Little Loco Company - Class 15

The Nth Degree

Progress has been slow, but steady over the last few weeks, but tool testing has begun. I've attached some pictures I've received to show that something is actually happening (I do sometimes question myself!).

The one major alteration to the tooling so far is on the bogies; due to severe restrictions in the available turning circle if the steps were included on the running plate they have had to be placed on the bogie sides (otherwise the turning circle would have been over 6') and the design to fix them in place is unacceptable at the moment, so these are being redesigned and retooled. You will easily be able to make out the large reinforcing strut behind the steps on the bogie picture – it's this part which is being eliminated to represent much more accurate steps.

Later in the week I should receive the fully completed model pictures with all the smaller detail parts attached.

post-11337-0-14487100-1465405988.jpg

post-11337-0-02386300-1465406000.jpg

post-11337-0-71375200-1465406009.jpg

post-11337-0-24147400-1465406020.jpg

post-11337-0-12512900-1465406027.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Progress has been slow, but steady over the last few weeks, but tool testing has begun. I've attached some pictures I've received to show that something is actually happening (I do sometimes question myself!).

The one major alteration to the tooling so far is on the bogies; due to severe restrictions in the available turning circle if the steps were included on the running plate they have had to be placed on the bogie sides (otherwise the turning circle would have been over 6') and the design to fix them in place is unacceptable at the moment, so these are being redesigned and retooled. You will easily be able to make out the large reinforcing strut behind the steps on the bogie picture – it's this part which is being eliminated to represent much more accurate steps.

Hi Steve,

I'd echo the comments. Its looking good, can't wait to see the completed pictures. I hear on the grapevine one of these might get transferred for trials in the NE, meaning it would work on my layout fine!!! :)  Well done on keeping to push for the best you can do.  Thats what makes LLC stand out.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Later in the week I should receive the fully completed model pictures with all the smaller detail parts attached.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160608_115410.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160608_115424.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160608_115435.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160608_115506.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160608_115446.jpg

I think you mean 6' radius rather than 6' turning circle (which would be only 3' radius).

I'd be interested in others' views but I for one always start from the perspective that minimum radius in O should be 6'. If that means that we can have correct steps, I think many would reckon that to be a good solution.

I don't disagree with you in principle, it would be a perfectly accurate solution, but due to the materials involved this was not an option. I'll try to explain.

The running plate is die-cast, which in thicknesses required to accurately reproduce the steps would have been too fragile. To strengthen the supports for the steps would have further reduced the available rotation of the bogie. The 6' radius was indeed something I had to bare in mind (and also the new set-track available from PECO), but it would not have been possible with the materials used in this model. As it is, the model now has an expected radius of approx 3'.

Almost every single non-display scale replica produced to date from any manufacturer has some compromises to some degree or another, and this is no different. It is very possible that I or another organisation could introduce an upgrade to reproduce the steps more prototypically in a material other than those used in this model. I'll keep you updated.

• Like 2

I don't disagree with you in principle, it would be a perfectly accurate solution, but due to the materials involved this was not an option. I'll try to explain.

The running plate is die-cast, which in thicknesses required to accurately reproduce the steps would have been too fragile. To strengthen the supports for the steps would have further reduced the available rotation of the bogie. The 6' radius was indeed something I had to bare in mind (and also the new set-track available from PECO), but it would not have been possible with the materials used in this model. As it is, the model now has an expected radius of approx 3'.

Almost every single non-display scale replica produced to date from any manufacturer has some compromises to some degree or another, and this is no different. It is very possible that I or another organisation could introduce an upgrade to reproduce the steps more prototypically in a material other than those used in this model. I'll keep you updated.

I think it is a fair compromise.

If you have a layout where small radius curves are not an issue, it should be a relatively simple task to remove the steps from the bogies and fix them to the running plate instead. (dare I suggest a little bit of modelling!)

Edited by Trains4U

I've spent an evening thinking about the step problem and I will chat to the manufacturer after the weekend to see what solution can be implemented.

