Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But they are of course parked parallel to the platform edge ;)   The first pic is slightly lacking because if it had showed a bit more to the right edge instead of all that railway stuff on the left you'd have got the pub into the picture:rolleyes:

I'm guessing the barrows were strategically positioned to suit an up parcels train from which consignments had to be unloaded from the first van in the train. From what I remember, Kemble wasn't particularly awash with staff at this time. I recall much more about the down platform and the Tetbury bay as I went to Tetbury both times that I travelled. Roger was on his own for this trip and I seem to recall he went to Cirencester. I don't recall ever seeing a '16XX' except for the one at Buckfastleigh, post preservation. (CJL)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2019 at 11:11, dibber25 said:

I don't recall ever seeing a '16XX' except for the one at Buckfastleigh, post preservation. (CJL)

That surprises me Chris because I'm well aware that you got around the WR as much if not a lot more than me at around the same time and I saw over two thirds of the class according to a count in one of my old ABCs.

And my photo of 1636 at Slough appears here about half way down the page -

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66924-the-stationmaster-goes-train-spotting-part-1/page/2/

Some more of my photos as 1630 appears on this page, on shed at Didcot in July 1963 while 1658 dumped outside the Stock Shed at Swindon in January 1965 appears further down the same page

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66924-the-stationmaster-goes-train-spotting-part-1/page/3/

52 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

That surprises me Chris because I'm well aware that you got around the WR as much if not a lot more than me at around the same time and I saw over two thirds of the class according to a count in one of my old ABCs.

And my photo of 1636 at Slough appears here about half way down the page -

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66924-the-stationmaster-goes-train-spotting-part-1/page/2/

Some more of my photos as 1630 appears on this page, on shed at Didcot in July 1963 while 1658 dumped outside the Stock Shed at Swindon in January 1965 appears further down the same page

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66924-the-stationmaster-goes-train-spotting-part-1/page/3/

Here's my only surviving Abc. I didn't really get around the WR that much once I got obsessed with stations and branch lines and I tended not to take numbers if something else caught my interest. (I once went all around Southampton Docks and saw most of the USAs, but I was obsessed with the ocean liners and didn't take a single loco number). The Calne branch gave me only one '57XX' and Kemble would have given my brother (I guess) 1664 in those pictures. The ones underlined and struck through with red would almost certainly have been copped at Swindon Works after withdrawal. (CJL)

Abc page.jpeg

• Like 6

On 14/06/2019 at 12:32, TrevorP1 said:

Thank you Chris and all. I can well understand the sentimental attachment, I would be doing exactly the same! Printed cab side plates very welcome, they can easily be changed for etched. As for shed & smokebox plates I alway use transfers as they are much less 'in your face'. If they don't already I'm sure Railtec will soon be doing 3D shed plate transfers, their range is constantly expanding. (No connection).

As for the St Blazey shed code, it was 83E until the summer of 1963 by which time steam engines in Cornwall were rare and 1626 had long gone to the blast furnace. 

No matter, the WD40 is working well on the padlock attached to my wallet...

Delighted to see the 16xx [duly ordered] but puzzled why the St Blazey version has an 84B shed code not 83E.  Steam finished at Cornwall sheds 9/1962 and at St.Blazey a little earlier when it was still 83E.  Of course, it would be easy to change, but why not get it right in the first place?  Photographic evidence to prove me wrong welcome!

1 hour ago, RichardM said:

Delighted to see the 16xx [duly ordered] but puzzled why the St Blazey version has an 84B shed code not 83E.  Steam finished at Cornwall sheds 9/1962 and at St.Blazey a little earlier when it was still 83E.  Of course, it would be easy to change, but why not get it right in the first place?  Photographic evidence to prove me wrong welcome!

I'll ask for it to be checked. If we're wrong, there's plenty of time to change it - we haven't even seen the first EP yet. (CJL)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RichardM said:

A good reason for getting it not right is because checking put minor details like this can not only be a right faff and take time (which sometimes doesn't exist in the spec process) but it is not unusual to come across conflicting information.  And of course you need to know absolutely everything before you start and to be honest not all that many folk are into BR regional boundary changes and the dates on which they took place or what they caused to happen.

