Little Loco Company - Ruston 48DS

The Nth Degree

Orders are flying out of the door thick and fast now, despite this morning UPS collecting the morning pick-up and forgetting about the afternoon run... At least there will be an extra big bundle in the post tomorrow.

I've had many emails enquiring about the whereabouts of their model. Please don't worry, nothing will be lost in the post and I can assure you it will be with you in the coming days. Unfortunately it does take me quite a while to check and pack and label each one, but I am getting there.

To clear up some confusion from my earlier post, the decoder was fine when delivered, but it did identify a problem with the wiring on the PCB which is not apparent when running on DC, so Paul took them back and worked overtime remapping them to counter the effects of the PCB issue. Everything now is fine. If you are encountering DCC issues, I have uploaded a PDF containing the CV values to change to ensure it runs as it should, but I would recommend that you send it back for a replacement – especially if you are unsure of changing CV values yourself (I include myself in that category!).

An issue, which could cause the rear bogie to not collect current, has been identified. The wires leading to the pick-up on the rear bogie are overly long and not secured, so that they could flop about and fall onto the motor/cardan shaft coupling knuckle. This does one of two things – it either creates a ticking noise, or in some circumstances can pull one or both wires from their soldered joints on the pick-up carrier. All the models posted from retailers and from myself after Bristol have secured wires, but I am aware that some were purchased at the show and before. If you have one of these it would be a good idea to secure these wires with tape to prevent a future rear bogie pick-up failure. All failure issues of this type are fully covered for a free replacement, or to have the wires resoldered at a venue of your choice and Little Loco will pick up the tab.

I only have another 40 or so prepaid orders to get through over the weekend, so I should be up to date soon. If anyone has a video or pictures of their model I'd love to see it in the thread – particularly if you have managed to tackle those decals.

Thanks, Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is probably too subtle for many!

Roy

I got it second time looking!!

Jeremey at Digitrains called me today to advise that my loco is in stock. Paid Jeremey and called my brother (who lives in Lincoln and lurks on here) and asked him to collect it on his next visit to Digitrains.

Keith

Is that the Queen getting driving lessons?

Seriously it looks fantastic

Bob

That is probably too subtle for many!

Roy

To what it is you referred, it registered the first time I saw the pic; I then spent some time looking for something less obvious :punish:

Don't worry JB, yours is safe and sound currently steaming across the sea. Landing in Southampton in a few days.

Ironically they are more than likely on the same ship as items for me. 

Well done mate, superb project brought to fruition.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Has anyone discovered a way to put crew in the cab?

Seems to be a closed compartment and I am reluctant to proceed without a plan to avoid damage.

I notice that the break out board provides solder pads for capacitor+ and ground, that's really excellent, no need to solder to the decoder on this loco or to the pins but actually provided on the board. That's a first as far as I know in UK RTR manufacture.

Norman

• RMweb Gold

Seems to be a closed compartment and I am reluctant to proceed without a plan to avoid damage.

I notice that the break out board provides solder pads for capacitor+ and ground, that's really excellent, no need to solder to the decoder on this loco or to the pins but actually provided on the board. That's a first as far as I know in UK RTR manufacture.

Norman

Unusual, but not a first - the SLW class 24 has them. Something I wish every loco had these days

Roy

Norman

Hi Norman

There was some discussion earlier in this thread relating to getting figures into the cab. Items from  Modelu seemed to fit. I was speaking to Rob at Northumbrian Painting Services https://www.paintinghistory.co.uk/ on Saturday and he is going to produce some figures especially for the Dapol 08. When I get them I will report back.

Steve

Hi Norman

There was some discussion earlier in this thread relating to getting figures into the cab. Items from  Modelu seemed to fit. I was speaking to Rob at Northumbrian Painting Services https://www.paintinghistory.co.uk/ on Saturday and he is going to produce some figures especially for the Dapol 08. When I get them I will report back.

Steve

Hi Steve

My question was about gaining access to the cab of the Little Locos class 15 not the Dapol 08.

Norman

Well done Steve this is a great model, mine arrived today and I'm pleased I went for sound it's the best I've heard, the light/heavy load function is a lot of fun. Does Paul do any other sound for other locos? I'm pleased I waited to add sound to my other locos because this is very good. Can't wait to order the Ruston.

• RMweb Gold

Well done Steve this is a great model, mine arrived today and I'm pleased I went for sound it's the best I've heard, the light/heavy load function is a lot of fun. Does Paul do any other sound for other locos? I'm pleased I waited to add sound to my other locos because this is very good. Can't wait to order the Ruston.

Hiya,

Yes he does - he's on here as Pauliebanger - but does sound for 20s (I think), 25, 37, 47, 56 etc.. Paul's sounds were also used on the Minerva Peckett and Kerr Stuart - available direct from the man himself in his ProtoDrive version, which are superb!  No connection other than as a customer...

Rich

Hi Steve

My question was about gaining access to the cab of the Little Locos class 15 not the Dapol 08.

Norman

Hello Norman, the original brief asked for access to the cab, and on the early prototype this was by way of self-tapping screws on the cab floor. Somewhere along the line this has changed to glued tabs. Having all the prototypes in my possession now, I can see that it happened on the second prototype, but this was way down on my list of things to check and I simply didn't notice it to query it.

I imagine access to the cab is going to be quite tricky now. Some sort of glue-softening agent may work perhaps? If anyone has any ideas or would like a production sample to experiment on (for this purpose only please) I can send one to you and you can report back here if or when you find a solution.

In the early stages I was planning on adding a driver and second man crew to the accessories, but space on the tooling ran out pretty quick and I had to drop the idea.

I agree, Paul has done a cracking job. I think he's done quite a few profiles, but you can contact him directly on email to enquire: soundsloco@btinternet.com