A Cautionary tale (Jon Gavin, Peakdale works)

A Cautionary Tale

It is with regret and a heavy heart that I feel compelled to write this but, I hope, you will see that I have been left with little alternative.

Back in early 2017 I struck up a conversation with Jon Gavin via Flickr where I had seen some of his respray work. The chat centred on his work and the possibility of respraying some bogie Tarpaulin wagons I had at the time. Following a very good conversation a price was agreed and the two tarpaulin wagons, along with two POA kits, and some EWS transfers I didn't want any more, were sent off to Jon’s home. A further tarpaulin wagon was purchased from Hattons and sent direct to Jon’s address, bringing the total to three wagons to be resprayed.

In due course Jon created some excellent custom decals to be applied to the three wagons, and by the end of March two wagons were ready. I was sent photos of the work done, and duly paid up for the work on the two completed wagons. I was more than happy with the work shown in the pictures, so decided that it was only fair to pay up promptly to show my appreciation.

In November Jon approached me and showed me some SPA wagon hoods that he was making to see if I was interested, I ordered two and at the same time paid for the last Tarpaulin wagon that had now been finished.

Some days later I asked Jon for a price to respray a Bachmann Class 37 into the identity of 37688 in Railfreight triple grey livery. Again, with the price agreed, I bought a donor Class 37 from the Rails of Sheffield eBay outlet.

In March 2018, Jon contacted me via FB messenger to ask if I was happy with the job he'd done with the respray, and to check if the numbers were in the right location on the nose ends. At the time he showed me the pictures I had a household bill to pay so I asked him for a weeks grace to settle up until my next pay day, which was agreed. The following week I paid Jon £104 (March 24th), made up of £100 for the work and £4 postage costs.

By the 6th of April neither the Tarpaulin wagon nor 37688 had arrived and I contacted Jon to ask if there were any problems and had he had any news. It was at this point things started to go wrong. A pattern became established that would repeat itself in that various excuses would be given as to why the items, which he had sent me photographs of as completed, were not being delivered. These ranged from he'd not had time to finish them (even though he'd shown me pictures of the two finished articles), been too busy to deal with them, car problems (his own, his mate’s and his partner’s), and various health issues (his own or his son).

Naturally, when he said that his son had been in hospital I was anxious not to pressure him too much as of course things take a back seat in such situations.
However, as time passed and four weeks had elapsed since I'd paid, I reminded Jon that I'd not received my two items of stock. Again, my reminder to him was met with similar excuses but he said that he'd get round to posting them to me.

A further eight weeks passed, and so I again contacted him, to be met with further excuses, or on occasions just ignored, By now my patience was wearing thin, I felt I had been more than fair in giving him some space whilst he was claiming to be having family problems, but given that he had sent me photos of the completed items I could not fathom why it was proving so difficult to wrap them up and post them to me. I even offered to sort out a Hermes collection to avoid the need for him to actually take the items to a post office or collection point.

I then made copies of my PayPal receipts remind Jon I had paid in full, as well as stating my displeasure that my two items being kept from me. There followed a few perfunctory exchanges before I received a message from Jon’s partner that due to ill health, she would be sorting out the outstanding issues, which led me to think this issue would be resolved.

Unfortunately, after this promising start, a similar pattern of evasive behaviour and excuses became established. Again I have re-iterated my offer to organise a collection via Hermes to minimise the need to physically go out and drop off the items but there has been no response. I am beginning to doubt whether the items remain with Jon.

As I write this on the 6th June 2018, I am still out of pocket to the tune of £305 and have nothing to show for this.

Those of you who know me will know I have a reputation for being a forthright, even blunt, speaker but I genuinely do not like the idea of having to publish the sorry catalogue of broken agreements and lack of good faith that I have experienced with Jon Gavin. His work was excellent and the items that were returned I was more than happy with, which makes the current situation all the more depressing. I feel I have shown incredible patience and a willingness to accept some of the reasons he gave me why he hadn’t forwarded my items on face value. I understand that the work is done on a cottage-industry basis and that sometimes life intervenes but, given the items were shown in photos sent to me as being finished, and that I even offered to organise my own collection of the items, I cannot see what the problem is and I’m now left feeling frustrated, and not a little cheated.