So minor errors can occur but as Chris has said minor livery details like this can be dealt with quite late in any development process.  And especially so if the eagle-eyed not only happen to notice something like this before it is too late but also draw it to the attention those who need to know and who can hopefully do something about it.   And, as already noted it's hardly a major modelling task changing a shedplate on a 4mm scale model - or, even simpler, just dirtying over where it should have been.

• Agree 3

On 20/06/2019 at 12:53, dibber25 said:

I'll ask for it to be checked. If we're wrong, there's plenty of time to change it - we haven't even seen the first EP yet. (CJL)

Thank you.  I just thought you should be alerted to this.  It would be easy to change but I am sure you would prefer to get it right if it needs amendment, as I think you will find it does. Richard

10 hours ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

It looks like 1624 will need its shed code changed to 84J Croes  Newydd cause I don't think it was ever allocated to Stourbridge Junction.

It was at 84F Stourbridge Junction in 1951. Only for a month or so. Spent most of it's life at St Blazey.

7/50 Croes Newydd

6/51 Stourbridge

7/51 Machynlleth

7/53 Laira

10/53 St Blazey

2/62 Withdrawn

Details from Pannier Papers, but tally with other sources.

The spellchecker doesn't like Welsh and Cornish place names. :lol:

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

Similar inqury, different loco, was 1605 ever at Slough, cause I've looked up on different sites and I don't think any 1600s were ever allocated to Slough till the 1960s, and it looks like 1664 didn't fo to Swindon till its last years of service, but 1658 was allocated there during 1955.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick

As far as I'm aware, all the allocations are taken from the Pannier Papers book. 1664 was chosen as Swindon-allocated at my request because it worked the last steam-hauled operations on the Tetbury branch (the Westonbirt school train) and that was right at the end of its career. The Stourbridge one was chosen because I felt that we needed a West Midlands-based example. Some of the allocations will reflect locos late in their career. The intention is to maximise the spread in the hope that there's something that suits everyone, whilst minimising the need for people to renumber them. (CJL)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, dibber25 said:

As far as I'm aware, all the allocations are taken from the Pannier Papers book. 1664 was chosen as Swindon-allocated at my request because it worked the last steam-hauled operations on the Tetbury branch (the Westonbirt school train) and that was right at the end of its career. The Stourbridge one was chosen because I felt that we needed a West Midlands-based example. Some of the allocations will reflect locos late in their career. The intention is to maximise the spread in the hope that there's something that suits everyone, whilst minimising the need for people to renumber them. (CJL)

Well then again rule 1 exists for a reason, right nkw I'm debating on which one I want to pre-order and I'm stuck between 1623, 1636, 1628, and 1651, also I just checked and 1667 was allocated to Hereford, which Hereford is in the West Midlands so that could be an alternative solution to that problem, also if you do another one, the Whitland 1600s should be considered due to the Cardigan Branch.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Having seen larger Panniers (eg. 9600) in BR lined black livery I had assumed that livery would also have been carried by the 16xx locos at some point. Did the 16xx (n)ever have lining?

They only carried two liveries in BR service.

BR Black early crest

BR Black late crest

Unless the preserved example was lined at one point then I'm afraid not.

Jason

• Agree 1

Lined black appeared on one or two pannier tanks (notably 57XX and 94XX) which were considered to be 'mixed traffic' (mainly because they worked ECS into Paddington) but it was soon dropped. 64XX legitimately carried lined green as they were considered 'passenger' locos. '16XX' were primarily freight locos, so carried unlined black - even those which went to Scotland specifically to work passenger trains! (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

Apart from the Dornoch branch, did any of the 16xx's have booked passenger work? I've seen the Tetbury branch mentioned. 

Possibly the Cinderford and Cardigan branches. I don't have my references to hand right now.

1 hour ago, melmoth said:

Possibly the Cinderford and Cardigan branches. I don't have my references to hand right now.

According to the Great Western Journal No.30 Spring 1999 and Martin Connop-Price in The Whitland & Cardigan Railway (Oakwood Press), 16xx's were used on passenger services on the Cardigan branch - 1637, 1648 and 1666 were regulars with 1613 and 1628 also making appearances.  Interestingly, a 16xx was usually sub-shedded at Cardigan for working the first train out.  The reason that a 16xx was preferred for this service was that it was the only engine light enough to cross over the mini-turntable to be able to access the shed at Cardigan.  Add in the fact that many of the passenger services ran as mixed trains and that Cardigan station occupied a very attractive riverside location, and the modelling possibilities are endless!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1