Class 43 Photos HST 🇬🇧, XPT 🇦🇺 & HST 🇲🇽

When Elland Road had proper floodlights...!

I heard Queen from a similar location 500 yards or so away when they played in the Elland Road ground, I was more into playing on the park at the time though

An incident at Doncaster. 27th June 1985.

A problem with the TGS led to it being shunted out of the formation using the rear power car. Can't remember where the coach was dumped but the power car was re-attached and the train continued south.

post-13274-0-66448300-1539981655.jpg

post-13274-0-98207000-1539981666.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A problem with the TGS led to it being shunted out of the formation using the rear power car. Can't remember where the coach was dumped but the power car was re-attached and the train continued south.

attachicon.gif1985-06-27 B HST split Doncaster.JPG

attachicon.gif1985-06-27 C HST split.JPG

Nice set of photos. Interesting to see them remove a coach mid journey. Wonder how often that sort of thing happened.

attachicon.gif1985-06-27 B HST split Doncaster.JPG

attachicon.gif1985-06-27 C HST split.JPG

Nice set of photos. Interesting to see them remove a coach mid journey. Wonder how often that sort of thing happened.

Not too often as far as I know.  When I was working on HST's over a 20 years time span I think I only ever had to split a set on two occasions.  Using the power cars for shunting was quite interesting as you could not see when setting back and you had to rely on a competent person to relay the signals to you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting.  Maybe its obvious but the first picture seems to show the front half rubbed down (or in undercoat/primer?) but with the InterCity 125 logo either already applied or not removed, both of which seem rather odd - it looks clean so I'm assuming freshly applied, surely they wouldn't paint the blue around it?!

Also interesting to see the orange stripe being painted by a man on a very sturdy looking "ladder on a ladder"... 

Interesting.  Maybe its obvious but the first picture seems to show the front half rubbed down (or in undercoat/primer?) but with the InterCity 125 logo either already applied or not removed, both of which seem rather odd - it looks clean so I'm assuming freshly applied, surely they wouldn't paint the blue around it?!

Also interesting to see the orange stripe being painted by a man on a very sturdy looking "ladder on a ladder"... 

Not that unusual, the works often filled and flatted off the old bodywork, the applied the InterCity125 transfer before undercoating then top coat. When dry the backing is pulled off the transfer doing it this way seals the edges.

Not that unusual, the works often filled and flatted off the old bodywork, the applied the InterCity125 transfer before undercoating then top coat. When dry the backing is pulled off the transfer doing it this way seals the edges.

The backing also acting as a very effective masking for the logo ensuring a crisp finish.

Interesting. I would have thought that if you applied the transfer then painted over it before removing the backing (fronting?) that you would effectively be breaking the surface of the paint to remove the backing?

Not if you removed the backing immediately when the paint was still wet.

Slightly blurred but something different..

Derby Works paintshop, November 1986. The photos don't have the powercar numbers but my old notebook says these two are 43053 and 43190..

attachicon.gif1986-11-22 P 43xxx paint shop.JPG

attachicon.gif1986-11-22 P 43xxx (2).JPG

attachicon.gif1986-11-22 P 43xxx.JPG

Thanks for posting, very interesting. With it being November 1986 I would have assumed they'd be going from Blue Grey to Intercity but am not sure, there is a lot of grey ( undercoat or intercity executive light grey ) but also what looks like fresh rail blue.

I have a couple of spotters guides which include liveries bu my 1986 one would have what it was was published not in November. Anyone with a 1987 version may be able to tell us assuming it was published post November of 1986.

Edited by Waverley47708

• RMweb Gold

All the decals were like this back in the day, I bought loads at a Derby works open day and was initially quite disappointed that they seemed to be paper not vinyl until I peeled off the front protective layer LOL

I had 44009 on my headboard for years

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting, very interesting. With it being November 1986 I would have assumed they'd be going from Blue Grey to Intercity but am not sure, there is a lot of grey ( undercoat or intercity executive light grey ) but also what looks like fresh rail blue.

I have a couple of spotters guides which include liveries bu my 1986 one would have what it was was published not in November. Anyone with a 1987 version may be able to tell us assuming it was published post November of 1986.

All power cars receiving overhauls by November 1986 were receiving Inter-City Executive Livery.  From May 87 Swallow Livery was being applied.

• RMweb Premium

Executive repaint as the lettering is solid white. Rail blue lettering would have been silver outline.

Dave