All new RTR PGA wagon in 2mm scale

Grimleygrid

Hi Cav and Alex,

I have just received my PGAs, fantastic gentleman I wish I had need and could afford a rake of 36 wagons. 

A fantastic model as superb as the 4mm version for me model of the year without a doubt. Please support this venture N gauge modellers as future models to this standard is a must. Well done Alex and Cav  and thank you for delivering this superb project.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Although I'm not an N gauge modeller, I had a look over my mates wagons the other day, while they are nice wagons there was a couple of issues that we picked up on, one being the cosmetic coupling hook is fitted off centre in one of the brake pipe holes and where the hook should be is blanked off, which is something that wasn't on decorated samples but looking back at pre-production samples they are off centre on them. The other issue he found was he was unable to get any replacement coupling to engage into the NEM pocket.

Firstly, I am full agreement with Duncan, as a N gauge modeller these wagons set new standards, they are superb.

Secondly, I am also in agreement with the comments that Shaun66 makes around the couplings.

For me, the couplings are the wagons biggest area of criticism. The NEM box is simply too small, it surely cannot meet the so called "standards".

You can see that the shanks of the couplings are on the narrow side.

It is lovely that being small it disappears from view but, as is mentioned replacement couplings do not fit in.

The fitted couplings also have a tendancy to drop causing my rake to split or even derail when the drooping coupling catches on pointwork.

All is not lost however as Dapol easi-shunts just need a bit of careful filing off the width of the shank BEHIND the two pips. It also helps taking a smidgen off the length at the rear as well, et voila, they fit.

Worth mentioning that the medium size are the shortest that I have found to work, using a short resulted in buffer locking.

I have found that Hunt magnetic couplers fit without issue, OK maybe here and there a slight tweek. Also the coupling gap can be reduced if you use "Close" & "Intermediates" at alternate ends.

So my rake of 28 plus two spare are fitted with Dapol easi-shunts at the end and Hunts throughout the rest of the rake and all seems good.

Just need a decent pair of 25's or a Peak to haul them now.

I also found that when I opened mine I had a few wheelsets drop out and also two wagons with wheelsets actually missing, presumably dropping out on packing in China, for which Rails sent out replacements very quickly.

In particular, although not exlusively so, this was with REDA14835 in the original grey band livery for some reason.

These wagons seem to suffer from similar issues to the NGS VIX van in that the holes for the wheelsets seen oversize compared to the axle/pinpoint diameter.

An hour spent very gently squeezing in the supension frames has sorted the loose fit issue as well.

So, whilst in my case they have certainly not been perfect out of the box, although damn close, I am delighted with them, to the point that I am considering a second rake so as I can load them, as removable loads will be difficult with the lovely cross bracing inside the hopper.

Roll on the next Cavalex N scale project that hopefully I can get behind and back.

• Like 1

Thank you Shaun66 and Scott B for your messages and feedback.
Cav and I appreciate all comments and Customer feedback is very important to us.

We are currently discussing the raised issues with the factory and will respond in due course.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues and we will do our utmost to work closely with the factory to resolve these issues on future releases going forward.

Thank you to everyone that has supported our N PGA wagon project.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll have a full review of these wagons up on NGN during next week. Currently in the process of changing jobs and selling/buying property so a bit behind with reviews but I'm hugely impressed by them and will be building up a rake of 21 white versions which will then be weathered to represent a set near the end of their in service life. 

cavalexpga.jpg.d04e4fb978dda6da23dca296582ba3ba.jpg

I have found a few of those I have suffer from droopy couplings and that might cause issues for those that have AWS ramps etc installed, but I've had them running around a loop of unitrack for a good while and haven't suffered any train separation issues. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

Hi Tom. I have looked at a lot of these now and never seen one yet with droopy couplings at all. The only ones that appear to droop for me is a case of the NEM pocket having been caught on the brake gear and thus holding it down a little. Once pushed up to disengage it from the brake bar it works normally. Have you got some pictures that you can send of drooping example? 

Cheers

Cav

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RBE said:

Hi Tom. I have looked at a lot of these now and never seen one yet with droopy couplings at all. The only ones that appear to droop for me is a case of the NEM pocket having been caught on the brake gear and thus holding it down a little. Once pushed up to disengage it from the brake bar it works normally. Have you got some pictures that you can send of drooping example? 

Cheers

Cav

I'll double check that's not the case then Cav, will let you know! 

Cheers, 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2023 at 07:01, Scott B said:

and also two wagons with wheelsets actually missing

Yep, me too - mine was Redland large…. no wheels is a bit of impediment for a train 😂 !

No big deal - RoS had a replacement pair with me the following day.

A really top class wagon…. been trying to justify the all-white to run with my DB HKAs - there was a fairly short cross-over of them running together, but could be hard to resist….!

40 minutes ago, JR_P said:

Yep, me too - mine was Redland large…. no wheels is a bit of impediment for a train 😂 !

No big deal - RoS had a replacement pair with me the following day.

A really top class wagon…. been trying to justify the all-white to run with my DB HKAs - there was a fairly short cross-over of them running together, but could be hard to resist….!

I’ll leave this pic from Flickr here for you:

66 083 at Grinstead Hill on the 14.15 Barham Sidings - Mountsorrel

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2