I hope members of the model railway community take on board my experiences, as I do know from speaking to a fellow modeler that this isn't the first time that this has happened, and can therefore, understand my sincere regret that I have been forced into this, but please, do be wary.

The above has also been posted on my Pendeford Yard page over on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pendefordyard/posts/401808620320461 , this has already lead to someone contacting me to say that they'd also lost out to Jon.

41920473744_37abd9965c_b.jpgwagon on my layout by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

41920473194_7e8627a039_z.jpgEasiloader by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

40830747070_5ddcce94d4_z.jpgCargowaggon by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

42638901071_42827d7be2_b.jpgreceipt for 2 hoods and tarp wagon repaint by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

41920474104_b6a4fed91d_b.jpgpayment to Rails for Bachmann class 37 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

41920474534_867dde142a_b.jpgitems of stock by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

42638902061_a16854028f_b.jpgitems of stock 2 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

42588131892_2b4801dedd_b.jpgTransferry wagon Flickr by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

40830747210_43a8229697_b.jpgpayment for the Class 37 respray by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

A big shame, mate.

He certainly has had plenty of time in which to, at the very least, return your items (uncompleted if need be).

However, you don't really know the state of his mind, it could be that he has simply shut himself off from the world.

Maybe send him a physical recorded letter (not an email!) asking him to return all your items by XX date (say, two weeks?) and if you have had no further contact by such date, you will start legal proceedings against him in the small claims court.

This should prompt him or his partner/carer into action.

I write this as someone who was once on the 'other side', fortunately, my mental state was such that I was able to keep my customer suitably informed and he remained patient until I did complete the job! I can say that such things can be very stressful but communication is the key to resolving such things. Hard, if it's a one way street though.

My sympathies and I hope this helps,

John.

A big shame, mate.

He certainly has had plenty of time in which to, at the very least, return your items (uncompleted if need be).

However, you don't really know the state of his mind, it could be that he has simply shut himself off from the world.

Maybe send him a physical recorded letter (not an email!) asking him to return all your items by XX date (say, two weeks?) and if you have had no further contact by such date, you will start legal proceedings against him in the small claims court.

I write this as someone who was once on the 'other side', fortunately, my mental state was such that I was able to keep my customer suitably informed and he remained patient until I did complete the job! I can say that such things can be very stressful but communication is the key to resolving such things. Hard, if it's a one way street though.

John.

Thanks for the words John, I think I've been very patient and as I've said, I did offer to pay for Hermes to collect the parcel from his front door, all was met with silence.

my son was offered some detailing parts for a class 37via facebook model page , as yet nothing has arrived , doubt it will ? i had noticed his profile was changing frequently on facebook

Sorry to hear this Baz, it's very disappointing to hear that I'm not the only one to fall victim to Jon. His current username on FB is Jon Dogg Gavin.

Unfortunately you are not the only one, funnily enough I had exactly the same situation a few years back - his quality of work is good but let down by everything else.

I’m not saying small claims court is a waste of time but he registered as bankrupt - in my experience he didn’t answer any letters or the bailiffs.

Yes, I’d heard of other issues with this chap and it’s a shame, as his stuff looks really nice.

I’ve only had one 5hing resprayed and that was by ********** in Luton , and then they started doing a disappearing act as well.

A big shame, mate.

John.

I do wonder if he's well or not, we follow each other on Flickr and I can't remember seeing anything of his for a while.

Not, I must add, to excuse in any way the failure to deliver products that have already been paid for.

John.

I do wonder if he's well or not, we follow each other on Flickr and I can't remember seeing anything of his for a while.

Not, I must add, to excuse in any way the failure to deliver products that have already been paid for.

John.

To some extent I'd agree with you but when the chap in question has time to attend the Severn Valley Diesel gala in May (he has pictures on Flickr to prove it) I do ask why he couldn't stop at his local Post Office to drop of my stock. I checked, his nearest Post Office by car is 1.8 miles away and as I said I had offered more than once to pay (bearing in mind I'd already given him £4 to cover postage) Hermes to collect the package from his front door.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear this Baz, it's very disappointing to hear that I'm not the only one to fall victim to Jon. His current username on FB is Jon Dogg Gavin.

