Little Loco Company - Class 15

The Nth Degree

Hello, and apologies for not updating the thread. As I was up most of the night before Reading, I got in and fell asleep on the sofa until the early hours. I was then up until about 3am updating orders for the C15 and then went to my proper bed and slept for about 12 hours...

Those of you who were there (and it was great to meet you!) would have seen securely tucked away under a glass case the next release – the Ruston 48DS in two cab styles, open and closed. I'll give a full spec list and official announcement later tonight or tomorrow morning, but I'm just off out to meet a special friend.

The stand was really busy all day and I didn't get to take any photos. If anyone has any please pass them on. One day in the distant future, when the Little Loco Company Visitor Centre opens up, it would be nice to have a picture of our first show. I like those little touches of history.

In January tooling will start on the Rustons, while two – yes, two – Type 2s will start development in the digital drawing room, alongside an 0-6-0 steam loco. So that's three locos in development early next year. Hopefully something for everyone.

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Steve

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hello, and apologies for not updating the thread. As I was up most of the night before Reading, I got in and fell asleep on the sofa until the early hours. I was then up until about 3am updating orders for the C15 and then went to my proper bed and slept for about 12 hours...

Those of you who were there (and it was great to meet you!) would have seen securely tucked away under a glass case the next release – the Ruston 48DS in two cab styles, open and closed. I'll give a full spec list and official announcement later tonight or tomorrow morning, but I'm just off out to meet a special friend.

The stand was really busy all day and I didn't get to take any photos. If anyone has any please pass them on. One day in the distant future, when the Little Loco Company Visitor Centre opens up, it would be nice to have a picture of our first show. I like those little touches of history.

In January tooling will start on the Rustons, while two – yes, two – Type 2s will start development in the digital drawing room, alongside an 0-6-0 steam loco. So that's three locos in development early next year. Hopefully something for everyone.

Steve

Fab news Steve - you've just made my day! Shall look forward to one of the later cab variants arriving for use on Burneside :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

EDIT: Completely missed a page of posts so my previous post is not applicable!!!

Great news on the development Steve - and good luck with the three models for next year, slow down a bit though, your costing us all too much money :). Hope the 0-6-0 is an Eastern Region, and not one of the 'Go When Ready' locos ;)

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

In January tooling will start on the Rustons.........

Steve

Yes, yes yes!!

Thanks for confirming Steve, I for one am absolutely over the moon with this!! I've had everything crossed for months that this would be the prototype but didn't want to get my hopes up... As I said above, the Ruston announcement means that Christmas has come early to chez south_tyne! :danced:

I look forward to reading all about it when you can make an official announcement. In the meantime, enjoy a well earned rest after a busy weekend. Thank you for all your hard work :)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

An absolute bargain! We're offering full support for these, including spare parts shortly, so fill your boots.

This is not normal LLC practice, but we needed space in our warehouse for the anticipated arrival of the Rustons and Hattons generously obliged. We move into a larger warehouse in the middle of next year.

• Like 1

Received my sound fitted Class 15 from Hattons yesterday at noon, having ordered it at 14.00 the day before. Excellent service and a great loco, had two hours of running in at the Club last night, having put the number D8226 on during the afternoon.

Really looking forward to the Class 22.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Received my sound fitted Class 15 from Hattons yesterday at noon, having ordered it at 14.00 the day before. Excellent service and a great loco, had two hours of running in at the Club last night, having put the number D8226 on during the afternoon.

Really looking forward to the Class 22.

Regards

Mike

Ordered one from Hattons on Wednesday before noon, was told it had been picked then nothing... Telephoned this morning and found it had been ‘lost’ in the system. Now expected on Monday! Less than 24 hours for Mikes and 5 days for another to be delivered - strange.

• 2 weeks later...

