Jump to content

sem34090

Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

Recommended Posts

On 08/06/2019 at 13:13, Steamport Southport said:

 

I wonder if we'll get 1661 with it's chalked on name.

 

VINEGAR CASTLE. :lol:

 

 

Jason

I'm afraid 1661 is wrongly credited in Model Rail as working Lea & Perrins - should be Hill Evans Vinegar Works. Most of the evidence of this line have disappeared following development of the area, some of the track routes are picked out in coloured brick in the St Martins Quarter. I came across the attached drawing many years ago but have no idea from where it came....

vinegar map.jpg

  • Informative/Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Martin_R said:

I'm afraid 1661 is wrongly credited in Model Rail as working Lea & Perrins - should be Hill Evans Vinegar Works. Most of the evidence of this line have disappeared following development of the area, some of the track routes are picked out in coloured brick in the St Martins Quarter. I came across the attached drawing many years ago but have no idea from where it came....

vinegar map.jpg

 

Thats off the MIAC web site Martin

 

Plenty more gen and pictures on there

 

http://www.miac.org.uk/hillevans.html#gwr1639

 

http://www.miac.org.uk/vinegarmap.html

 

Phil

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They may have got that from the Pannier Papers book. It says Lea & Perrins in that. Pages 51 - 54.

 

Personally I wouldn't have known any better. Not my area. But I think it's something a bit different.

 

 

 

 

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

 

Thats off the MIAC web site Martin

 

Plenty more gen and pictures on there

 

http://www.miac.org.uk/hillevans.html#gwr1639

 

http://www.miac.org.uk/vinegarmap.html

 

Phil

Many thanks Phil,

That explains a lot as I picked up the drawing and some others with about 100 black and white photos at a car boot over 30 years ago, I had no idea where they came from. Note to self - find the photos............

Cheers,

Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They may have got that from the Pannier Papers book. It says Lea & Perrins in that. Pages 51 - 54.

 

Personally I wouldn't have known any better. Not my area. But I think it's something a bit different.

 

 

 

 

Jason

That's one of the references we've been using. (CJL)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2019 at 00:38, 247 Developments said:

Anyone looking to re-number the 16xx them we have the full set of No's in stock 

I now understand the expression,

      ' that's a bit previous'........

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 45568 said:

I now understand the expression,

      ' that's a bit previous'........

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

they have been in the range since be for we took over the plates were added in 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:10, dibber25 said:

Pre-order book opens Thursday 13 June. (CJL)

 

What time ?;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Are you worried you'll miss out if you're too late? :lol:

 

You'll never guess which one I ordered.:jester:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen mention of these working Lydney docks. I'm off on holiday to Lydney in September, can anyone provide me with any reference material and pointers on Google Earth/Maps as to where the railway was? I can feel a small dock layout and a couple 16xx's coming on... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dibber25 said:

That's one of the references we've been using. (CJL)

 

Triangulation is key! Its a natural assumption Worcester = Sauce, it was even on the table in Croatia last year!

 

Hope it hasnt got you in too much of a pickle...

 

Phil

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

 

Triangulation is key! Its a natural assumption Worcester = Sauce, it was even on the table in Croatia last year!

 

Hope it hasnt got you in too much of a pickle...

 

Phil

This is completely off topic but (I like Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce) I know that Worcester sauce is hot stuff, but what ingredient is so flammable that the locos needed spark arrestors? I've sat here sticking lighted matches into vinegar but so far I still have my eyebrows! I need to order the Tetbury branch one (I twisted Richard's arm to include it) and one of the 'Busby' examples just because they're such fun-looking things. (CJL)

 

  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

This is completely off topic but (I like Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce) I know that Worcester sauce is hot stuff, but what ingredient is so flammable that the locos needed spark arrestors? I've sat here sticking lighted matches into vinegar but so far I still have my eyebrows! I need to order the Tetbury branch one (I twisted Richard's arm to include it) and one of the 'Busby' examples just because they're such fun-looking things. (CJL)

 

 

Not sure, but I.think the spark-arrestor ones were intended for a munitions depot in the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

 

Not sure, but I.think the spark-arrestor ones were intended for a munitions depot in the area. 

 

Possibly the RNAD at Ditton Priors

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup that’s the one. 1661 was used on “the gadget” .... cleobury mortimer to Ditton priors admiralty depot once the two indigenous pannier tanks 28 and 29 had gone . Naval ammo dump in rural Shropshire.... one way to fool enemy spies I guess! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either that or the Admiralty weren't that hot on map reading...

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, melmoth said:

Either that or the Admiralty weren't that hot on map reading...

 

Did they have Sub Lieutenant Phillips navigating?  :jester:

 

Left hand down a bit....Ohh, Nasty!

 

 

 

Jason

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

Did they have Sub Lieutenant Phillips navigating?  :jester:

 

Left hand down a bit....Ohh, Nasty!

 

Actually, that triggers a few memories that are completely off topic. Last time I was in Cleobury Mortimer was in about 1989 when I helping out on a summer camp for kids with behavioural problems. All of us volunteers spent the evenings in a pub run by an ex-military chap who was perpetually drunk in a sub-Leslie Phillips sort of way. Not thought about that in almost 20 years. Cheers!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NXEA! said:

I've seen mention of these working Lydney docks. I'm off on holiday to Lydney in September, can anyone provide me with any reference material and pointers on Google Earth/Maps as to where the railway was? I can feel a small dock layout and a couple 16xx's coming on... 

Lydney harbour is still there, well worth a visit. There are a number of interpretive panels in place showing the layout/ operation etc with photos from the Pope/ Parkhouse collection. Info/ photos etc in numerous books on the area.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dibber25 said:

... one of the 'Busby' examples just because they're such fun-looking things. (CJL)

 

Well, if CJL thinks it’s all right to include something for that reason, it makes me feel better. A very good move – that is precisely why I want one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was interested until I saw the price!

Guess I’ll just have to find and finish my kit for one, especially as I need mine in EM

Tim T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.