Little Loco Company - Class 15

The Nth Degree

Due to a misunderstanding of my (very clear) brief to the web developers, the website has been undergoing some revisions while also being live. This has been a pain to people wanting to reserve a model, and to me. I'm sure my hair will grow back eventually, and I've never found a use for fingernails anyway.

I've now tested the new reservation button and all works fine from a technical point of view, but there is no link between the model descriptions and the reservation coding. I will get this fixed tomorrow, but I have pasted in what the reservation codes refer to below:

BTH15-GDB Green with duck egg blue cab panels £375

BTH15-GDS As above with small warning panels £375

BTH15-GDF As BTH15-GDB with full yellow ends £375

BTH15-GSY All green with small warning panels £375

BTH15-GFY All green with full yellow ends £375

BTH15-LSP Liverpool Street pilot Limited Edition, fully decorated £395

BTH15-CPS D8233 Limited Edition, fully decorated £395

One again, I sincerely apologise for the delay and inconvenience on the website. The web developers have been very apologetic, but that doesn't really help very much. Thankfully it will be fixed by the time the mags carry the news, reaching about 70,000+ unique readers – I've only had to suffer embarrassment from the odd 20,000 members here...

Steve

Well I'm not sure if should be sceptical of the price or saying that it makes everyone else in all gauges look expensive for a lot less model.

I read the spec then was flabbergasted at the price, well done.

Thank you. In effect, I haven't given the purchaser anything 'extra' than any other model, I've simply organised them differently to create a lot of extra 'value'.

I could have used an ordinary DCC socket, but the difference in price of a Plux22 socket is minuscule, and it gives extra functionality and future-proofing. The lighting circuit boards have a couple extra components adding up to pennies, but you can program the lights to display in any train formation you like, instead of covering up the ones you don't want illuminated. The working headcode discs use up no more material than a non-working type, but with my design engineer we worked for two months to make them work.

Perhaps the biggest difference is that I chose to donate additional the profits to a preservation group, which allowed me to price it to sell.

I'll tell you what I 'wanted' to do. In the end it became too expensive and time consuming to complete the prototyping, so the idea was dropped late in the development. One of the dominating features on this loco are the cooling group grills. These could open and close, depending on temperature and other factors, but I REALLY wanted mine to work like that also. The problem was with actuation – servo, solenoid, linear actuator, and so on, plus the actuating mechanism was interfering with the speaker unit space. I had to make a choice, and unfortunately the plan was dropped. If I had more time and more money it definitely would have happened. Maybe on the next one...

• Like 1

Fascinating. I always thought that the moving grills on the Hornby 00 50s were a bit of a dog’s dinner. Agreed that the price is staggering. Well done! It’s a shame that I don’t do 0, though I weakened for the Dapol Terrier, so you never know!  

• Like 1

Fascinating. I always thought that the moving grills on the Hornby 00 50s were a bit of a dog’s dinner. Agreed that the price is staggering. Well done! It’s a shame that I don’t do 0, though I weakened for the Dapol Terrier, so you never know!  

Until you have had it / tried it you don't know what your missing as they say.    I remember someone saying that to me 44 years ago !!!

That was the Prison Boss (Wife)

Regarding marriage  :angel:

I've heard some say that this is an entry level model on other forums. I completely disagree the spec on this puts some of the super expensive RTR to shame. The price looks very good and hopefully more will follow.

• RMweb Gold

...& that's before adding wheels, gears, motors, paint, & then build the thing!!! :O ;)

I'm delighted by what the LLCo is doing but I DO like building things as well -  however I'm just glad the 15 is not a 22 as mine dropped on the door mat from JLTRT about a week ago....

Chris

Edited by Gilbert

I'm delighted by what the LLCo is doing but I DO like building things as well -  however I'm just glad the 15 is not a 22 as mine dropped on the door mat from JLTRT about a week ago....

Chris

And the week you finish it, the L.L.Co Class 22 will be released :jester:

I'm not against building stuff by any means, for instance I find I'm more likely to weather something I've built myself. I might weather something I buy RTR, but only after a rather long "eventually" :blush:

I'm confused - apparently it happens quite a bit at my age.

I was brought back to this topic following a sojourn on another planet to find that the subject of my interest has been supplanted by numerous posts about some RTR Class 15.

All very interesting but a bit of a diversion and definitely OT.

Being a kit builder (kit constructor) I have little, other than passing, interest in things RTR. Of course I wish every success to the venture into RTR but would have preferred that announcement and ensuing wish list festering to have been in a new topic.

I guess what I am asking is, can the Mods please split this back to its original and a separate topic on the Class 15 development and announcement? So my brain can get back to its one track sanity.

It's been quite a week at Little Loco HQ, mostly spent at the web developers. The website can now take reservations from both consumers and stockists to my satisfaction.

The model was rolled into the tooling shop this week, so until I get a sample back there is not much to report on the Class 15, so I'm back onto the kits next week, but not before I design the box packaging and user manual.

Enjoy your weekends!

• Like 2

I've heard some say that this is an entry level model on other forums. I completely disagree the spec on this puts some of the super expensive RTR to shame. The price looks very good and hopefully more will follow.

Thanks Steve, I've been planning this for a long time so I've had quite a while to really think things through. I've also sought the advice of people who know more than I do about certain things and I've taken their advice. The price was chosen to reflect the cost to produce it while also donating most of the surplus to the C15PS, no other factor was involved.

More will definitely follow. I hope to roll out the next one by Christmas/new year. It's a bit bigger than this so will be slightly more expensive, but will have the same or better spec.

• Like 4

Chris

I can't agree more; I like building things too, but with two jobs and a six-year old to look after I'm finding having the time to build is really difficult. Even with just one job and my son was difficult – I still have three van kits unfinished from about 3 years ago, plus the three tank locos I started last year. Throw in an extra job and time becomes the most rarest and valuable commodity in the world.

I'm confused - apparently it happens quite a bit at my age.

I was brought back to this topic following a sojourn on another planet to find that the subject of my interest has been supplanted by numerous posts about some RTR Class 15.

All very interesting but a bit of a diversion and definitely OT.

Being a kit builder (kit constructor) I have little, other than passing, interest in things RTR. Of course I wish every success to the venture into RTR but would have preferred that announcement and ensuing wish list festering to have been in a new topic.

I guess what I am asking is, can the Mods please split this back to its original and a separate topic on the Class 15 development and announcement? So my brain can get back to its one track sanity.

Just wait until I start on my trade stand layout – I'll have kits, RTR and a layout in one thread. Prepare to blow a fuse! ;)

• RMweb Premium

How odd is that - I have just used 4 different ratings

Thanks for the update

Like for the donation and the new bigger loco by the end of the year

Friendly/Supportive as you don't have any time

and of course Funny for your response to Kenton . . . . . . .

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know! I know!

Can I play?

You could provide  tantalising clues, like steam or diesel, or 1st digit of  class number!

Dava