Last year I purchased a  Corgi Classics Twin Axle Flatbed Trailer Model 1 50 Scale

Ive been looking for some one to do some 3d printing.

I noticed a London fire service foam unit on flickr and I decided to not create the foam unit itself but the High expansion foam containers and a few other pieces. But to date I have not found anyone just willing to create the items I want. They normally want to create the full item.. Maybe at a later date.

So do you know anyone that can help

Ive attached images of the unit I purchased and a few pics of the foam units to give you an idea of what i'm after.

post-32335-0-53269000-1528189951_thumb.jpg

post-32335-0-85382700-1528190223_thumb.jpg

Peter Collins

My starting point is always scale drawings. If someone can provide those(assuming I don't already have them), then it is relatively easy to do a design for 3D printing. I then use Shapeways to do the printing, so I could be thought of the link between the documentation and the manufacturer, but I can't get involved in either of those.

I would 3D draw it at 1:1 scale then reduce the size to 1/50. To get the 1/50 scale size just divide each dimension by 50, so:-

Height 1160/50 = 23.2mm

Length 1200/50 = 24.0mm

Width 1000/50 = 20.0mm

Edited by mikeharvey22

• RMweb Gold

Ive had time to search for a Bulk foam container that is used by the fire service.

the size of units are

Height (mm):  1160

Length (mm): 1200

Width   (mm): 1000

So how do i find out the relative scale. The model is 1:50

attachicon.giffoam tank unit.jpg

Peter Collins

That appears to be a completely standard pallet tank (forget the proper name but it will come to me). I have several downstairs if you want the measurements.

Edit: IBC.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

That appears to be a completely standard pallet tank (forget the proper name but it will come to me). I have several downstairs if you want the measurements.

Edit: IBC.

Yes please if possible some images to confirm they are what I need. Any chance of pointing me in the direction of were I can get some printed.

Peter Collins

I would 3D draw it at 1:1 scale then reduce the size to 1/50. To get the 1/50 scale size just divide each dimension by 50, so:-

Height 1160/50 = 23.2mm

Length 1200/50 = 24.0mm

Width 1000/50 = 20.0mm

Thanks for that info.

So in reality I'm looking for about 12 individual bulk foam containers for the trailer and this leaves me space to get a couple of other things to be made.

Peter Collins

Wow brilliant that's what I am after ...... This project is driving me crazy as can you supply the finished item and what would the cost be...

Peter Collins

I have sent you a private message.

BCS : what sort of 3D printer do you have and what plastic was used to make that ? It looks like it has a very smooth finish.

Hi. It was printed on Anycubic Photon printer. It uses a liquid resin and solidifies with UV light.

In some areas it has very slight stepping, but after spraying most of imperfections are not noticeable anymore. Like the small stepping near the top cap.

Below is the photo of painted tank.

8iIg14R.jpg

Daniel

Edited by bcs
  • Like 1

''Anycubic''....again ! I am researching 3D printers with a view to buying one and that is a brand name that keeps coming up. Does it work well with Blender software ?

Most CAD software products, including Blender, generate stereolithography files (.STL).  It's pretty much the current standard for describing 3D models.

Most CAD software products, including Blender, generate stereolithography files (.STL).  It's pretty much the current standard for describing 3D models.

Exactly. It does not matter what software you use as long as it allows to export to STL format. But I prefer more engineering software than Blender where I can set all dimensions very precisely which is sometimes crucial to get a correct print. Especially when we are talking about prints which are close to the printer limits. For example this one was very tricky to print:

q9D03ff.jpg

Vertical bars are 0.5mm in diameter.

• Like 4

But I prefer more engineering software than Blender where I can set all dimensions very precisely which is sometimes crucial to get a correct print. Especially when we are talking about prints which are close to the printer limits.

That's why I prefer TurboCAD Pro. Takes a bit of effort to get the hang of it, but it makes producing something like this quite simple.

post-25691-0-33594300-1530047076_thumb.jpg

Four Britannia chimneys 1/76.2 scale.

• Like 1

Andy : could you elaborate a bit more on why you think Turbocad Pro is better than Blender ? I am in the process of evaluating 3D software with a view to buying a 3D printer...probably the Anycubic i3 Mega.

NOTE : It would appear that Turbocad Pro is free : is this correct ? 

Edited by brian777999

Andy : could you elaborate a bit more on why you think Turbocad Pro is better than Blender ? I am in the process of evaluating 3D software with a view to buying a 3D printer.

Hi Brian,

I'm no expert on Blender (I've been using various versions of TurboCAD for 25 years) but from what I can tell Blender is more focused on the creation of "artistic" (for want of a better word) models than engineering models.

It's quite simple to convert 2D drawings into 3D models in TurboCAD. I'll run you thought the basic steps of producing one of those chimneys:

Ignoring the bottom flange, draw an outline of the profile of the chimney to scale in 2D.

Select the 2D profile and "Revolve" it around an axis to create a 3D model. (We're about half-way there)

To make the flange extrude a 2D circle that's the diameter of the smokebox to produce a cylinder.

Extrude another circle into a cylinder that's slightly larger on the same axis.

Subtract the smaller cylinder from the larger cylinder to produce a tube (that's the flange, but it needs to be trimmed).

Logical "Add" the tube with the rest of the chimney.

Draw a 2D circle that's the diameter of the flange (in plan) on the axis of the chimney.

Extrude it into a long cylinder.

Logical "3D Intersect" that cylinder with the other bits that were previously added.

Now 'Modify 3D objects' - "Fillet Edges" to merge the flange into the rest of the chimney.

Last step is to "drill" the hole in the middle with a logical subtract.

Yer done! (I've left out a few details but I hope you get the general idea.)

If you wanted it to be a double chimney you could slice it down the middle, "Pull" the exposed faces by a specified amount and "Add" all the bits together to create the model.

Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Blender and you could probably make this using Blender too. You'd have to try something like this to find out how it would go.

A lot of this could also be done in the less expensive TurboCAD Deluxe, but it's not free either.

I think the worst bit about any 3D modelling is knowing which 2D plane you are currently operating on. I don't think that's going to change much :)

Best,

Andy

Brian,

Alas, TurboCAD Pro is not free. It's quite expensive. TurboCAD Deluxe is less expensive, but not free either. You might find a back-dated version of Deluxe or Pro for sale that's not too expensive. I'm running the 2015 Pro version.

I had a look at the various freeware CAD programs I could find recently and I couldn't find any that met my particular needs. I suppose it's an example of "you pays your money and you gets what you pays for".

Andy

Thanks for the information. Yes, I agree : I am happy to pay the money provided that the software can do what I want. More accurately, as long as I can learn how to use it so that it will do what I want ! I have seen 2016 versions of Turbocad Pro for sale on ebay (Australia) for $300.

Edited by brian777999

Thanks for the information. Yes, I agree : I am happy to pay the money provided that the software can do what I want. More accurately, as long as I can learn how to use it so that it will do what I want ! I have seen 2016 versions of Turbocad Pro for sale on ebay (Australia) for $300.

Autodesk has a good offer on monthly and annual subscriptions. Might be worth checking link below. 

https://www.autodesk.com.au/products/inventor-lt-family/subscribe?plc=INVLT&term=1-YEAR&support=ADVANCED&quantity=1