• RMweb Premium

It's probably a bit early to be asking this but has anyone re-gauged their Cemflos to EM or P4?

I've been fiddling about for a couple of hours this afternoon with one and have so far failed spectacularly to achieve this using Gibson replacement EM wheelsets.

There's a plastic collar on the rear of the W-iron which I have thinned down and used a reaming tool to deepen the hole for the axle pinpoint but I still can't get the wheelset to run freely. I've actually gone through to the outside of the axlebox though it's not really noticeable.

I'll have another go tomorrow as I've reached the point where I'm getting somewhat frustrated with it.

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 1

Being supplied with axles that are a full 1.25 mm shorter than the standard 26mm will certainly make life interesting for us trying to change wheesets. With the brake gear removed so I could see what's happening once the bosses were removed and axlebox holes deepened to the required depth, the outside of a P4 wheel still fouls on the handbrake actuating rod that runs behind the W Irons on one side

My LA 200 also appears to be missing its ID number.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, drjcontroller said:

It's probably a bit early to be asking this but has anyone re-gauged their Cemflos to EM or P4?

I've been fiddling about for a couple of hours this afternoon with one and have so far failed spectacularly to achieve this using Gibson replacement EM wheelsets.

There's a plastic collar on the rear of the W-iron which I have thinned down and used a reaming tool to deepen the hole for the axle pinpoint but I still can't get the wheelset to run freely. I've actually gone through to the outside of the axlebox though it's not really noticeable.

I'll have another go tomorrow as I've reached the point where I'm getting somewhat frustrated with it.

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

can you send this as an email to info@accurascale.co.uk and mark it for the attention of our technical director as I believe he has a solution? We will post it as a blog on our site too during the week after the Ally Pally madness dies down.

Cheers,

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 071 said:

Hi Douglas,

can you send this as an email to info@accurascale.co.uk and mark it for the attention of our technical director as I believe he has a solution? We will post it as a blog on our site too during the week after the Ally Pally madness dies down.

Cheers,

Fran

Will do Fran, thanks for your quick response.

Douglas

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Being supplied with axles that are a full 1.25 mm shorter than the standard 26mm will certainly make life interesting for us trying to change wheesets. With the brake gear removed so I could see what's happening once the bosses were removed and axlebox holes deepened to the required depth, the outside of a P4 wheel still fouls on the handbrake actuating rod that runs behind the W Irons on one side

Hmmm, don't remember seeing that mentioned in the spec?

I thought the mindset behind Accurascale wagons was easy gauge conversion.

If it's an involved process I don't fancy doing an entire rake, especially with my sausage fingers.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Is that LA200?  I only ask because it's anonymous.

Hi Chard,

You can see the ACPM LA200 on the plate, which is the only numerals LA200 carried on that side, as modelled, HTH!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

From the Accurascale website, items 7 and 10 refer.

Highly detailed, accurate scale model

Factory-fitted detail parts (brake pipes, lamp irons, etc.) 

Factory-fitted etched solebar details

Factory-fitted pipework

Sprung buffers

Fully detailed underframe (including brake rigging and hangers)

Blackened metal  12.6mm 3-hole disc wheels on metal axles, RP25.110 profile sets with 14.4mm back to backs and 26mm over pinpoints

NEM coupler pockets fitted with narrow tension lock couplers

Additional internal weight

Designed for EM and P4

Mike.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From the Accurascale website, items 7 and 10 refer.

Highly detailed, accurate scale model

Factory-fitted detail parts (brake pipes, lamp irons, etc.) 

Factory-fitted etched solebar details

Factory-fitted pipework

Sprung buffers

Fully detailed underframe (including brake rigging and hangers)

Blackened metal  12.6mm 3-hole disc wheels on metal axles, RP25.110 profile sets with 14.4mm back to backs and 26mm over pinpoints

NEM coupler pockets fitted with narrow tension lock couplers

Additional internal weight

Designed for EM and P4

Highly detailed, accurate scale model                                                    √ Check              

Factory-fitted detail parts (brake pipes, lamp irons, etc.)                   √ Check       

Factory-fitted etched solebar details                                                     √ Check       

Factory-fitted pipework                                                                            √ Check       

Sprung buffers                                                                                           √ Check       

Fully detailed underframe (including brake rigging and hangers)    √ Check       * Plenty of clearance for P4.