My plain green DCC sound-fitted model arrived from Hatton's yesterday. Not being 'DCC aware' nor having the necessary coding equipment and after reference to the instruction booklets, I have two questions which I'm posting here as I suspect there might be others interested in the answers:

1. There is no mention in the DCC Instructions of the default address for the decoder, what is it please? It's good to know that otherwise the comprehensive range of functions are all pre-programmed and pre-set;

2. Cunningly secreted in the black lower packaging was a near-invisible black rectangle which turned out to be some sort of electronic component with the ID HEX70-PCB-4V1 H=1.0MM with 4 little black boxes each labelled M7. First I was fortunate to spot it, second that I didn't damage the pins when removing it from the packaging and third as there is no mention of it elsewhere I have no idea what it is or does?

So you've also picked an Ipswich/Stratford ping-pong allocation - mine will be D8223, the first of the Ipswich allocation.

For the price is not to be missed. It is the ‘bigger loco’ for freight running. Ideal for cross London’s. I’d ummed and aahhd for ages. So I’ve ordered mine. Looking forward to the Paul Chetter sound.

Agree on the price, although it's rather late in my chosen period, but not to be missed and something to operate until I get around to building the stack of steam loco kits. But very useful for any East Anglian local/pick-up freight and passenger workings too, as long as they didn't need steam heating. See Dr Ian Allen's Diesels in East Anglia for general examples and more specific works such as Peter Paye's Aldeburgh and Framlingham Branches amongst others. The Cl15 is almost the diesel equivalent of the J15...

My plain green DCC sound-fitted model arrived from Hatton's yesterday. Not being 'DCC aware' nor having the necessary coding equipment and after reference to the instruction booklets, I have two questions which I'm posting here as I suspect there might be others interested in the answers:

1. There is no mention in the DCC Instructions of the default address for the decoder, what is it please? It's good to know that otherwise the comprehensive range of functions are all pre-programmed and pre-set;

2. Cunningly secreted in the black lower packaging was a near-invisible black rectangle which turned out to be some sort of electronic component with the ID HEX70-PCB-4V1 H=1.0MM with 4 little black boxes each labelled M7. First I was fortunate to spot it, second that I didn't damage the pins when removing it from the packaging and third as there is no mention of it elsewhere I have no idea what it is or does?

All decoders and decoder equipped models are required to be despatched with the address '3', unless manufacturer fitted. In the latter case, the manufacturer can programme a different default address but then should supply details of this address.

In practice, this rule is almost universally applied as being 'always despatch with address 3'.

So it's safe to assume the loco address is 3. In this instance, I can confirm that the address is 3.

The component you have identified is the DC blanking plug. If your model is decoder equipped, you will not use this item, but if you wish to remove the decoder, the model will not run until you relace it with the blanking plug. The model will then only operate on DC (analogue).

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Guest teacupteacup

Just picked up a sound fitted chappie and by god its a cracker!!!!  One thing though, how do you turn on the tail lights?  Cant see anything in the DCC handbook

Just picked up a sound fitted chappie and by god its a cracker!!!!  One thing though, how do you turn on the tail lights?  Cant see anything in the DCC handbook

In the period in which Class 15s were operational, locomotives including diesels were required to display an oil lamp with a red lens for the tail light when Light Engine. The use of electric tail lights was forbidden, so the decision was made to produce the model without working tail lamps, in favour of having each of the four marker lights at each end, plus the cab light individually and independently controlled. (that's a requirement of 9 Function Outputs)

The original plan was to provide a separate lamp with the model for the tail lamp, but for some reason, it did not make it as far as the production examples.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks for the compliments and Paul's help in answering questions.

The tail lights were deliberately left non-working because they were never allowed to be used during its operational life, so it would have been silly to invent a lighting mode.

As Paul said, a working tail lamp was planned and designed but the factory refused to make it so it was left out. A shame.

Guest teacupteacup

Thanks for the replies Paul and Steve, 

I guess it makes sense not including them just for the sake of having lights.  I do remember the tail lights being very dim (marker lights too at times!)

Very very happy with the loco and the sound is just fantastic