Unfortunately you are not the only one, funnily enough I had exactly the same situation a few years back - his quality of work is good but let down by everything else.

I’m not saying small claims court is a waste of time but he registered as bankrupt - in my experience he didn’t answer any letters or the bailiffs.

John.

From his Farcebook page it seems that Mr. Gavin studied Crime at Uni.....

As for ill health, he's well enough to be posting a new "Cover Photo" (of his car I'll bet - he mentions in a previous post "Getting A Scooby".  A nice looking blue 2002 Subaru Imprezza YF52 XOG) 3 weeks ago, followed by subsequent posts 2 weeks ago which mentions that he's running in his car going to work and back.  Apparently "only having one car has been a massive issue for him"..... :cry:

I'd go the small claims court route, followed by Bailiffs with the above car reg for starters.

i am a friend of jons and i am going to clear up a few things

firstly jon has asked Mr Barnes for his bank details so that he can refund his money and send back his goods

secondly why everybody feels the need to get invoved is beyond me IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU and i politley ask that you STOP SLANDERING jon now

thirdly jons car is in bits and has been since 2016 not that this is of any concern / business to anyone and whom ever put the reg plate on social media needs to remove it if jon wants to put his car as his cover picture that again is upto him and no one else this is a huge violation of jons privacy and needs to be removed with immediate effect before legal action is taken

fourthly you have only heard one side of this story and i kindly ask for you to keep your opinions to yourself i am not going to go into the state of jons mental health as it has nothing to do with anyone

lastly i ask that the post is respectivly removed and people stop getting involved this has now been blown well out of proportion due to everyone giving their ten pence worth this matter is between jon and Mr Barnes / the solicitors and this will also be added to the growing file of misconduct against jon just like the last topic a few years ago was but he choose to leave it as its just all pethetic and increasingly seems hes dealing with arm chair warriors and childishmen more and more

Thankyou

• Like 4

thirdly jons car is in bits and has been since 2016 not that this is of any concern / business to anyone and whom ever put the reg plate on social media needs to remove it if jon wants to put his car as his cover picture that again is upto him and no one else this is a huge violation of jons privacy and needs to be removed with immediate effect before legal action is taken

In bits & has been since 2016?? It only passed its MOT 22 days ago.

• Like 2

i whom ever put the reg plate on social media needs to remove it if jon wants to put his car as his cover picture that again is upto him and no one else this is a huge violation of jons privacy and needs to be removed with immediate effect before legal action is taken

You cannot make spurious threats to people when they are simply quoting information which that party has put in the public domain.

It is good that you say about the bank details. I am sure the OP will be happy to furnish Jon with those if needed again and he will be able to report back to readers that the refund has arrived and he has received his models back.

I will close the topic and have it re-opened when the OP can confirm it is resolved or re-open it again in 7 days if the matter is not resolved.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Andy for letting me update you on developments.

I'm happy to report that I have received my stock, the two wagons had been resprayed and were in great condition, unfortunately the Class 37 hadn't been resprayed as triple grey 37 688 despite being sent a photograph of a 37 resprayed as requested by Jon, which presumably must have been of someone else's loco.  Nevertheless, my donor loco has been returned in original condition.  I've been refunded the £50 I'd paid for the wagon hoods and the £100 I paid for the 37 respray which didn't happen, so all my money has been returned.

Jon has requested forcefully that I remove all postings on here and my Pendeford Yard Facebook page but I prefer to factually update the posts and let them stay.  Everything posted is factual, and I will not be passing any opinions and request others refrain from publicly doing likewise.  In fact I have no problem with the work that he has carried out, it has been good and it is a shame things have got to this unpleasant situation for all concerned.

I would like to re-iterate my thanks to Andy for allowing me to share this experience and for the support received from fellow forum members.  It is a shame it has taken this to get a resolution to my problems which could have been sorted much more quickly and less stressfully for everyone concerned much sooner, but we have now drawn this unfortunate dispute to a conclusion.

• Like 2