Little Loco Company - Class 22

The Nth Degree

Wheel Beats can be very good in 7mm, especially with coaches!

Like ripples in metal work, certain prototypical effects are best left unmodelled, as they end up looking like poorly executed modelling.

As LLC are fitting twin speakers, such will help with the scaling of sound....

I have seen decent smoke-still not scale though-heard decent sound decoders, still far from perfect.

Imagining can be very effective too though.

Back on topic now...

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Gold

I've yet to see smoke coming from a model that looks anything like the smoke one expects to see from the real thing.  Technology might surprise me though.

John

Can't wait to posion yourself with particulates etc!   That is one of the problems even if you scale size the particles they probably behave differently due to the smaller size. Apart from that the missus would not be happy if it smelt the same  :jester:

Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ruston 48DS update

Apologies for not having any updates on this project for so long. Simply and frankly put, the pre-production samples sent to me so far have not been worth showing.

Although the production of the parts has been of very high quality, the assembly and finishing of the model has not met LLC quality standards so each batch sent to date has been rejected. There is a possibility that the Rustons will have to go to another factory, which will take a long time to organise and facilitate.

This has had an adverse affect on the other models in our production schedule, not least the funding of the Class 22. While I work with the factory to resolve assembly and finishing issues on the Rustons I must look at an alternative funding method for the Class 22. News on that next week, but I'm looking at crowdfunding.

As the Class 22 is a much more technical model than the Ruston, the 22 will now not be produced in the UK. Unfortunately it looks like the UK manufacturing experiment has failed.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update Steve - that must be a huge disappointment for you after all the positive development work back in the early days. To have to find a new factory at this late stage must have made you want to give up in view of the additional costs. I admire your determination to carry on . . . .

Hope you are feeling better now - I saw the empty chair at Bristol (it was supporting an enlarged copy of your email !)

Mike

• Like 1

Ruston 48DS update

Apologies for not having any updates on this project for so long. Simply and frankly put, the pre-production samples sent to me so far have not been worth showing.

Although the production of the parts has been of very high quality, the assembly and finishing of the model has not met LLC quality standards so each batch sent to date has been rejected. There is a possibility that the Rustons will have to go to another factory, which will take a long time to organise and facilitate.

This has had an adverse affect on the other models in our production schedule, not least the funding of the Class 22. While I work with the factory to resolve assembly and finishing issues on the Rustons I must look at an alternative funding method for the Class 22. News on that next week, but I'm looking at crowdfunding.

As the Class 22 is a much more technical model than the Ruston, the 22 will now not be produced in the UK. Unfortunately it looks like the UK manufacturing experiment has failed.

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear that, I have the Ruston on pre-order with my local supplier, Im in no hurry.....

Your efforts and updates are greatly appreciated, I admire what you are striving to achieve, it seems that anything worthwhile these days takes time and effort to achieve.

There are huge problems with manufacturing in China-and they havent dawned on many yet-the Chinese are avoiding paying VAT to the tune of £billions, the VAT man seems to be sat on his hands in that regard (I really dont want Chinese and French building a nuclear power station in the SW, but I digress). Simply put the UK, although it seems blissfully unaware, is at 'business war', with China, Germany, France (EU Franco/German alliance) and DRNK....everyone blames the Russians, yet theyre not the only ones! Beware of countries with a red flag, that should raise a 'red flag' (of warning). The stories I could tell of slipshod Chinese business practices.

I know several aspects of UK car manufacture who are looking to UK source and bring certain manufacturing processes back from China certain products and supply-chains, but as weve let stuff slide in the UK its hard to re-establish such. I find it interesting that the Adam Smith institute, Wiki and our current govt chose to ignore their own mantras as far as Adam Smith's advice on such matters is concerned-but then other forces are at play too as UK PLC is further eroded in this 75 year slide to subservancy. Smith's comments coupled with those in The Prince by Machiavelli should be our bibles in the UK, but UK plc is now the soft underbelly.

There is still time and still hope.....slim but its there.

If you have the strength and will power, keep up the good works, Im sure many of us will stick with you.

What the 'Chinese Factory' needs-as it appears to be a bottle neck too-is some genuine, 'air-gapped', competition, another factory or two to break the monopolistic/oligopolistic hold, great if that was a UK/Commonwealth factory, if not then a.n.other Chinese factory?

Kindest regards and best wishes,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

Thanks for the update Steve - that must be a huge disappointment for you after all the positive development work back in the early days. To have to find a new factory at this late stage must have made you want to give up in view of the additional costs. I admire your determination to carry on . . . .

