I was thinking of having a go with Dingham couplings would anyone recommend them

MarcD

It all depends on your curves. For 4 wheel stock by and large there is no problem and bogie stock works if the curves aren't too sharp depending on the overhang. If you are modelling a shunting plank with number 5 or 6 turnouts there should be no trouble at all. I've used them in 4mm for 15+ years and would never go back.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This looks like a very simple system to use.  I note that in some of the You Tube videos, a small circular magnet is placed between two sleepers.  This creates the problem of the operator having to hit the right spot to carry out the uncoupling.  Is it not possible to put a bar magnet underneath the board running lengthways so that the operator does not have to be so precise in stopping the train at a particular point which if they miss it, leaves them having to move back and fore thus destroying the illusion?

• RMweb Gold

If you are propelling stock over an energized electromagnet, and the Dinghams are properly fitted to the rolling stock, the coupling will flip and release 'on the fly'.

Properly weighted wagons and either very strong buffer springs or non sprung buffers helps prevent the two vehicles concerned bouncing back against each other due to lack of inertia and recoupling.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2018 at 00:49, Junctionmad said:

I found fitting dinghams to bogie goods vehicles very problematic , as the coupling really needs to be on the bogie and not the drawbar

There is a solution to that problem:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118922-kylestrome’s-4mm-workbench-–-prestwin-diag-1274/#elControls_2707035_menu

Scroll down the page to the Dingham coupling modification post.

David

I have had to modify some of our steel under-framed wagons. I retro fitted some couplings and they were pulled out of line with the force of the spring. To stop this happening I had some small blocks made that fit at the back of the buffer beam. This has stopped the coupling pull to the side.

Marc