Class 43 Photos HST 🇬🇧, XPT 🇦🇺 & HST 🇲🇽

• RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2020 at 22:31, adb968008 said:

Not everyone gets to eat.

its a combination of First Class and Pullman Dining.

They just need a Maroon Western now, to rescue it if it fails.

Cant wait to see it, on its Inagural run in 2 weeks.

Even so, they would not have been able to cook premium meals for 96+ Pullman passengers and do buffet service from one catering vehicle for the First Class. So, as I thought, it turns out that they have created a complete RK (as per an earlier reply).

On 31/10/2020 at 09:52, LNERandBR said:

To be completely honest I'm not sure about the front end. The lack of yellow and the fact the windscreen and headlight areas are white makes it look odd. 

Think I need to see more pictures of it in the daylight. 

I'm sure about it.

It looks bloody awful, but I also though that of the Blue Pullman itself. It looked like someone had based it on a model which had partially melted. I believe I am in a minority with that view.

It was a technical disaster. Designed as a 100mph luxury train, it wasn't powerful enough to run at that speed so was 'restricted' to 90 & the ride was so rough is was anything but luxury.

The one thing it got right was prove the twin lightweight power car concept for the HST.

The HST on the other hand was a massive success. A well maintained Mk3 is the most comfortable train I have ever travelled on at speed & it increased maximum speeds by a large margin while adhering to standard stopping distances.

Trains without yellow fronts are still going to take some getting used to. I'm not sure that the white round the windscreens being shaped like that really works.

But it's pretty smart overall. Hopefully it'll be a success for it's promoters.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

Trains without yellow fronts are still going to take some getting used to. I'm not sure that the white round the windscreens being shaped like that really works.

But it's pretty smart overall. Hopefully it'll be a success for it's promoters.

I think they've done that because that's what the original looked like. However that was because the white followed the shape/frames of the windscreens - on the HST it would've looked better if they'd kept the white band straight at the top.

Also with just the one, central, windscreen, the livery gives it a kind of 'cyclops' look.

Overall though, very smart.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, keefer said:

think they've done that because that's what the original looked like.

Which is the whole problem really. Rather than try to update the scheme and ask the question "what if the Blue Pullman concept had lasted until now and been used on a HST?", they've just painted the original scheme onto something a completely different shape.

Just the same as when they paint a diesel into a steam era paint scheme for example the GWR pre1948 livery 57 - there's no way that if the GWR was still in existence in the 2010s they'd still be using their 1940s branding. But that's another matter entirely.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Just the same as when they paint a diesel into a steam era paint scheme for example the GWR pre1948 livery 57 - there's no way that if the GWR was still in existence in the 2010s they'd still be using their 1940s branding. But that's another matter entirely.

I dont know, the GWR were very backwards in moving forwards. Aside of the Roundel, GWR and Great Western, nothing changed in nearly 100 years, indeed they even convinced BR to roll with the same livery, and eventually diesels in BR Green off the back of that.

I do think though GWR today has got it right, it is a modern carry over of GWR, it feels like the design team started by looking at the history.

As for Midland Pullman HST it looks great.

What else could they do with it ?

Blue/Grey (the ECML set..  & Intercity (LSLs other fleet).

A maroon HST wouldnt make sense, the only other option was reverse Blue /Grey.. but Pullman brand looks better.

As it is they've created a brand of upscale days out..

https://midlandpullman.com

Maybe someday we’ll see Brighton Belle too, joining Belmond, Northern Belle and Queen of Scots for luxury trains... I wouldnt be surprised if the Royal Train joined that list someday.

Edited by adb968008

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What else could they do with it ?

Blue/Grey (the ECML set..  & Intercity (LSLs other fleet).

A maroon HST wouldnt make sense, the only other option was reverse Blue /Grey.. but Pullman brand looks better.

The Blue Pullman brand is a decent idea, but with some kind of updates to acknowledge that several decades have passed since that was invented, and that the HST isn't the same shape as the original train sets were.

A bit like how GWR have updated that brand - Southern have done a decent job too, and I don't know if LNER would have picked red, but if they'd used blue then that would work too.

I do like the concept of the "Blue Pullman" scheme on a class 43 train formation, but i agree with Zomboid that they should have thought about updating the livery and taken the shape of the power car into consideration.

Personally, I always thought the original blue/grey livery with the yellow nose colour continued down the sides of the power car created a highly dynamic livery; like the effect of a bright light passing by in darkness leaves an "afterburn" on the retina, the "swoosh" of yellow down the sides of the power car always seemed to imply movement even when stationary.

Having seen the new Blue Pullman, I now intend to model my own interpretation (with a cheap Lima set off eBay!) incorporating my own ideas about the livery. At least it won't turn out worse than the model I found on eBay of a Triang 'Blue Pullman' turned out in traditional Pullman umber and cream livery!

HOURS OF FUN!

UPDATE

I found the photos of the model in question ... EEEK!

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added photos

Some images of the HST Midland Pullman in daylight have now appeared on Facebook.

Whilst it's grown on me slightly I still think the whole front end being blue below the windscreens looks odd on a HST. The way the white has a curved top also looks strange. I get that they wanted to match the original but they could have taken the HST's different shape into account there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today 11.12.20 was the last day of the East Midlands Railways class 43 PaxmanVP185 engined HST power cars.

The ex LNER MTU engined ones continue in service and a number of VP185s continue in other uses, but the classic HST era rapidly draws to a close in everyday service. 

See Twitter for some evocative images and videos including the classic ‘howl’, now gone. 

Here is a photo by Andy H. Taken at Kettering this evening of the last down working.

Dava

2164C67B-BE18-4324-A4C2-4DF34632560A.jpeg.ca6fc1d2b34bfccda171a1cc4389296e.jpeg

• Like 15

It will never happen but I think the buffer fitted hsts would have looked better for this repaint. Also the splash of red around the buffers, and a small tweak of the white above the cab window, perhaps going over the new top light in the middle? Definitely keep away from the yellow though. Otherwise a beautiful recreation of a past luxury train, which contrary to popular belief, wasn't actually unsuccessful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The new 'Midland Pullman' did sound superb as it whistled south past Comberford (Tamworth) on the return yesterday...the magical golden orb in the sky made an appearance too, although had the train been much later the light might’ve gone...

(photos from Flickr, link from YouTube)

Midland Pullman LSL 43055 & 43046 - 1Z45, Tamworth

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...