Common road vehicles in 1984 - cars and commercial

Norm81

Mention of rust, and cars of the 1980s makes me think of the absolutely superb Alfasud.

They went like the proverbial excrement off a shovel, trouble is they had to, before they fell apart from the dreaded tin worm that they were particularly afflicted with.

I assume they got faster and faster as they shed excess weight in a cloud of oxide coloured dust....

Mention of rust, and cars of the 1980s makes me think of the absolutely superb Alfasud.

They went like the proverbial excrement off a shovel, trouble is they had to, before they fell apart from the dreaded tin worm that they were particularly afflicted with.

My uncle had one and it was a fantastic motor. He also had a couple of Triumph Dolomites, which the Sud kind of resembled minus the boot.

I'm sure I've seen models of the Sud in the past, can't recall what scale though. Thinking big Solido stuff.

One of the European plastic kit manufacturers (Heller?) did one, which I built c1981. Can't remember the scale though. It wasn't huge but my memory tells me it was bigger than 1/87.

Great pictures of period commercial vehicles here-

http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=87595403

Thanks for this link! At last a picture of a Transit Luton-bodied. I used to ride in the back of one of these (although a Mk 1 rather than this) when a greengrocer's lad. They were so common then. Yet I cannot find anybody who makes a model of this, or even a body kit (including RTI). Surely a big gap for someone to fill?

http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=14343390

• Like 2

Not a very hard scratch build off a flat bed chassis? Real one is just a box on the pick up chassis.

Very true, I guess, if I wasn't trying to build the layout in the first place and had loads of time to produce that and many other things! Perhaps it is something for a 3D printing expert?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One of the European plastic kit manufacturers (Heller?) did one, which I built c1981. Can't remember the scale though. It wasn't huge but my memory tells me it was bigger than 1/87.

Heller had a range of 1/43 car kits.

Just found this thread.

An excuse to go down memory lane.

My gaffer at the riding school had a Triumph Stag. Lovely motor, very maligned! The motor was fine if the servicing was spot on and it looked lovely, you could haul a two horse Rice trailer as well.

The same guy had an Alfasud TC. What a motor!! Stuck to the road like ****, and that great Italian roar from the exhaust!!

Remember the Alfetta? The cut price 5 door Alfa. Now those did rot!!

Lorry wise, Oxford and RTI do excellent Bedford TKs of all sizes. Their Ford D wagons are reasonable. To be fair, that cab shape is damn difficult to get absolutely right.

Then we have the Ford A Wagon, a Transit on steroids!!!

The version with a six cylinder petrol engine was a great drive in a horse box, plus it looked American and was cool!!!!!

My best drives were the biggest Bedford TK as a tractor unit hauling grain or grass and a Bedford KM on the same run.

These beasts had Detroit 2Stroke V8 diesels in them, with twin Exxox stacks, one for each cylinder bank.

Sounded like the hounds of Perdition when you got to full chat!!!!

But, like an old 2Stroke motor cycle, you had to keep them singing on the power band or it was a massive stirring of gears to get back on that band!!!!

I am in the process of putting together a model using RTI bits for the big TK I drove,

Ah Memories!!!

Chris.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Heller did quite a few BL mid/late-70s cars including the Range Rover, Princess, SD1 and XJS as well as contemporary versions of the Land Rover and Mini.

I knew they did the SD1 but didn't know about the princess

• RMweb Premium

Lots of Leyland trucks around then Clydsdales, Cheiftains, Reivers, Bisons, Marathons. 

Not to mention Boxers, Terriers and Mastiffs...

And other makes such as AEC, though the latter ones were badged as Leylands. Also Seddon-Atkinson, ERF and Foden.

And other makes such as AEC, though the latter ones were badged as Leylands. Also Seddon-Atkinson, ERF and Foden.

The Langley Seddon Atkinson 401 model is on of the best 4mm kits of 1970s/80s trucks, the chassis is a different league to the RTI kits. It is a shame that you can only get the 4 wheel chassis with a day rather than sleeper cab

The Tomytec range is of particular interest to me - many thanks - as I need to find a range of Toyota vans that were imported through Sheerness in the early 1980's (as well as have a few Datsuns dotted about on the layout). But I have spent some time since your post trying to find a website that lists their products (in English!) in HO. I have found many, as well as e-bay, that mention them, but once you get in, they are nowhere to be found! Just other scales. Can you recommend a website at all please?

Thanks

Incidentally, has anyone come across a car transporter model abroad, in any scale near enough to 00, that isn't the ancient Lesney one or the far too modern Oxford versions?

