it is notoriously incompatible with just about any other software

Is that your personal experience or just something you heard down the pub? I import and export stuff to and from TC all the time.

I spoke to somebody today who uses Autodesk123 for 3D design and printing... but not for model trains. Has anybody tried this software ? It looks like it would be easier to learn than Blender.

Edited by brian777999

• RMweb Gold

When I modelled OO-9 I used tinkercad (free web based software by AutoDesk)

and had it 3D printed at Shapeways

Same here.

After trying to learn Blender + other I looked at Tinkercad, I learnt it in 5 minutes and used it to put together what I wanted (Chimneys, domes & pipework) in an hour or so, printed and delivered,  checked it and it's accurate to the dimensions I put in and have been very happy with the results.

No idea whether you could use it for complicated items such as a complete loco body.

I spoke to somebody today who uses Autodesk123 for 3D design and printing... but not for model trains. Has anybody tried this software ? It looks like it would be easier to learn than Blender.

Autodesk discontinued 123 a while ago

We are making some changes to simplify our Autodesk portfolio and workflows for people everywhere who love to make things. We are consolidating these tools and features into key apps such as Tinkercad, Fusion 360, and ReCap Pro.

I personally use Fusion 360 for 3D design, it is free for hobbyists and small businesses. I haven't used Tinkercad, it looks like its easy to get started and learn some principles of 3D modelling but when you want to model real pieces of engineering (locos, wheels etc) you may find fusion 360 is more satisfactory- it is designed and used for real mechanical engineering work.

There is a dedicated thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125135-the-great-fusion-360-thread/ and this guy  has worked out a clever way of making loco wheels

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122847-any-wheel-any-size/ I created a Fusion 360 wheel generator just tap in the diameter, spokes crank throw etc. and Bobs your uncle, I need to refine it but the principle works.

John
Edited by JohnGi

• 2 months later...

That's why I prefer TurboCAD Pro. Takes a bit of effort to get the hang of it, but it makes producing something like this quite simple.

attachicon.gifBritsx4.jpg

Four Britannia chimneys 1/76.2 scale.

Over on Wright Writes, I've posted up some pictures of how these Britannia chimneys turned out: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/?p=3302648

• 2 years later...
On 26/09/2020 at 18:33, chuffinghell said:

All drawn using Tinkercad and printed at shapeways

AA6 Permanent Way Brake body fitted to Oxford rail chassis

GWR Loriot L machinery wagon

Wagon load

Excellent work there, just shows what can be achieved with a bit of effort

• Thanks 1