All new RTR PGA wagon in 2mm scale

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

In case it's of use here are some images I took of trains featuring these wagons in 2014 on the lines around Ely.  Berfore being displaced by HOAs the PGAs offered by Cavalex were often seen in fabulous mixed trains with other PGA types and bogie hoppers, includnig those offered by Farish and the NGS.

Manea March 2014

P1070110.JPG.93c28b801e0432ce2c39b8d8a7a90c55.JPG

Barway March 2014

P1070143.JPG.ef2de215ac159b4e3d8791fee8316c37.JPG

Whittlesey November 2014:

DSCN2068.JPG.9690e6ae617609b7caf0f81110e0d6a9.JPG

At this time nearly all the PGAs were unbranded and debranded, though one still carried partial LaFarge livery, and all I photographed had had the ladders removed.

2018611225_P1070114crop.jpg.16d29d02f1bbff76207bcfd9d7d33069.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scott B said:

In the image linked previously in this thread (and here again below) the third wagon back is what I take to be the (standard) Redland livery which is available in packs CM PG012 N (R) TP A/B/C/D, the bracketed (R) being for Redland I assume, and either with or without the protection panel.

Product Description

Set of 3 Redland PGA 51T Hopper Wagons

The fourth, fifth and 6th wagons back are what I would assume to be the Larger Redland CM PG012 N (LR) TP A (the bracketed (LR) being for Large Redland I assume.

Product Description

Set of 3 Redland Large Logo PGA 51T Hopper Wagons

It is clear that this version, which I think first appeared early 1989, maybe  late 1988 ? have a larger Redland logo to me, as you would expect with a Large Logo Redland product description.

I do not believe you have any of these illustrated Paul as your collection predates these from what I have observed.

I hope that clears things up and I apologise for the lack of clarity previously, maybe it was not as obvious as I thought, or maybe I have it all wrong  and the Large Redland Logo is not what I thought it to be, ie the fouth, fifth and six wagons as per the illustration.

I was just trying to get things clearer for those with lesser knowledge of the liveries than myself, not that I am an officianado by any stretch of the imagination, but if i am correct, the larger logo is not depicted as such in the train pack illustration as to my eye it appears the same size as the normal Redlands.

Fair enough, you are talking about the third 'Redland' livery and that wasn't clear to me. The models appear to represent the second 'Redland' livery, when the dark band was removed and the writing increased in size but still aligned with the top of the flat side, not central on the panel. It was still a livery in use in 1999 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/redlandpga/ece5df61b and probably for sometime later. 

Paul

6 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

Great news! Really pleased to see these resurrected. 

For the thick/lazy amongst us which were the latest versions - I presume the Lafarge then the blanked out and white ones?

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike.

Yes you are correct, Lafarge, white with patch and then plain white.

Thanks again to you and Ben for your support. It is much appreciated.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice to see this project return....

I used to see the Redland ones regularly in my youth whilst waiting for trains at Peterborough.

The version I really wanted though, as it fits with my modelling (and also used to see in later years), is the LaFarge livery.... but, unless I am mistaken, this is only being offered with ladders [good], but without protection panels [what?!].... the protection panels were what made these wagon distinctive and is how I remember the vast majority - a search on Flickr confirms my memory is still fine!

Is the lack of protection panels for pack CM PG012 correct(?), given that all the promotional material, including photos of an actual livery sample(!) shows the protection panels....!  As it stands, the marketing material is at best misleading, but also seems an odd choice of detail permutation to offer, given the scarcity on a livery for which you are only offering one pack.... 

So is the spec on the RoS website incorrect, or if not, Is there a chance that an addition pack with ladders and with protection panels might be added in LaFarge?

I had originally expressed an interest in quite a number of wagons when offered directly, but the LaFarge livery was offered with ladders and panels.... 

Would be good to get thoughts from the Cavalex guys.... perhaps the combination I’m interested in was the least popular when offered directly.... and I understand not everyone’s wishes will be catered for....

Good evening JR_P, thank you for your message and feedback.

We are glad to hear that you are pleased to see our N PGA project move forward.

Regarding the protection panels, the configuration that you mention, protection panels with ladders and walkways, in Lafarge livery did not seem that popular a choice when we previously offered the PGA in N. 
What we are currently offering is the most common configuration for that livery, ladders and walkways but without protection panels. Whilst some examples did continue with protection panels fitted in this particular livery, from research conducted it seems that more ran without the protection panels. This is why we are offering this particular configuration to cover the more common wagon configuration.

Here are a few links to Flickr which I thought might be useful:

PGA REDA 14838 Toton 19112002 34 view

PGA REDA 14752 TJH03 Trowse 16th October 2000 Copyright Tim Horn

PGA REDA 14803 TJH03 Trowse 16th October 2000 Copyright Tim Horn

Chloe Jade at Barrow on Sour 27-11-00

Picturejuly08e 018

Picturejuly08e 016

14828 kept the protection panels:

14828 at Ely

We will certainly discuss the protection panels and the Lafarge livery with Rails of Sheffield as a suggestion for future production runs.

Many Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had a close up look at the N Gauge PGA EPs at Model Rail Scotland and was extremely impressed with them. They will certainly make for impressive rakes!

