Peco Asymmetric 3 Way Turnout (SL-E199)

I am a little confused by coachmans post and diagram above where he has one switch fed from the other, but from the other posts I think that I need the switch adjacent to point A on my diagram to operate frog 1& 2. And switch B to operate frogs 3.

Actually it makes no difference whether you follow Coachman's drawing or gwrman's drawing, they are equally correct alternatives.

Personally I go with the 3-way switch approach, you need one with 2 poles and the wiring is essentially the same. (They usually come with 4 poles, the other 2 can be used for operation of point motors if provided later.

Regards

Keith

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Connectors 1 and 8 go to the switch powering the motors.  2-4 form one polarity switch (2 & 3 to the track or DCC bus, 4 is the frog) and 5-7 are the other switch (5 is the frog, 6 and 7 track/DCC bus). The wires to 2/3 or 6/7 may have to be reversed to set the correct polarity. Should be a diagram of this in the Tortoise instruction leaflet.

Edited by RFS

• 5 years later...

Hi Modellers. The Peco Three way asymmetric point is an handsome beast okay, but, to me it is a beast. Before I purchased my “space saving marvel” I didn’t realise that it didn’t save as much space as I had assumed it would. Now I have a fight on my hands to get it in my limited yard. I may have been better off using a pair of Peco large radius right hand electrofrog points instead, okay I would have lossed siding length, but I would have one long siding and two a bit shorter. Please advise happy modelling Kev

• RMweb Premium

What sort of advice can we provide? The three-way point is a space saver because it is, asymetric or otherwise, two simple turnouts overlapped into one length of track.

I am currently at the stage of tracklaying towards where mine will sit. I understand the wiring rather better these days (my post above is now several years old) and will not need the insulating joiners beyond the points because all roads are dead-end sidings. In other words there is nothing to short circuit. Which ever way the points lie they will provide potential to one track while offering none to the other two. Or in simpler terms if you think “red and black” then the approach track has one red and one black rail, as does the road set. The other two roads have two red rails meaning nothing on those will move.

• 2 months later...

Hi Modellers. Up until now I have had no trouble with Peco Electrofrog Right Hand Or Left Hand Point Control by “ wire in tube “ . And I don’t expect to have a problem with WIT and the three way asymmetric point, but, the frog wiring may be a different saga?

I have all the wires in position two wires and the third separate , which leaves the “ bus wires” . On either the R/ H or L/ H you only require the two bus wires, simples , but, what do I do with the spare wires? on the three way point? Happy Modelling Kev

• RMweb Gold

Hi Modellers. Up until now I have had no trouble with Peco Electrofrog Right Hand Or Left Hand Point Control by “ wire in tube “ . And I don’t expect to have a problem with WIT and the three way asymmetric point, but, the frog wiring may be a different saga?

I have all the wires in position two wires and the third separate , which leaves the “ bus wires” . On either the R/ H or L/ H you only require the two bus wires, simples , but, what do I do with the spare wires? on the three way point? Happy Modelling Kev

The frogs must be powered by a switch which is what these wires are for.  Best see  the instructions for how to do this....

• 1 month later...

Hi All.  Wiring Sheet? Wiring Sheet? Everyone talks about a wiring sheet.But, I never got one? A diagram on the card that came in the package, but not a sheet. Or is that what everyone means? Youtubers make it look so simple, but I think I ‘m getting too old for Simples?  Is there a sheet or a card?   Kev 

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, as this makes sense in terms of DC... however, I threw away the instructions with my own example! I've read the whole thread, with DCC, do I need one or two frog juicers? It looks like just two from 'Redgatemodels' DC illustration - as two of the frogs are always switched the same way?

It must be about 17 years since I encountered one of these. I remember I had to alter it to be DCC friendly, bonding the blades to the stock rails and isolating the common crossings. Apart from reducing the danger of wheels possibly shorting, it also does away with the dubious practice of relying on blade contact for electrical switching. The layout used Tortoise point motors, so the spare contacts were used to switch polarity. Basically the 2 nearest common crossings are switched together, the one furthest away isn't