen. 

The top of the verticle bunker sides needs a little bit of attention in my eyes but with the BR black version it's hardly a noticeble problem.

The coal load pops out easily with a scalpel blade. I will conduct a few tweaks around the bunker and spray it all in Tamiya Satin black to blend it in. Should be an easy fix. 

There are some incredibly fine details on the model to be noted including the rear cab window safety guards/bars. 

I would not be disappointed with this model if you've purchased one or more. Both Rapido and Model Rail have produced a stunning model and should be congratulated. 

The front NEM coupler needs adjusting as highlighted above and the buffers look a bit industrial in my eyes. 

Otherwise I'll certainly be ordering another. It's been a little ray of 16xx sunshine in these dark, wintery and snowy times. 

Roll on the 15xx and a Class 06 diesel shunter I say... ;)

Cheers,

Mark :D

No relation to either parties.. ;)

No verification of Class 06 either... :)

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Any photos of this mod please @rembrow

Here is a photo of a modified coupling against the original (yet to be modified). The coupling was removed from the pocket and then the pocket was cut at the point where it starts to splay outwards. The coupling was then trimmed at the prong end, leaving a stub that would fit into the pocket, without extending to far to foul the side to side movement. The coupling was then glued in place in the pocket. Unfortunately this mod means the coupling cannot be changed in the pocket, but you can replace with a new pocket. The side to side function of the system is retained.

P1050836.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 07/02/2021 at 18:55, Oldddudders said:

Why? Kernow is a shop and mail-order business. Plenty of testimonials about the efficiency of their despatch on RMweb. Ring up, give card details - the products will be packed and gone within hours. Now this is a completely different situation. Somewhere in the tiny, cramped building in Camborne people are going down a long list of pre-orders, processing the card details - a % always fail due to various reasons, not least not being updated by the cardholder - then picking the correct product from the multiple options, and packing for despatch. Do you think the daily orders for all sorts of products should go hang while the 16xx orders are prioritised? Really?

Absolutely.  

It is much more efficient to immediately process a new order for items in stock than to ‘park’ it until all preorders have been processed.

Given the time delay between those who preorder and those who order when in stock is minimal, I can only suggest is that the fuss is from those who want bragging rights.  ‘I’ve got my model before you did’ is a bit like ‘my dad’s bigger than your dad’!

Don’t forget that the key advantage of a preorder is that you are guaranteed to get a model which may sell out.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Here is a photo of a modified coupling against the original (yet to be modified). The coupling was removed from the pocket and then the pocket was cut at the point where it starts to splay outwards. The coupling was then trimmed at the prong end, leaving a stub that would fit into the pocket, without extending to far to foul the side to side movement. The coupling was then glued in place in the pocket. Unfortunately this mod means the coupling cannot be changed in the pocket, but you can replace with a new pocket. The side to side function of the system is retained.

P1050836.JPG

That's a good compromise fix. I'd like to borrow it, if I may. I did ask Rapido about shortening the front coupler but the model drives on the leading axle so the NEM 'fishtail' could not be any further back and there wasn't a shortened pocket available at source. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 3