865152298_cavalexpgaa.jpg.8f23cfad745de91ef227d8cae6662445.jpg

There are some more images here

Delivery is currently expected around Q3 this year. 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...
15 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

I didn’t manage to speak to Cavalex at the weekend, did anyone ask about these and if they’re are imminent? I’ve a pack on order for my N gauge micro… and can’t wait!

Thanks for the custom. These are due to arrive Q2 2023.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the models above sitting on their flanges, the pin on the Rapido coupling appears to be touching the table-top. Is this the case? If so it'll need cutting shorter to get through pointwork without derailing.

They do look very nice though - big improvement on the old Farish model.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

A PGA is a PGA to most people - many won't know (or care!) that you've produced a model to an actual diagram!

I hope it does well and gives you the confidence to shrink the BBA and Total TEA tanks too. Fingers crossed!

Steven B.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 9 months later...

POST-DEMU SUMMER UPDATE

N GAUGE PGA WAGON PROJECT

From day one of starting Cavalex Models, the intention has always been to release all our OO gauge products in N gauge, so we are very excited that our first N gauge models will soon be arriving in the U.K. Production of our PGA hopper wagons is complete, with the factory having packaged up the models ready for shipping to the U.K. We are expecting the PGAs to arrive later this month subject to shipping.

The Cavalex N gauge PGA wagons are currently available to pre-order from Rails of Sheffield, please see below link:

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/n-gauge-wagons-freight?tags_brand_td93xydblb7cxukrqni65zsz=Cavalex-Models

NPGAcopy.jpg.367128e52cc860c25a78b92f389b91cb.jpg

Production Models - Cavalex Models’ N Gauge PGA hopper wagon

SVMRC LOUGHBOROUGH SHOW - 12TH AND 13TH OF AUGUST 2023

Last month we attended the Loughborough show with Cav's N gauge layout 'Burton on Trent'.

This gave a perfect opportunity to run the first production models of our eagerly awaited N gauge Redland PGA hoppers which we had shipped over especially for the show. The wagons were very well received by the viewing public and looked amazing behind 56010!

BoT.jpg.c0948e28a21f4937b89efdfaab6b9b42.jpg 

As a company we are committed to releasing more N gauge products in the future. We hope that the N gauge community can get behind us and support our PGA project to allow us to consider other products in our range being replicated in N gauge too.

Full update here: https://www.cavalexmodels.com/post-demu-summer-update

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got some ‘proper’ shots of the PGAs that’ll be on NGN later, but I really couldn’t resist posing these beautiful wagons on layout at scaleforum today. They’re just superb! 

IMG_5251.jpeg.f37810a6cd085f074fac5f6997cf5e2d.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

There are some more images of the production samples now up on NGN here

Having had the opportunity to see these close up, I'm extremely impressed by them, and they are certainly up there with the best N Gauge wagons of recent times. A full rake is going to be an impressive site on any layout! 

I genuinely hope these are a success for Cavalex as they could lead to more N Gauge models from them and at this quality that would be a very welcome development for the N Gauge market! 
cavalexpgab.jpg.4050cd05422fae9af0cf669fcea59904.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These wagons are looking superb! I've been looking for an excuse to purchase a few by trying to justify their running on the South London line in the 2010s (the area I intend model) and came across some photos on Flickr of EWS/ DB 66s hauling rakes of similar looking wagons between Cliffe & Acton. Just wondering if anyone can confirm if these are indeed the same variant? I've seen some plain white and tatty/ some plain white with the black patch but then I got thrown off by some VTG branded variants?

Hopefully someone can confirm...

08-04-17 DB Cargo 66034 - 6O10 Acton T.C - Cliffe Brett Marine

Class 66/0 No. 66034

with VTG branding

Edited by jackrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jackrob said:

These wagons are looking superb! I've been looking for an excuse to purchase a few by trying to justify their running on the South London line in the 2010s (the area I intend model) and came across some photos on Flickr of EWS/ DB 66s hauling rakes of similar looking wagons between Cliffe & Acton. Just wondering if anyone can confirm if these are indeed the same variant? I've seen some plain white and tatty/ some plain white with the black patch but then I got thrown off by some VTG branded variants?

Hopefully someone can confirm...

08-04-17 DB Cargo 66034 - 6O10 Acton T.C - Cliffe Brett Marine

Class 66/0 No. 66034

with VTG branding

Those in the first photo are of the same type being produced by Cavalex, and they are doing the all white with no steps versions so you'd be good with those!

The VTG ones in the second photo are of a different diagram. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2023 at 20:34, TomE said:

I’ve got some ‘proper’ shots of the PGAs that’ll be on NGN later, but I really couldn’t resist posing these beautiful wagons on layout at scaleforum today. They’re just superb! 

IMG_5251.jpeg.f37810a6cd085f074fac5f6997cf5e2d.jpeg

Tom. 

Too modern for me but honoured to have them photographed on Tucking Mill. These really are stunning models.

Jerry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

These were wagons of my childhood, having seen them many times whilst waiting on the platform for a train from Peterborough back to Huntingdon, after family trips to John Lewis in the Queensgate Centre (and McDonalds 🤣 !).

…. mainly for nostalgia reasons and because the model looks magnificent, order duly placed for a $*** load of these - if that doesn’t push the project into profit, nothing will…. 🤑 😂 !!!

Look forward to them arriving soon!

• Thanks 1