Little Loco Company - Ruston 48DS

The Nth Degree

• 2 weeks later...

We did our first endurance and fault finding test today on an outdoor layout of 42 metres in length. It did a scale 220km without fault. Even though this was an outdoor layout with a sprinkling of bird droppings and tree sap the built-in capacitor meant it kept on running without fault.

The next test will be of a production model and we'll run it until it breaks - if it breaks!

• Like 2

This is a very brief video of the test train we were hauling around today.

Hi Steve

I'm wondering why so short a video and in revese.  Looks like a good track layout for an extened endurance run; building confidence.

Norman

Hello Norman, the video was not to show the testing as that would be hours long, it was just to show the test train. I have lots of clips but nothing lengthy as that was not the purpose of the day. I will be there to take a full lap video on the final production model test. One lap is over 8 minutes long at scale speed.

• Like 1

I must say, Paul Chetter has done an outstanding job on the sound. We've had Ruston drivers saying how realistic it is. That's the biggest endorsement you can get.

Steve,

Thank you for the complement, I'm very pleased with the way it has turned out.

Remember that the latest version of the sound project, which you do not yet have, includes several enhanced sound features so will be even more realistic.

Best regards,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that the latest version of the sound project, which you do not yet have, includes several enhanced sound features so will be even more realistic.

Based on the one that used to be at Chard Junction, which function key will be Frank yelling "come on you b###tard, start...."?

• Funny 1

Thank you all. It's quite frustrating at times waiting for parts to arrive, but exciting too.

In two to three weeks all the injection moulded parts should arrive for finishing. Approx two week after that all the machines parts should be ready, along with most of the electronics. Approx a couple weeks after that the die-cast parts will have arrived.

We're assembling in sub-assemblies so there shouldn't be much of a delay from final parts deliveries to a deliverable model. Telford is probably unrealistic for anything other than fully finished samples, but Hornby's Great Electric Train Show is very likely. All reservations will be honoured first, of course.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Hello David, yes, progress is being made all the time. I don't have much time to post about it and the progress is sometimes very small or not very interesting.

New samples from the injection moulder have arrived, a new die-caster has been sourced and samples 'should' be here in time for Telford. The machined parts supplier has come up with a machine tool small enough to create knurls on the axles to prevent the possibility of slippage (has not been evident, but is theoretically possible). The new electronics factory have provided samples of new interface boards and capacitor boards with solder joins that stick! Testing the printed lining will start soon, along with building the jigs for fixing the badges. Packaging supplier being sent updated artwork after Telford.

Individually these are not worth talking about, but together as above and you can see it's been busy. That's not counting the work on the 22, research on the following model and also further technical investigations into Z gauge. Plus, organising a demo of the precision injection moulding machine we hope to purchase as soon as funds allow.

It's coming together, but everything seems like it's moving along in treacle with lead boots!

• Thanks 1

Hello David, yes, progress is being made all the time. I don't have much time to post about it and the progress is sometimes very small or not very interesting.

New samples from the injection moulder have arrived, a new die-caster has been sourced and samples 'should' be here in time for Telford. The machined parts supplier has come up with a machine tool small enough to create knurls on the axles to prevent the possibility of slippage (has not been evident, but is theoretically possible). The new electronics factory have provided samples of new interface boards and capacitor boards with solder joins that stick! Testing the printed lining will start soon, along with building the jigs for fixing the badges. Packaging supplier being sent updated artwork after Telford.

Individually these are not worth talking about, but together as above and you can see it's been busy. That's not counting the work on the 22, research on the following model and also further technical investigations into Z gauge. Plus, organising a demo of the precision injection moulding machine we hope to purchase as soon as funds allow.

It's coming together, but everything seems like it's moving along in treacle with lead boots!

Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that is excellent news. It is great to hear that things are moving forward; don't worry about the pace I am in no doubt that this one will be definitely worth the wait!! Also allows time for people ona very strict budget such as myself to get the necessary funds together! ;)

I know you've got a lot on with your other projects too so thanks agai for the update. Apologies for pestering you, I didn't want it to seem like I was badgering/chasing at all, as I said, I am in no rush and know the finished product you will deliver will be of the highest quality.

Keep up the good work and all the best with all your projects! :)

David

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

It is Chinese New Year on February 5th, so chances are nothing is coming out of the smaller factories in China at least until March.

Year of the Pig.

Hope that will not be reflected in the quality of Chinese output this year.

• Funny 2