Blackened metal  12.6mm 3-hole disc wheels on metal axles, RP25.110 profile sets with 14.4mm back to backs  √ Check       

and 26mm over pinpoints                                                                        X*  Those naughty people in China?

NEM coupler pockets fitted with narrow tension lock couplers        √ Check       

Additional internal weight                                                                        √ Check  Still a bit on the light side for my personal taste but sorted via local church roof      

Designed for EM and P4                                                                           X*   Hmmmmmm. Sorted with a bit of graft.

* Give us a chance I haven't taken my curlers out yet.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Porcy,

Many thanks for the feedback ! :)

On the pinpoints, we've double and triple checked there is 26mm there - are you removing the collars? Do please PM us with some info / pics if that suits?

On the weight, the cemflo are about the 50g mark - which should be bang on the money (both in terms of nrma guidelines, and good running :)

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, McC said:

Do please PM us with some info / pics if that suits?

How's this for starters. Maybe I have a one off?

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining. Tis a fine model. Just making observations on mine. Load more photies but you've caught me in the middle of washing my smalls, making the tea, washing my hair, adding the missing ribs to the Cemflo discharge apparatus etc., etc.

A'scaleCemflo1.jpg.19d4b5f59c8f6e17b7bd6cdc1ff410af.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
Spilling

• RMweb Gold

Hi Porcy,

The wagon distance between pinpoints is 26mm - the fitted axles are OO standard, hence 24.73 - that's correct.

To fit 26mm, you remove the OO axle collars and fit new wheelsets.

HTH!

Stephen

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

Hi Porcy,

The wagon distance between pinpoints is 26mm - the fitted axles are OO standard, hence 24.73 - that's correct.

To fit 26mm, you remove the OO axle collars and fit new wheelsets.

HTH!

Stephen

As Monty Python would say, this is getting silly.

4mm pinpoint axles have always been to a "common standard" of 26mm overall length, irrespective of gauge. Lima decided to use HO axles and therefore were short, have we gone back to those days?

Mike.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, McC said:

So what you're saying is the accurascale wheels with a 24.73mm axle length is kept in it's central position by the collars but  provision has been made with sufficient clearance within the axlebox moulding to fit EM & P4 wheelsets fitted with 26mm axles once the collars have been removed?

That's not the case with mine. Using a standard 26mm axle with no wheels fitted causes the axle guards to splay outwards by a noticeable amount. To get my wheels to rotate besides removing the collar, I had to deepen the bearing holes. I decided to go the full hog and deepen them sufficiently to fit non collared brass bearings. Seems like I've encountered a similar problem to Douglas above.

The wheel front using P4 Gibsons still rubs on Handbrake shaft but using an EM wheelset is ok. Trial fitting of Scale width P4 Exactoscale wheels means very little material needs to be removed from the collar and no rubbing on the brake shaft.

Just measured some Hornby & Bachmann axles at 26mm over pinpoints.

Oxford rail are 26.5mm and Heljan comes out @ 26.3 but with some weird coning angle.

Stephen, it's Sunday night, you've just had a hectic week getting all the parcels out and a full show weekend to boot so lets sort this out later. No worries it's only toy trains after all.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Confusion seems to be reigning here, and we’re a little fried after a busy weekend.

we specified 26mm axles for the factory as we followed the template of the HUO and advice we obtained from the likes of EM gauge society and scalefour society. It seems that China has given us slightly smaller axles than we asked for. 

When we get back to Dublin and get down to business in the next day or two we will have a proper analysis of this situation and find a workable solution and inform you of how we went about it. Our designer will be on the case from tomorrow morning.

At the end of the day we want to make these things as easy as we can. The Cemflo seems a bit of a challenge but we will get there.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by 071
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2