Hi

Unfortunately my gleaned knowledge is the same as yours in this respect; just obtained earlier! I don’t actually own any as there is no uk dealer I know of and they are very expensive to import...

The Tomytec range is of particular interest to me - many thanks - as I need to find a range of Toyota vans that were imported through Sheerness in the early 1980's (as well as have a few Datsuns dotted about on the layout). But I have spent some time since your post trying to find a website that lists their products (in English!) in HO. I have found many, as well as e-bay, that mention them, but once you get in, they are nowhere to be found! Just other scales. Can you recommend a website at all please?

Thanks

Incidentally, has anyone come across a car transporter model abroad, in any scale near enough to 00, that isn't the ancient Lesney one or the far too modern Oxford versions?

Realistic Lorry trailers from the 1970s and 80s are near non existent, the ones that are available are either too short or too old. I have just had to scratchbuild a 40ft skeletal trailer which bearing in mind how common they are surprised me..

Lots of Leyland trucks around then Clydsdales, Cheiftains, Reivers, Bisons, Marathons. 

On the CWS estate Down Ampney, we had an old RHM Leyland twin drive six wheeler. 

I can't remember if it was a Bison or a Hippo.

Ergo cab with a double difflock.

A convertible body, tipper to flat and the cattle box went on the flatbed.

Prior to that, we had a four wheel Commer for the 'box. That beast had the two stroke diesel with the Rootes Blower on it!!

That used to go bang with depressing regularity!!!

I drove an Ergo Leyland as a water bowser for Drain Brain of Bibury in 2003! If looked after, they lasted a long time.

I have a big soft spot for those Leylands!!!

C.

• Like 1

Realistic Lorry trailers from the 1970s and 80s are near non existent, the ones that are available are either too short or too old. I have just had to scratchbuild a 40ft skeletal trailer which bearing in mind how common they are surprised me..

Along with 40ft twin axle flats, I have a couple of Oxford curtainsiders to convert. They have released the newer 45ft triple flat though.

I was considering the Langley 35t beavertail low loader but wasn't sure if it would be era correct.

• Like 1

The Oxford DAF 2800, Atkinson Borderer and Scania 110 would all be suitable ready to plant models, the Atkinson had been out of production for almost a decade by then but they were notoriously long lived. The AEC Ergo had been updated with new grille panel from 1976 so the version Oxford and EFE offer would have been becoming scarcer by that stage, not helped by a cab that rusted at the very mention of rain.

In addition to these and the previously mentioned Seddon Atkinson 400/ 401, the most common tractor units would probably have been:

ERF B and C Series (RTI kit) and Volvo F88 (RTI kit), Leyland T45 variants (RTI kits or a poor effort from BT Models) and F10/ F12 (Knightwing/ Keilcraft or RTI kit)

Slightly rarer options would be:

Bedford TM (RTI kit); Ford Transcontinental (Keilcraft/ Knightwing kit); Mercedes Benz 2228/ 2232 (Keilcraft/ Knightwing kit); Foden S80, S90 and S103 (RTI kits); Guy J (RTI kit); 

For rigids, as well as the Leylands mentioned previously, the common ones would have been:

Volvo F86 (RTI kit) or F7 (long out of production Model Bus Co kit)

Leyland T45 variants (RTI kits or a poor effort from BT Models)

Ford D series (as above) or Cargo (Oxford)

Commer Commando (RTI kit)

Bedford TK (Oxford/ EFE/ RTI kit) or TL (RTI kit)

ERF B and C series (RTI kit again)

Seddon 32/4 (RTI or ABS kit) and Seddon Atkinson 200/ 300 (RTI kit)

Thanks to acg...., my Merc car transporter arrived today. Outstanding (and it did include a load of Porsches - anyone want some 1980-ish Porsches to a good home?). It will look just right at Queenborough in the early 1980's, providing I can make a decent job of a re-spray into MAT colours and either hide or move the LH steering wheel....

My quest is over.

• Like 3

Forgot to mention this. Not been brought up on any of the other responses.

If you are setting in exactly 1984 some of the cars listed crossed over either side so if you are fastidious you will need to also check the registration too or change it. 84 was the changeover from A prefix to B prefix in August.

For example the only Rover SD1 release so far from Oxford (real thing ‘77 to ‘86) carries a C prefix meaning it is an 85-86 model so not strictly suitable. Likewise their Volvo 760 is available in A C and F. Only the A suits (it’s the maroon one btw).

Motor equivalent of rivet counting!

Edited by ianmacc