Some parts are going to be etched anyway – the shed and builders plates, etc – so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to get the steps etched and fixed to the running plate, but modified in such a way that allows set-track radius curves to be negotiated.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, I've had some messages already from the contact page on the website. I'm very open to suggestions, and this is definitely the time to air them.

Steve

Re the steps maybe supply them loose as "buyer to fit" parts? Maybe even two types, to mount to either the underframe if the buyer has easy curves, or to the truck frames for sharp curves, or left off if the buyer has sharp curves but doesn't want moving steps.

I would rather have them correct. Can you not make them as a user applied assessory. That way those of us who want them accurate and have large radius curves can fit them and those who don't can leave them off or fit to the bogie?

Paul R

• 3 weeks later...

There has been very little to report recently, so however much I'd like to keep this thread regularly updated there is not much to say.

There is quite a backlog at the factory as it moves into a bigger site to accommodate the much larger demand on its services. It's interesting to note that a large majority of the 0 gauge RTR currently on the market and soon to be released are originating from this factory, as has been mentioned previously. Little Loco's is simply somewhere is a pretty big queue.

The model is very slowly progressing through the chain. The steps are being worked on so that they are not fixed to the bogies, but are fixed to the running plate instead (which is what I wanted originally...). Some additional design work and subsequently some tooling amends are required to achieve this.

Since my last post the most catastrophic referendum result for UK suppliers outsourcing offshore has occurred. I don't quite understand how a net purchaser would willingly devalue their currency in this way, pretty much guaranteeing almost every single commodity price would increase. But here we are. I'm not sure what I, or anyone else, can do to hedge against the inevitable price rises, but as I have already advertised the cost of the model, margins – and subsequent donations – are under threat.

The only good news is that costs have not risen at all for the UK-produced model. In fact, UK production for many industries is now looking much more viable. I'm hoping that the time I'm spending putting together a UK supply chain will have much more value than originally thought.

As alway, when there is a tangible update to give I will post it here.

Steve

The only good news is that costs have not risen at all for the UK-produced model. In fact, UK production for many industries is now looking much more viable. I'm hoping that the time I'm spending putting together a UK supply chain will have much more value than originally thought.

I'm sure the problem is only dependent on the exchange rate at this time as possible trade negotiations are very much smoke and mirrors at this time. As the exchange rate is similarly very unpredictable (may yet go up or down) nothing is certain there either and may only affect purchases at this point in time. So regarding UK manufacturing the only known in the unknowns is exchange rate on current stock and in that regard, as I guess that metals are imported, the impact will be potentially on the UK supply chain as well.

You're correct, currency rates fluctuate regularly to small degrees, but this is quite a large swing downwards. Until trade deals are firmed up and the state of our economy is clearer based upon those deals the exchange rates will fluctuate further, and I feel there is room for the rate to drop further still.

The tooling for the UK model will be produced in this country. In fact, the only components originating offshore are the motor and some PCB components. I'll check where the raw materials for the ABS plastic and zinc alloy originate from - most likely offshore too.

• RMweb Premium

The aim to develop a UK supply chain for the design, tooling & manufacture of this model is really commendable. It might not be the lowest cost option, but the benefits in control, reliability & response times for the project could be well worth it. The dependence of UK RTR Gauge 0 on a single Chinese factory could risk a Hornby scenario! I 'd guess that when you're ready to anounce the model and invite orders, you won't be disappointed.

Dava

Class 15 reserved today.

The next project,  a type 2,  with your connection to the class 15 society, I thought of the CoBo,  but then posts refer to the many variations of the intended model

The Cobo class 28 had virtually zero variations, the Vauxhall Cresta cab windows were soon patched over. if you change direction, please put me down for Cobos in each livery variation

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Paul, the only date I can give is September, as that's all I've been given. I'm hoping it will be released in time to make the donation to the C15PS have a significant contribution towards their restoration before winter. It's almost certain not to make Telford, except as decorated samples.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...