Hope you are feeling better now - I saw the empty chair at Bristol (it was supporting an enlarged copy of your email !)

Mike

Having flu last week certainly hasn't helped getting things organised.

It's really unfortunate that this is not looking hopeful. The Rustons will now likely have to drop to the back of the queue behind the 50s.

Yes, CME, until we have our own factory we are reliant on others. We have started on that venture already - we bought our first injection moulding machine a few weeks ago. Watch this space!

I was going to say that the only way to really be captain of one's own ship is to own the supply-chain! I didnt want to appear to be teaching anyone to suck eggs or to be boring.

Good for you though - each steps leads you to where you want to be.

I was looking forward to the Ruston, but it can wait, perhaps I shall focus on the Class 22, (Id love a 50 but cant accommodate such).

Hope that you are on the mend - get well soon.

Kindest regards,

CME

If the Class 22 goes down the crowdfunding route could it be done without resorting to Facebook as a method of doing it as per the Class 50 and yes I know the reason why it did but I think the quality of LLC products are such I would have no problem putting money up front to make things a success. Likewise the Ruston 48can wait I’m sure it will be good.

Repeating to Self...

"I do not need a Class 50 in Largo"

"I do not need....

:shout: :tease: :jester:

would that be Key Largo..don't remember  a class 50 in that movie..

The Class 22 crowdfunding will not be on any particular platform, it will be advertised here, on FB and in the hobby press. I will publish precise details next week. You have all seen the engineering in the model, and it will continue to be the same revolutionary technology.

Thank you for all your support.

Steve

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

A new production line for the Rustons is currently being set up, which I will visit either this afternoon or tomorrow. I will be on-hand to offer guidance and assistance to finally solve all the production issues.

With organising this, and a half term that has crept up from nowhere, I have had little time to look at the funding figures for the Class 22. I will have some free time over the weekend so will publish everything Saturday/Sunday.

Stocks of the Class 15 are very short now, and the model and its tooling will be retired once remaining stock has been sold. If you've been wavering then now is definitely the time. I will be at Kettering on the first Saturday of March, so I welcome reservations for collection. Special editions of the Liverpool Street pilot will be available, plus the last two Limited Editions of D8233.

• Like 2

Steve,

Not that I have any immediate need for my Class 15 model, but what provisions have been made for repair spares for the product when the warranty period expires?

Rgds,

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

A new production line for the Rustons is currently being set up, which I will visit either this afternoon or tomorrow. I will be on-hand to offer guidance and assistance to finally solve all the production issues.

With organising this, and a half term that has crept up from nowhere, I have had little time to look at the funding figures for the Class 22. I will have some free time over the weekend so will publish everything Saturday/Sunday.

Stocks of the Class 15 are very short now, and the model and its tooling will be retired once remaining stock has been sold. If you've been wavering then now is definitely the time. I will be at Kettering on the first Saturday of March, so I welcome reservations for collection. Special editions of the Liverpool Street pilot will be available, plus the last two Limited Editions of D8233.

Wishing you all of the best/good luck.

Will this mean that the Rustons still be here before the Class 22s?

Many thanks,

CME

Hi Steve

Will you be able to order a Class 22 when you publish the details?

The Hornby magazine says you can order via the web site but web site only shows class 15’s.

Thanks Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Wishing you all of the best/good luck.

Will this mean that the Rustons still be here before the Class 22s?

Many thanks,

CME

Let's hope so. They are a gnat's whisker away from being approved for production.

Hi Steve

Will you be able to order a Class 22 when you publish the details?

The Hornby magazine says you can order via the web site but web site only shows class 15’s.

Thanks Gareth

The website is still being worked on unfortunately, but have a look below if you are interested in funding it.

post-11337-0-70979500-1518980568.jpg

Little Loco Company Class 22 funding initiative

If you would like to help fund the innovative LLC Class 22 model, we are opening 300 models to funders for a limited time only. Each model will be offered at a significant discount to retail prices and will come with a special 'Thank you' certificate.

We are starting with the production version of the loco, with the Pilot Scheme locos being tooled after the production versions have been released. There are five different liveries to choose from:

• All green

• Green small yellow panel

• Green full yellow end

• Blue small yellow panel

• Blue full yellow end

All models will come with many parts to customise your model, like boiler exhaust cover plates, snowploughs and alternative pipework, full transfer sheet relevant to your livery, etc. Prices for all models are shown in the chart below:

post-11337-0-57282400-1518982630.png

Reservations for the retail models can be made from our website in a couple weeks, but if you would like to help fund the model please email class22@littleloco.co.uk where you will be given full information to order your own special model/s.

Thanks, Steve.

• Like 4